Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 6, 2006, 9:59 AM   #11
Administrator

sail978 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the imput. I really do like the Konica 5D from what I've read. The problem is I haven't been able to actually get my hands on one to see how it feels. I'm also concerned about warrenty problems. Is Sony handling these?
As for getting your hands on one.... good luck. They're a bit hard to find right now. You'd probably have better luck finding a 7D. You may want to call around and see if you can locate one at a Circuit City, Wolf/Ritz camera, etc. They've been sold out on their web sites for quite a while now. But, from time to time, I see someone reporting finding one. Someone on another forum recently reported getting a 5D kit for something like $477 at one Circuit City store. That's a steal.

I wouldn't overlook the 7D either. Wal-Mart has some 7D kits now for only $699 (at least on their web site). The 7D is a little larger and heavier camera. But, that's gives you a better grip surface and would be easier to handle with larger lenses. It's also got a better viewfinder, more features, larger buffer and more.

Given that this body was selling for $100 more than the Canon EOS-20D and $600 more than the Nikon D70 when it was first introduced, it's a real bargain at current prices while supplies last.

Yes, Sony is handling service for Konica Minolta models. That was part of the arrangement with Konica Minolta when they acquired some of KM's assets.

Service information from Sony:

Quote:
Effective April 1, 2006, Sony Electronics will be providing service and repair of certain Konica-Minolta products in the United States. Sony is pleased to provide existing Konica-Minolta customers an excellent customer service experience. All terms and conditions of the Konica-Minolta products' limited warranty continue to apply.
Sony Support for Konica Minolta Cameras, Lenses and Accessories

Quote:
I see that Sony is coming out with its new DSLR and that lenses will still be made to be compatable with the Konica Minolta. I don't see what the price points are going to be but I assume because it's 'Sony', they're going to be high priced for what you get - usually overpriced.
List will be $899 for the body only, and $999 for a body with a kit lens. You can see Steve's First Look Preview of the new Alpha 100 here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_.../alpha100.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 1:20 PM   #12

I'm gonna call a couple of places further away from me and see if anyone has anything on a shelf. How are the kit lenses? And what would you reccommend as an additional zoom lens. I don't mind a heavier camera. I don't know how people can shoot decent stuff with these tiny cameras and camcorders, no matter how high the quality. My 13 year old is getting into this stuff and even she prefers the heavier equipment. She even liked the feel of the Nikon over the Canon Rebel XT.

Thanks again.
sail978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 1:50 PM   #13
Administrator

My usual walk around lens is a Minolta 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5

I also have the 18-70mm kit lens, but I haven't used it a lot.

There are many lenses available in Minolta AF mount. Here are some of them:

Fixed Focal Length Lenses

Macro Lenses

Zoom Lenses

What you need will depend on the subject type, conditions, use for the images, and your expectation of quality. Size and weight can also come into the equation (you may not want to lug around a larger and heavier lens, or multple lenses for a desired focal range, so you may want compromise in some areas)

You really need to take each lens on a case by case basis, looking at things like focal length/range, brightness, ergonomics, AF Speed, resistance to flare, color, contrast, sharpness, size, weight, cost and more.

No one lens is going to be perfect for all uses in all conditions.

So far, I've got the following lenses in Minolta AF Mount:

28mm f/2 (my favorite for low light use, sharp and bright and wide enough for most indoor use). It will behave like a 42mm lens when used on a KM DSLR (lenses appear to be longer on a DSLR).

50mm f/1.7 (sharp and bright) -- a bit long for close quarters since it will appear to be 1.5 times longer from an angle of view perspective on a DSLR (it will behave like a 75mm lens). But, very useful if you're not in close quarters and want a sharp lens.

100mm f/2 (very sweet lens -- highly recommended). Perfectly usable, even wide open. It works like a 150mm lens from an angle of view perpective when used on a KM DSLR. This lens tests better at all apertures compared to the Minolta 85mm f/1.4G according to the MTF tests at http://www.photodo.com

135mm f/2.8 (for when I need something a bit longer). Very Good lens... not quite as sharp as the 100mm f/2 at wide open apertures, but still better than most lenses. This one will have approximately the same angle of view (apparent magnifcation) as you'd have using a 200mm lens on a 35mm camera.

24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 (rapidly becoming my favorite "walk around" lens). After the 1.5x multiplier for angle of view differences, this lens works like a 36-128mm lens would on a 35mm camera.

35-70mm f/4 Macro (sharp and dirt cheap on the used market). I only paid $52 for a working Minolta Maxxum 7000 including this lens at keh.com

18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 (kit lens with Maxxum 5D) -- Small and light for it's focal range (designed to work only on DSLR models so they can make it smaller). I rarely use it. But, since you have a narrower angle of view with a DSLR, a wider lens like this is a good idea (works out to a 35mm equivalent focal range of around 27-105mm after the 1.5x multiplier).

I've also got some Tamron lenses that work with it (SP 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5, SP 35-105mm f/2.8 ).

I'm not much of a long lens shooter. So, you may want to ask for opinions in the KM DSLR forum here if you decide to go that route.

Old Jun 6, 2006, 2:00 PM   #14

I've found the 18-70 kit lens is actually decent, from f8 up. Its slow and basicly useless in low light, but works very well when you have a tripod. It shows its price when compared to good glass like my Tamron 90mm macro (an outstanding lens).

I dont do much long lens stuff, but I like my 100-200 f/4.5. The default good lens is the 70-210 f/4 'beercan'. Both are used only, the former going for $60-70 and the latter $150-200. Another option could be the 70-210 f3.5-4.5, a slightly newer lens. They are all close in performance, with the beercan being the best and also the biggest.

AVOID the f/3.5-5.6 version.

The lens I covet is the sigma 18-50 f/2.8 or Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. Both newer $400-450 lenses which seem to be great peformers (other than Sigmas awful QC) and are two stops faster than the kit lens. The new Sony 16-80 looks interesting (and expensive), and should be out around the time of the Tokina 16-50/2.8 this fall. The reason is that while I have an assortment of lenses most of my pictures are taken at 18mm-50mm (reviewing the exif). Most of my favorite pictures have been taken with the kit lens, despite my not liking it much.

In the end, its all about what you want it to do. The 7d kit at walmart is a steal right now with the 28-75 lens. I've heard good things, but I'd REALLY miss the wide angle.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 2:17 PM   #15
Administrator

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:
The 7d kit at walmart is a steal right now with the 28-75 lens. I've heard good things, but I'd REALLY miss the wide angle.
AFAIK, Wal-Mart doesn't have a 7D kit with the 28-75mm.

They have two 7D kits. One of them isn't much of a deal (7D with 28-100mm lens for $977.54 ).

The other is a 7D with the 18-70mm (5D kit lens) for $699. That's a good deal.

It's no longer showing up in their search engine. But, the link still gets to it:

Minolta 7D with 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 DT AF lens at Wal-Mart for $699

The good deal with the 7D and 28-75mm f/2.8 is at Adorama ($899.95 for the kit):

http://www.adorama.com/IMN7DK1.html
Old Jun 6, 2006, 3:05 PM   #16

Well Vince- if you were useing a point and shoot camera - Im assumeing you havent gotten into a more sufficicated (sp?) digital and feel you would be very happy with the Panasonic FZ 30, with a 12 x optical (36-420mm 35mm equiv.)and lens made my Leica (or are you too young to appreciate the Leica quality- ha). It's quite a camera!!! 8 meg too. Hot shoe. Swival 2 inch viewer, selling just over 500. Very well placed adjustments. Oh- and don't want to forget to mention the great Video capabilities- (AND you can zoom with this video too (no noise because it's a mechanical zoom) Shoots video at 30fps or 10 fps 640 and 320 and as long as the card (SD) will hold. Steve's digicam will give you all the particulars as you no doubt know.
fzlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 5:54 PM   #17
rey

Sony announced their A100 today. It has 10MP, IS, and dust vibration. You may wanna check it out.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_.../alpha100.html

I currently have the D50 and very happy with it. I'm also not invested heavily on Nikon lenses, so I'm interested on how Sony's camera and lens combination will compare to Nikon's current and possible future cameras. Mostly I'm interested on a wide angle lens (10-20 or 12-24 range), and see if Sony's combo can compare with Nikon's 18-200VR lens.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:56 AM   #18

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Wal-Mart doesn't have a 7D kit with the 28-75mm.

They have two 7D kits. One of them isn't much of a deal (7D with 28-100mm lens for $977.54 ).

The other is a 7D with the 18-70mm (5D kit lens) for $699. That's a good deal.

It's no longer showing up in their search engine. But, the link still gets to it:

Minolta 7D with 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 DT AF lens at Wal-Mart for $699

I am wondering if there is something of a misprint with the WallyWorld, or maybe something else going on.

Why?

Because the standard kit lens converts to about 27-105mm (35mm equiv) and the lens that Wally is listing with the more expensive camera is 28-100mm hmmmm? Does KM have a 28-100digital lens? Or could the length be listed incorrect?

Then, the less expensive camera is listed as a special buy. That is one heck of a price reduction for a camera that was introduced on the market at $1500.

Is Wally selling off the excess KM inventory? Good thing for us. I am about to jump all over that deal. Or is Wally selling off rebuilt KM products? Or is the special buy actually the 5D?

I called Wally, but I got nowhere with the non technically inclined sales girl.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 3:45 AM   #19
E.T

StevieDgpt wrote:
Quote:
Because the standard kit lens converts to about 27-105mm (35mm equiv) and the lens that Wally is listing with the more expensive camera is 28-100mm¬* hmmmm?¬* Does KM have a 28-100¬*digital lens?¬* Or could the length be listed incorrect?
That later lens becomes 42-150mm after taking smaller sensor (than 35mm film) into account.
You have to multiply focal lengths with 1.5.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 8:40 AM   #20
Administrator

StevieDgpt wrote:
Quote:
I am wondering if there is something of a misprint with the WallyWorld, or maybe something else going on.
No. The original kit lens with the Maxxum 7D was the 28-100mm. It's a cheap lens (you can find them all day long for under $100 on the used market). So, it's probably not some kind of special buy (they paid more for this bundle originally and can't mark it down anymore or something).

The bundle you're seeing with a 7D and 18-70mm lens is using the 5D's kit lens. It appears to be a special buy that Wal-Mart made on some of the remaing stock.

The Adorama bundle with the 28-75mm f/2.8 is using a popular lens that's pretty high quality (this lens is selling for around $379 at vendors like B&H). The Adorama bundle is by far the best deal at $899 for the 7D and 28-75mm f/2.8

The Wal-Mart bundle with the 7D + 18-70mm lens at $699 is the next best deal (since the 7D body alone is selling for more than the bundle is).