Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:51 AM   #21

I just bought a Pentax 1stdl from Buydig/Beach for only $464 shipped. 6.1mp, runs on aa batteries if you want, 2.5" lcd, 18-55 lens. Add a basic uv filter, 1 gig card, screen protectors and lens cap holder all told cost me about $510.

How can you beat that?

Ok..I can't give a review yet because the shipping was free..said 8-10 days but got it in 4. Memory card is due today from another vendor.

So far the camera is easy to use, nice viewfinder. Focus is not as fast as a Nikon but manual focus is a snap. I did notice that you should use manual white balance for flourescent lights though can clearly see too much orange in all the preset settings that is a pain.

Can't wait till tonight to start putting it through it's paces and really see what the photos look like.

On Steves I prefer the Pentax shots of the building with the pond and grass and blue sky to the Canon and Nikon ones. I think it's Steves that has an amazing night shot of a bridge.

Interestingly if you look at shots on Pbase of this camera the photos look amaturish compared to say the Rebel XT shots. But I found a site where people put up shots to be critiqued and shots from this camera on that site look fantastic.

So..do a little reseach but for $510 how can you go wrong? If you want to wait I guess Pentax has some image stabililazation cameras coming out in a few months for like $699 for the kit.
corvairfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:35 AM   #22
Administrator

The Pentax DSLR models typically get a "bad rap" by reviewers, since the JPEG processing isn't quite as good as some of the others.

But, to my eyes, it looks OK (and you can shoot in raw if you really want to extract every last bit of detail).

The Pentax DSLR models also have ISO 3200 (missing in the Nikon D50 and Rebel XT).

As you mentioned, they'll also be releasing models with SR (Shake Reduction).

Just as important, the upcoming Pentax models will have an upgraded Autofocus System. That's another area they've been a bit weak in compared to competitors (AF points, AF s[eed/reliability in low light). The new K100D models will have 11 focus points, with 9 of them being the more sensitive cross type. That should make them more competive (especially with sports shooters who need a camera that can track moving subjects as they move between focus points).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 2:18 PM   #23

if i could choose again would probably go for the K100D (AS) from pentax or KM Dynax 5.

Love my D50 BUT, in low light situations it will cost me a fortune to do the same as the previous models with my D50... ( I know JimC......It can´t be done :blah: )

I bought the D50 because of name recognition, and the amount of lenses BUT! I found out that i will probably only buy altogether 4-5 meaning i could have bought either one (i´m the standard DSLR consumer, zoom+ Wide +Walkaround + Bright prime )

- my five cents
monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 2:24 PM   #24
Administrator

Actually, your D50 has pretty low noise levels at higher ISO Speeds compared to most cameras. Of course, it's going to have some noise, just as any other model will when your start increasing ISO speeds.

If you need faster shutter speeds than you're getting at the highest ISO speed setting, you could always try underexposing a tad and boosting in Post Processing. Raw is better for this purpose. Noise will be worse, just as if you had a higher ISO speed available. So, don't do that unless absolutely necessary.

A brighter lens can also help. For an inexpensive lens more suitable for low light use, look at the 50mm f/1.8 AF lens (under $100).

Old Jun 8, 2006, 2:28 PM   #25

I will give it a shot Thx JimC.

( I would still choose differently than the nikon If i could choose again:-) )
monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:39 PM   #26

Found the Konica Maxxum 5D at CC for $535. Had one boxed unit left in the store inventory.

Had.

Ijumped on it, and my local CC is now out of the 5D's. Well they still have the demo model if anybody is really interested in buying a demo.

The 5D compared to the 7D and saving $164 and UPS charges from Wally was just too good of a deal to pass up.
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:42 PM   #27
Administrator

I know of one vendor that just got some 5Ds back in stock. But, they want $639 for the body by itself . So, the 7D deal with the 18-70mm lens at Wal-mart for $699 beats it.

Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:59 PM   #28

I just got my SD card for my Pentax and tried a bunch of shots on this cloudy day. My initial reaction is very positive. Images are clear and sharp. Focus seems fast enough in daylight. Seems like only 3-5 shots in burst mode though but I knew that going in.

Haven't looked at Raw but JPEG seems great to my eyes on the computer.

Just tried a quick experiment by shooting a table lit by a 15 watt bulb and a 60 watt lamp across the room. Basically low light.

Ran it at ISO 3200 no flash. Yes it is grainy but MUCH less grainy than my 2 year old Canon A70 at ISO 400. Ran it through the free version of Neat Image and it got rid of most of the noise and looks great on a computer screen. Don't know how it would print because it seems you naturally lose some detail and I'm out of ink.

A previous poster was dissapointed with the Nikon low light noise and while a newbie to digital world I am impressed with the low noise of the Pentax and blown away by these noise reduction programs. Just wow to that.

No real point but so far so good on this camera. Seems like a great low cost way to go DSLR.

The Circuit City deal sounds killer too if you can find one.
corvairfan is offline   Reply With Quote