Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 20, 2006, 12:43 AM   #11

billrussell wrote:
Quote:
Dirt Rider wrote:
Quote:
Might also want to check out the Canon A620. It has every thing you want except for image stabilization.
Image stabilization is my main feature that I want. I take quite a lot of low light picturesthat require a long exposure time, and I have seen a vast difference with this feature.

I also have seen dramatic results using zoom, as this amplifies any shaking.

Bill, may I ask what you mean by "long exposure time"? Because image stabilization is only useful down to maybe 1/4 s or so. If you need 1 s or more - for a photo of city lightsat night, for example - IS isn't enough. You're still going to need a tripod for shots like that.

As for ISO 3200 on the F30 - it is quite grainy, and the photos have a kind of watercolour effect. But you should only use it if you really have to. The pictures produced by the lower ISO's are quite impressive for such a small camera. But if I was going to take night shots with my F30, I'd still take the tripod with me and use ISO 100.

Stephanie

--------------------
My Fujifilm FinePix F30 and F10 galleries

sjseto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:44 PM   #12

not to be "genital" with you, but forget the mp count, and

consider the sensor size.

for the price the Kodak C330/340 are best value.

romphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 11:56 PM   #13

You might also consider the Panasonic Lumix FX-01. It has image stabilization, the enormous advantage of a wide angle lens (28mm), 6MP, 2.5 inch LCD with excellent resolution. superbly built and 3.6x. It has excellent battery life too. I bought this camera to replace my Canon SD550 and I love it. The image quality is excellent and the colors are rich and beautifully saturated. JM2C
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 6:42 PM   #14

I don't know about the A620 from Canon. I recently purchases this camera and while I'm happy with it I would hardly call it a pocket camera. Has a lot of nice features though and gives you a lot of control for a digicam if you choose to use it. Maybe one of the digital sd series? They looked really appealing to me originally wanted a camera for backpacking in Europe this summer but decided for something with more features.
uglybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 7:32 AM   #15

Justinian wrote:
Quote:
You might also consider the Panasonic Lumix FX-01. It has image stabilization, the enormous advantage of a wide angle lens (28mm), 6MP, 2.5 inch LCD with excellent resolution. superbly built and 3.6x. It has excellent battery life too. I bought this camera to replace my Canon SD550 and I love it. The image quality is excellent and the colors are rich and beautifully saturated. JM2C

I must concur with Justinian - the FX01 is the "Bee's knees" at the moment! It has a shed-load of functions that put it above the rest in terms of "pound for pound" punch! It's alittle'un in scale but a big'un in ability.It has simple "point and shot" capabilities, but 'whoa' check out the image stabilization, various screen modes,T.V. quality video and of course that WIDE angle lens!

You really should get this camera and a 2 GB card, you will be taking snaps all day...

Attached Images

Dutch Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 9:38 AM   #16

I never heard of the expression "bee's knees" so I researched it. The phrase "the bee's knees," means a type of something small, but also "the height of excellence." It describes the Panasonic FX-01 perfectly: an ultra compact camera that is "the height/acme of excellence" in its class! Very well put, Dutch Dave and I learned something new too. Thank you!
:|

Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 10:40 AM   #17
Super Moderator

I can second (third?) the recommendation for the FX01.

Fantastic little camera.

I use it to complement my Canon 20D. Obviously the SLR doesn't fit in my pocket, but my LX01 does, and I take it everywhere with me.

As well as its obvious excellence at landscapes with the 28mm (efl) Leica lens, it also excels at street work.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 2:58 PM   #18

hi,
i spent more money and got the Leica C LUX 1 instead of the Panasonic LX01. The guy in the camera store convinced me that it was better, but now i am reading that they are basically the same camera.

anyway, i have a couple of questions. i'm fairly new at this, and just discovered this forum...first of all, battery length. someone said that it lasts a long time. i have been taking a bunch of pictures today, and viewing them on the lcd, but not for hours or anything. i have the thing set to economy mode. but the battery is already showing that is halfway used. is this normal?

also, any good explanation for when to use the different type of AF mode choices? and an explanation of pros and cons for different aspect ratios?

thanks a lot,
Eleanor
spotodog is offline   Reply With Quote