Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 5, 2006, 12:52 PM   #1

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site this is my first post. I am looking to buy a new camera which would be my third. My first was a sony dsc-85. Had this for 4 years and was happy. Recently I got the Kodac p850. I was looking for more zoom. I was about 80% happy with this and just sold it. The problem was it took to long to take the shots.

I am looking for a 12x zoom camera that is atleast 5mp and has good performace as far as picture speed. My wife takes it to take pics of kids in the family and they move fast. Anyway I did some research and found the Panasonic dmc-fz7. The reviews including here had nothing bad to say and it had all the features that I am looking for and I was ready to buy it. Until I read another sites review that mentioned it does not zoom while taking movies. I was so sad. I looked around and no other camera has yet to fit everything I am looking for. If only this camera had zoom during movies I would have purchased it. I have looked at other 12x zooms inc. Canon S2 and S3, Konica Z5, Panasonic FZ5 and others.

Please help if you can.

Roger
bone73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2006, 4:21 PM   #2

I appreciate any input on any camera.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 7:01 AM   #3

Guess I will try another forum.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 8:28 AM   #4

The FZ30 zooms whilst taking movies. Regards
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 8:40 AM   #5

If you looked at the S2...you missed one of its features....because it has very quiet zoom facility, it allows you to zoom whilst shooting movies! It generally is accepted as having one of the better movie qualities....and whats more...prices are dropping every day because the new S3 is on the market.

Its also generally accepted as a classic within this level of camera, read Steves' review on the 'best cameras'review page.

Regards SG.
stupidgrinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 11:23 AM   #6

Thank you for the replies. The s2 does zoom durning movies but it takes AA batteries. I am looking for li-ion. It has a smaller lcd than the fz7. It also takes longer between shots then the fz7. Like I said the FZ7 is exactly what I am looking for just that it doesnt zoom during movies which makes me sad.

Old Jun 6, 2006, 11:47 AM   #7

When you go to the other site perhaps you could give them a break and tell them why you rejected most of the cameras in the 12X zoom category. Several have zoom with movies and are excellent cameras.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 12:00 PM   #8

Well I can give people here a break too.

I am looking for everything the fz7 has , almost, speedy inbetween shots, 12x zoom, li-ion battery, large lcd 2.5 inch , vga video with zoom, 5mp or higher. Like I said I had the Kodac P850 and I liked it but it was a bit slow on power up and pic to pic shots. It also has a noisy zoom which got on my nerves. It also picked up that noise during videos. Another thing I like about the FZ7 is its cheaper and smaller then the others in its catagory. If only the FZ7 had zoom during movies.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 12:45 PM   #9

bone73,
There is no perfect camera. I bet everyone who buys a camera deals with that fact at one time or another. There is always a trade-off. I have the Canon SD550 and I love it, but it does not have a wide angle lens which I would prefer. So I just bought a Panasonic FX-01 to try out for its wide angle capability. I also have a Panasonic FZ5 and I love it too, but it does not have the best movie mode and like its successor, the FZ7, you cannot zoom while shooting movies, but its movie mode is much better than the FZ5 - and so it goes with nearly every camera. The bottom line is this: you have to decide what you absolutely must have vs. what you would like to have in your new camera. We all have a "wish list" for our cameras, but we have learned to live with what we have until another, upgraded model comes along. Decide if the FZ7's pros outweight the cons, and if it meets your needs and budget, just try it out. You can always return it if you purchase it at a reputable online dealer or store. All the best and let us know what you choose. Thanks for posting.

Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 1:16 PM   #10

Justinian thanks for the post. A well done explaination and I do agree with you. If only that FZ7 had the zoom. As for trying it out which site would let you do that? I have never heard of that with an online dealer. I have purchased from beach camera before because they are well priced and the shipping was great. At my door in 2 days, but would I be able to "try it out" with someone like that?

Also you make a good point about what I must have and what I would like. If I were to have the zoom on movies I guess I could trade off the li-ion battery and go with AA. Have you or anyone delt with the AA's with dig cameras? Do they last as long?I know they make them better then when I was a kid, I'm 32, but are they really any good?