Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 5, 2006, 5:04 PM   #1

Hello, I am on the verge of buying a new camera. In mind I want to be able to get at more manual features.

Could you please comment and/or reccomend on the:

Kodak P850

Fuji S5600 (thats the S5200 for america....)

Olympus SP500

All these models are pretty similar but which one would you go for? (Reccomend!!) Anyway, I want to take pics of all sorts thigns, thats wildlife, landscape, portraits. SO I am thinking of an all round camera.If someone ahs one of these cameras that'd be even better!

CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2006, 5:13 PM   #2

I asked almost the identical question a week or so ago and didnt get much response. The one that did recommended the Canon S2 IS over what you have listed. I also had the Panasonic FZ7 along with your list.

My adivice? Go out and try as many of those models as you can. My high priority was shutter lag. The P850 had significant lag, especially when zoomed out over the Fuji (fastest I tried) and the Canon. The Fuji is much bulkier than any of the others, and doesnt have a true "image stabilization", but some say that feature is over rated. I still like the Fuji due to its speed and picture quality that I have seen. I also like the AA battery vs. Lithiums.

Hopefully somebody chimes in here that has used the cameras longer than a test session at the shop.
ShannonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 10:11 PM   #3

I will say this - with the Kodak 850, I got a nice deal. However, the Zoom drives me pretty crazy, as it seems a bit slow, but more importantly, it's pretty loud. Like when I would go into movie mode and zoom in and out, it really drowns out other audio. Some people have no problem with it and love the camera, but I just cannot look past it.
Marklar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 5:04 PM   #4

I have the s5200. I've been extremely happy with it. It feels good on my hands. The zoom is pretty incredible, fast and quiet. Good camera, good pics, excellent price. I cant comment on the other cameras you have on the list because I havent tried them.
Kaspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 8:52 PM   #5

I'd also get the S5600. It's a great camera!
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 12:45 AM   #6

Another votes goes to the Fuji S5200/S5600. I used to have that camera and when I first got it, I did not like it because I was compairing my pictures to dSLR. But after a while, I notice that my pictures were a LOT better then most PnS digital camera in low light.

I no longer have it because i bought a dSLR.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 12:49 AM   #7

While I can't compare them, I can vouch for the Kodak P850, thats what I use and I find it very impressive, especially the zoom.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 3:46 AM   #8

There are some that say the SuperCCD technology from Fujifilm is nothing but a marketing scheme. It may be that too but I can say for sure that it alsoproducesbetter results than other.And you can find out for yourself, for there are many reviews and comparison test shots.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 7:49 AM   #9

I prefer the fuji.
Dirt Rider is offline   Reply With Quote