Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 10, 2006, 9:51 AM   #101

rduve wrote:
Quote:
And I most certainly have no problem with the Sony brand, knowing that their cameras are a continuation of the Konica Minolta tradition.

Rainer
The only thing I hate about Sonyis that atsome point they will probably switch their cameras over to use the duosticksome instead of the CF card. They already have an adaptor with the Alpha so that you can use the duostick. Looks like they are trying to hook existing Sony customers who are ready for a DSLR. Can't say that I blame them. I can't imagine them retaining the CF card compatabilty forever. Not a major issue, but Sony always tries to be different. I don't see them screwing with the KM mount unless they come out with features that don't affect backwards compatability. Let's just hope that all future lenses will work with existing cameras. Of course by then it may be time for a new body anyway.

Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 10:32 PM   #102

Stumbled uponmy first glimpse today of the Pentax K100D. The store only has one in stock and they just got it yesterday. Salesperson was impressed with what he'd seen with it so far. I just happened to be near a different camera shop near my dental surgeon and stopped in. They tried to push me towards the Canon saying they didn't know much about Pentax. But, mentioned this other camera shop down the street that might sell Pentax.

I leave for Californiaon vacation next Saturday and am debating whether to bite the bullet and buy this one or what. I don't want to regret having bought it just because I want it while on vacation.

I hadn't even been expecting to see it today. Just figured I'd stop in and see what they had to give for advice on getting any DSLR since I don't get up that way much.

He took a shot at ISO3200, arm's length out one handed and it was clear as could be. Also, showed me the DOF preview option where it actually takes a "preshot" and displays on the LCD. Nice feature.

Hadn't really done much more research since my queries here.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 8:25 AM   #103

go with the pentax. in body shake reduction would be awesome! (i just picked up the pentax ist dl a few weeks ago for $367 at beachcamera online). iso 3200 is definitely useable if you need it; i'll put it to 1600 quite often, and 800 gets regular usage, you can't notice hardly any noise!

with the pentax k mount system, you have access to their lens line dating back to the 1960s - i've picked up a few cheap prime lenses (50mm f2 and 28mm f2.8 macro) and am extremely impressed with the results!) you won't be disapointed.

of course all the camera shop people push nikon and canon, they're the big names. but who hasn't heard of pentax either?! they've been around just as long and make quality optics.

oh, and the pentax is the only one of the bunch that uses AA batteries - i didn't care much either way, but now really see the benefit over a proprietary battery - you can get them anywhere. oh, did i mention i got over 500 shots w/2500 nimh energizers from sam's club? they didn't even die on me at that point, just figured i'd switch em just in case!

there are alot of pluses with the pentax that people don't necessarily consider, and the anti-shake in-body just adds to it.

go for it!
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 6:28 PM   #104

The difference in size between a DSLR sensor and the 1/2.5 sensor foundin many point and shoots is HUGE and little wonder that DSLR's give the superior image.

They also can isolate the subject, use high ISO's and have amazingly fast response capability.

However, even while recognising all of that, i just sold my DSLR and bought a panasonic FZ7 instead !!!!!

Quite liberating - no more carting around a bag of lenses all day andjust get back into 'happy snapping' - you remember happy snapping, composition was fairlyimportant, the technical sophistication of the shot was not and noise was just something that kids did -ah bliss.:-)

seriously, it has been nice to off-load some kit, I have lost some flexibility but gained some portability - it means the camera compliments the dy out, rather than becomming bigger than the day out.

norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 7:19 PM   #105

Norm-

I honestly think that is a personal choice. Some folks really want to travel light, and I respect that. However, if you are indeed, interested in getting to know a whole lot more about photography as a craft and an art, then the DSLR camera will serve that purpose a whole lot more than a FZ-7 with a midget CCD that has a whole lot of noise above the ISO 100 setting.

You must be a very good friend of the makers of the Neat Image and Noise Ninja software packages. No harshness intended, no regrets. I too, was a long time FZ user and I feel that after having used a DSLR camera for more than three years, that I am indeed where I want to be in terms of REAL image quality.

As I said, it is indeed a personal choice.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:14 AM   #106

Being a relative newbie to digital photography, I picked up the Fuji s5200. It's got fully manual when I want it, good ISO range, better apperature range than the lenses that come with most low-end dSLR's, and it was $270. I'd really like a dSLR, but it will take quite awhile for me to get good enough to justify the expense of a d70 to myself.
rouleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:22 AM   #107

Well, the S5200 is an outstanding camera for you to start with and learn the basics of photography.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 7:49 PM   #108

Well, I bought the K100D Monday night. Haven't had much chance to play around with it much as I'm trying to get ahead at work to leave for vacation. I'll probably spend my 12 hours traveling to play with it. I am liking what I have played with so far.

Took a few photos and am noticing that things are coming out lighter colors than they actually are. It could be that there is a setting set somewhere since I bought the only one they had in the store which had been touched by myself, the store rep and one other person who came and looked at it.

I haven't had a chance to read the manual to figure out if there is a default setting to start from scratch on all settings.

Although, the two photos that I'm noticing things are lighter in were closeups and with the flash. Both of flowers. I did take some outdoors tonight of some red dragonflies that seemed to come out right.

I am noticing the zoom missing, too. Or, at least it was different than I'm used to. I currently have 28- 90 on my Canon. I would have thought the 18-55 (27 - 82) would have been comparable. I set the camera to 55mm and was about 4 inches away from the bug to fill the screen with it. I was amazed it didn't fly away. But, probably because the humidity here was about 95% at the time. I was melting, too.

I haven't done much research on the zoom lenses. I know some people here had recommended the 50 - 200 zoom. I see that Pentax has a $50 rebate on it through October. Went to Ritz Camera at lunch yesterday to double check on the lens as it seemed loose in the camera. (Maybe 1/8" wiggle room once locked in place. Didn't go back to seller only because it was a 5 minute ride to Ritz and an hour ride to the seller.) And, he recommended getting the 70 - 300 zoom for $150.

Any thoughts on any of this?

I'm attaching the dragonfly to show one of my first shots. My first attempt at attaching anything, so I hope I did it right.
Attached Images

Old Aug 2, 2006, 9:21 PM   #109

nhmom-

It is just my personal opinion but I would head for the Reset Menu and do a reset to bring your K100D back to the factory default settings. Too many folks have tinkered a bit with it. And all you have to do is to take your photo into some good software and click on "auto levels" and it will perk right up.

I too purchased the K100D and have been absolutely delighted with it. Curently I am using the kit lens and my Pentax 50-300mm lens with it and that is a perfect combination!

Here is a sample photo taken with the Pentax 50-200mm lens!
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 10:43 PM   #110

mtclimber - Are you saying you took the seagulll photo with the 50 - 200 or 50 - 300 lens? Quickly looking at lens sizes (physical size) I think I prefer the 50 - 200 as it's not too much longer than the 18-55. The longer, the less likely I am to want to swap it out.

I'm not experienced at all with buying lenses.And, I have no idea what to look for. Just remembered people were recommending the 50-200 one to "complete" the camera. I can see that it would probably suffice for my needs and wants. I always said I was going to buy a zoom for my Canon, but after 3 years am still using the kit lens that came with it.

Thanks.