Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:53 AM   #111

I have the Pentax 50-200 lens that I use with a DS and have been very impressed with it. It is a nice sharp lens, lightweight, and I use it far more than the kit lens for a walk around lens. It's well worth the price.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 12:08 PM   #112

nhmom-

Well, you have heard the good news about the Pentax 50-200mm lens from more than a few folks, I would imagine. There is good reason for that, nhmom. It is very small, very compact and it is a perfect match, along with the kit lens for the camera.

As mtngal, has indicated, I too ofen use it as a great walk around lens that is intantly there to pull things in close for you.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 5:13 PM   #113

Sarah and others,

Thanks for the info on the 50 - 200. I was wondering if it was good for the "main" lens on the camera. I hated the idea of switching lenses all the time. But, still wanted the lower mm range if needed.

So, maybe I'll find the lens while I'm in CA. That would be good.

And, thanks for the note about setting back to defaults. I set it at lunch today and retook the photo that was so out of color. I just printed it and it looks much closer to the color. I'll double check the print when I go to work tomorrow. I noticed I think it was the image tone that had been set to brighter rather than natural that was mostly doing it. (I think that's what the settings were.) I really do need to sit down and read through the manual.

Patty

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 7:23 PM   #114

Patty-

Yes, I took the seagull photo that I posted above using the Pentax 50-200mm lens with my K100D. I prefer a two lens solution. The kit lens at 18-55mm gives me nice close-ups and wide angle shots. The Pentax 50-200mm lenscovers the telephoto range. There is no real problem to changing my lenses.

About every 30 to 60 days I just clean the IR filter plate in front of the CMOS imager using the copperhill method. It is cheap and very effective. So IMHO I will stick with the two lenses.

However, if you desire Tamron and Sigma both make 18-200mm lenses that would save extra lens changes if you desire. But to me that is extra expense and I would want to be perfectly sure that the Tamron or Sigma Lenses were 100% compatible with My K100D.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old Aug 3, 2006, 9:28 PM   #115

Although (for some unknown reason to me), Pentax has gotten a retail-reputation for producing inferior products (maybe it was the Sears & J.C. Penneys connection).

Whatever the case......many professionals have used Pentax Medium Format Film cameras for years & Pentax produces some of the best lenses out there (& yes, you can adapt them to DSLR bodies).

Personally, I know several Professional Fashion photographers that have used Pentax Medium Format cameras for decades (& they see no reason to change, just because the bodies are digital)...although, the bodies they are using are not within the price range considered here.

Personally, I think the Konica Minolta 7D is hard to beat for the price/performance quality (but I'm biased, as I recently aquired one). I've used Minolta 7i's & A1's for years and loved them for their capabilities being as so-close-to-a-DSLR-you-couldn't-tell-the-difference...
Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:12 PM   #116

Kalypso-

I too am a big KM DSLR fan but I returned my 7D due to my concerns about the servicing that Sony seems to be providing for the KM DSLR's. I still have my 5D and am happy with that.

MT/Sarah