Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 30, 2006, 7:14 PM   #41

Ditto. I sold myultra zoom FZ30 after switching to the KM5D with the Tamron 28-300. Now I got an ultra-zoom DSLR that I can pull out and take an (image stabilized) picture in under 2 seconds if I wantto, and expand it with more lenses and accessories for more prepared shootings.It's just a little larger and heavier than the FZ30, not a lot. And it isn't any more complicated to use than the FZ30 (or any other digicam for that matter) either. Both do a pretty good job in P mode for the beginner.

Go with the DSLR.

:-)

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 9:50 PM   #42

I agree with Rainer - my Pentax (depending on the lens) isn'tmuch heavier than the FZ30 I had for a month. If I go hiking I'll take one lens and an extra card, if I'm in the car I'll carry more. The Pentax also has an auto mode, and several scene modes for beginners. I owned the FZ30 for a month and never really felt comfortable with the camera (though the Panasonic people who hang out around here are GREAT!). I felt totally at home with the Pentax right away.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:06 PM   #43

When I saw the postings about the KM 7D probably on low supply at Walmart I decided maybe I'd go out tonight looking. Went to Walmart (only because it was closest) and they didn't have any. Didn't expect they would, but since the webpage doesn't say "online only" thought I'd look. You never know. Right place at the right time! Went to a different Ritz than Wed. and they had nothing to hold.

I did ask him some questions. He seemed much more knowledgable than the salesgirl Wed. He showed me the body of the Pentax *ist as he says it is the same as the K100D will be. Also checked stock and said they have no 5D or 7D available in the region any more in the computers. I did tell him about the store 30 miles down the road that has a 7D body. So, not sure where his "region" covers.

I told him one of my concerns was size/weight. I liked the size and weight of the *ist he let me play with. Need to check the specs to make sure he's correct that they are the same body. I asked him about the size/weight of the 7D (in case I wanted to just order from Walmart) and he showed me the Canon 200 (I think??) whichhe said was even a little smaller than the 7D. I like the size of the *ist much more.

Of course, he WILL have the K100D eventually and won't ever have the 7 or 5D for me. I asked him what he would recommend and he said he'd wait for the Pentax. He also told me not to expect to see it until Fall. He said he go with Pentax as the company has been around for a long time and even though Sony says the KM lens will work with their future cameras, there's no guarantee of that. At least that's his opinion.

From all the comments I am convinced that DSLR is the way I need to go. It will give me much more flexibility for a longer period of time. I'm sure that a zoom would satisfy most of my needs for now, but if I'm going to spend $500-600 on it or can spend $600-700 on DSLR. Why not just get the DSLR.

I looked at the Sony one that's coming out, but it seems to be out of the price range I was trying to stay in. But, it is available before my vacation in August that I was hoping to get a new one in time for. But, not a necessity.

Still looking and thinking. And, learning from the discussion I've started again on this thread.

Thanks.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 2:22 PM   #44

One thing I would not compromise on is the image stabilization and therefore the Pentax *ist would be a no-go for me. Other than that, any of the options, the Pentax K100, KM5D, or Sony A100 would be good options for you. You'd probably find the 7D too heavy. Also, Samsung should soon an image stabilized DSLR, a sister model to the K100. I am not sure though about the availability of good ultra zoom lenses like the Tamron for the Pentax mount. I am pretty sure Sony will keep their DSLR line compatible with the Minolta Mount. It gives them instant market share and a growing following. It would not be smart for them to create a new, incompatible mount.

In any case, let us know what you end up getting and share some pics.

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries
Old Jul 1, 2006, 3:54 PM   #45

I like to have a lens that supplies considerable zoom. And I like convenience.

But carrying extra lenses around - not to mention having to constantly switch lenses - is inconvenient. Carrying a tripod around is inconvenient too.

Consequently, I don't want either a DSLR or the nuisance of a tripod. I'd rather have a camera that has both lots of zoom and image stabilization.

I chose (some years ago) an Olympus C2100UZ. There are now several other cameras that may be slightly better - e.g. Panasonic FZ7 and Canon S3IS - but the amount of improvement they offer doesn't persuade me to switch.

What I'm waiting for is a camera like these, but with a much bigger sensor.

When I first read about the Sony DSC R1, which has a decent-sized sensor, and especially when I looked at Steve's picture of the schoolhouse in his review of it & compared the resolution of the letters on the traffic signs to what was produced by the other cameras I've mentioned, I was all fired up to buy one - until I found that it didn't have image stabilization.

So, I'm still waiting..... In the meantime - if should lose my C2100UZ or if it were stolen, I'd simply look round for a used one. Failing that, I'd incline to compromise on a Panasonic FZ7.

Herb
Herb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 5:07 PM   #46

Sigma, Tamron, etc. make lenses including long zooms in Pentax mounts. I've been perfectly happy with the Pentax 50-200 lens, though I also have a Kiron 80-200 lens which my father had bought sometime before 1987. I found out with the FZ30 that even with IS, I can't control a lens much longer than 200 (one of the reasons I haven't bought something that goes out to 300). In fact, I didn't think that the IS on the FZ30 helped me much at all - I couldn't manage to take much without a tripod. The ability to use fast lenses with a DSLR has made a much larger difference, as well as getting a true macro lens. So for me, having or not having IS wouldn't make much difference.

Herb -I can relate to you not wanting the bother of changing lenses and carrying tons of equipment around. My very first post here was asking about a non-dSLR camera that had a mechanical zoom to replace my Sony F717. After getting the FZ30, which is about best in its class, I discovered that I was less willing to compromise on the quality of my photos than I was about carrying weight. It's actually been lots of fun picking up my old equipment and playing with it all again.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 6:37 PM   #47

Herb wrote:
Quote:
I like to have a lens that supplies considerable zoom. And I like convenience.

But carrying extra lenses around - not to mention having to constantly switch lenses - is inconvenient. Carrying a tripod around is inconvenient too.

Consequently, I don't want either a DSLR or the nuisance of a tripod. I'd rather have a camera that has both lots of zoom and image stabilization.

I chose (some years ago) an Olympus C2100UZ. There are now several other cameras that may be slightly better - e.g. Panasonic FZ7 and Canon S3IS - but the amount of improvement they offer doesn't persuade me to switch.

What I'm waiting for is a camera like these, but with a much bigger sensor.

When I first read about the Sony DSC R1, which has a decent-sized sensor, and especially when I looked at Steve's picture of the schoolhouse in his review of it & compared the resolution of the letters on the traffic signs to what was produced by the other cameras I've mentioned, I was all fired up to buy one - until I found that it didn't have image stabilization.

So, I'm still waiting..... In the meantime - if should lose my C2100UZ or if it were stolen, I'd simply look round for a used one. Failing that, I'd incline to compromise on a Panasonic FZ7.

Herb

Did you read my posting??? I have an ultra zoom lens on my DSLR, so I don't have to carry extra lenses around unless I want to for special purposes.My KM5D with the Tamron 28-300 does everything and more that my FZ30 did.

Rainer
Old Jul 1, 2006, 6:39 PM   #48

I'm with you Herb. Besides, picture quality is more a function of the photographer than of the camera.
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 8:15 PM   #49

Jim, fancy meeting you here. I haven't spoken with you in almost 3 years. We were having discussions on the G500 vs the optio 555. It looks like you moved out of town to the other side of the state.

Anyway, I was out looking at the Nikon D50 and noticed a KM 5D for $599. My concern is where to find accessories for it over time. I hope Sony keeps making accessories that fit, but you never know. The real problem, I think, is the flash. That is proprietary. But the price and what you get with it (IS) is hard to pass up. I am considering buying one of these, especially after you talked about the 28-300 lens for $150. That would compliment the lens that comes with it quite nicely.

How do you feel about finding accessories for the 5D?
hotlantagolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 8:25 PM   #50
Administrator

Sony should be shipping accessories like strobes very soon (the new Sony Alpha 100 is due to ship on or before July 28 in the U.S. and I hear it's going to be shipping sooner in some parts of the world). The flash systems should be fully compatible with KM DSLR models, too.

You've also got some third party dedicated solutions available. For example, the Metz 54MZ4 using the correct SCA3302M5 or M6 foot for Minolta models.

Personally, I went with an inexpensive Auto Thryistor Flash Solution (non-dedicated so you'd need to use manual exposure and set the camera and flash to match).

I payed a a whopping $25 for a Sunpak 333 Auto in 10 condition (as new in box) from the used department at B&H for a better unit (tilt, swivel, zoom head, multiple auto aperture ranges, manual power settings, etc.

Then, I got a smaller Sunpak 222 Auto for $7 at keh.com, buying a third party adapter from a vendor in Hong Kong to give me an ISO standard hotshoe and PC Sync port (which can be used at the same time) for $16 delivered. Flash System Investment: $48 for two strobes and the hotshoe adapter (and keh.com even threw in a nice coiled PC Sync Cord with the little 222 Auto I got for $7). lol

P.S.

This is the same adapter I've got (but, I bought mine from a different vendor). It's like the Minolta FS-1100 in that it gives you an ISO standard hotshoe. But, it also gives you a PC Sync Port. Just make sure that you use strobes with lower trigger voltages (no voltage protection built in):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200002305905

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote