Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 1, 2006, 9:38 PM   #51

Ranier -

Your combination of Minolta 5D and Tamron 28-300UZ certainly sounds interesting. I couldn't immediately see whether the Minoltas are sold as 'body only' leaving it to the buyer to choose a suitable lens?

Are there any sites where there's a display of full-size pictures taken with the Tamron lens?

But I'm a bit bothered by the samples of 5D and 7D pictures in Steves Reviews. The resolution in them seems to me to fall a long way short of the Sony DSCR1 samples in his review of that camera.

Herb
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 11:43 PM   #52

Herb, here are a couple of strings devoted to the Tamron 28-300 and some comparisons:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=84 (check the last couple of pages)

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=84

As far as resolution is concerned, 6 MP is certainly more than enough for most purposes. However, if you do a lot of cropping or blow up your images very large you might be better off with the new Sony A100 DSLR which is the successor of the KM5D and has 10MP.

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:53 AM   #53

iner -

Thanks for the references. I'm looking forward to seeing Steve's review of it & pictures taken with it. I always look at the one of the red brick schoolhouse & examine the two traffic signs, in particular the one that says Nicholson St....

Herb
Old Jul 2, 2006, 6:47 AM   #54

Herb wrote:
Quote:
iner -

Thanks for the references. I'm looking forward to seeing Steve's review of it & pictures taken with it. I always look at the one of the red brick schoolhouse & examine the two traffic signs, in particular the one that says Nicholson St....

Herb

Herb,

I think you are talking more about sharpness than resolution (which is really the number of megapixels). DSLR's default settings are generally softer (less in-camera sharpening) than most digicams. You will find for example find that a standard RAWimage (unprocessed straight out of the camera) has alot less "pop" than your average digicam image. A lot of consumer cameras have very aggressive sharpening, saturationand contrastin their default mode, which is not achieved through optics but in-camera processing, giving them a richer (but less natural) look. Pesonally, I do prefer a little more sharpness than the KM5D default settings, and haveit set at +1 Sharpening at most times (other than portraits).

That particular sample of the brick building in the KM5D reviewis a little soft, I agree. But I compared it to the same sample of some othercameras and they look pretty similar (I looked at the samples fromthe Panasonic FZ7 and Pentax *ist D to compare it to an ultra-zoom and another dSLR).

I can assure you that the image quality of the KM5D (or any other current DSLR) can more than hold its own compared to any digicam. The differences are not asclear in your run-of-the-mill daylight shots, but becomes more pronounced when you look at high ISO images and their noise level. For example look at this shot taken at ISO 800 with the new Canon S3 IS ultra-zoom:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...s/IMG_0172.JPG

(I wonder why Panasonic's FZ's are getting so much flak for their noise, when this Canon shot has about the worst noise I have ever seen)

vs. this one taken at ISO 800 with the KM5D

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/maxxum5d/samples/PICT0018_iso800.JPG

Now, THAT is where the larger sensor (about 10 times the size) comes in real handy.

On the other hand, if you want to save money and get a great camera on a budget, I can most definitely recommend the Panasonic FZ20, FZ5 or FZ7, all of which can be found for about or under $300 now if you look around. At THAT price point, they are a fantastic deal. I just would notrecommend any digicam at a $500+ price point anymoresince you can now get a DSLR for the same money.

Oh, one more thing. While I am also eyeing the Sony A100 with its 10 MP for more resolution, there is also a downside to it. You have 10 million pixels crammed onto the same sized sensor as the 6 MP of the KM5D. That means each pixel is smaller and receives less light, which could resultin less of a dynamic range and more noise. Consequently, if you take a 6 MP picture with the Sony, you use a smaller portion of the sensor, thus it might not be of the same quality as if it was taken with the KM5D or 7D where the full sensor size is dedicated to 6 MP. I don't anticipate, however, that there will be a visible downgrade. Nikon for example has managed to cram 12 MP onto the same sized CCD in its D200 without any apparent loss in quality. Canon, however, opted to use full-sized (24x36mm, no crop factor) CMOS sensors for its high MP cameras, such as the EOS 5D or EOS 1Dsto avoidany compromise.

So, as long as 6 MP suffice for my purposes and I am not blowing up 30x40" posters (anything below that is handled just fine with 6MP), I don't really see myself upgrading just for the extra MP. I'd probably end up shooting at 6MP anyway, but on a smaller sensor area.

I hope that makes sense to you.

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries

Old Jul 2, 2006, 8:19 AM   #55

Here is a shot I took of my baby son today with the KM5D/Tamron 28-300 combo in P-mode and fill-in flash. Who says a DSLR cannot easily be used as a point and shoot cam???

Rainer

Attached Images

Old Jul 2, 2006, 9:47 AM   #56

I am both a P&S user as well as dSLR. For ease of use and compactness the P&S is the way to go.

In photographing sports, kids at play and indoor shots around your home then the dSLR is the way to go. Starting in P mode gets the job done but does not come close to the potential of what can be captured with a dSLR. Depending of what kind of dSLR you buy you can have some latitude in your sharpness, contrast, noise removal, and so on. RAW is another way to capture the moment as well and this requires some use of software to tweak the image and convert to either jpeg or even tiff.

As far as anti-shake in the body or vibration reduction in the lens it is a nice feature to have and frees one up in dragging around a tripod. It also affords a couple of stops more and in the case of the VR II technology in the Nikon lens four stops. A huge plus.

I have Tamron lenses for my Pentax ist DS and simply find them to be excellent. The buffer in the Pentax though is quite small and a faster card does not improve the write speed at all. I have missed a few good sports shots due to the buffer catching up so Ican shoot again.

Thus the Nikon D200 with the 18-200mm VRII lens is quite the set-up and has delivered for me.This lens technology is totally impressive but costs more than the cameras mentioned here. Noise from this camera is noticeable at higher iso but only if you do not properly expose your shots. The Pentax has the best control of noise of any dSLR out there.

Lots to choose from to say the least. The KM 5D or 7D is probably the best package deal out there if you can get one. The Pentax K100D looks promising and one I am keeping my eye out for but if the buffer is still on the small side then for my purposes I will keep the Pentax ist DS.

Happy Shooting All!

P.S. The Canon A620 is now at $250. Tilt swivel screen has A,S,M,P as well as an array of pre-sets. At 7.1 mp and noise is quite low. Great grab and go camera.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 9:49 AM   #57

As Rainer brought out earlier, sharpness is different than resolution. I have several different lenses for my Pentax, and the sharpness of my pictures depends (to a certain extent) on the lens I use - some of them are sharper than others. I several primes that are much sharper than my zooms, and one of my zooms is much sharper than the other. My 2 sharpest lenses are a new, inexpensive Phoenix 100mm macro lens I bought recently (one of only 2 non-Pentax lenses I happen to own)and a 25 year old Pentax 50mm 1.4 lens. Then I would probably rate the PentaxDA50-200 lens. I find the 24 mm 2.8 a bit soft, but that's probably because I mainly use it in low light and have the lens wide open.

So if sharpness is important to you, look at reviews of lenses very closely, because they can make a big difference in what you see. Just be careful of reading too many reviews and looking at too many other pictures - there's always a lens that you don't have that takes awesome photos and wouldn't it be fun to have one that would take those kinds of photos? Pretty soon you'll have a huge collection of lenses and will be able to open up your own used camera equipment store (I was absolutely SURE I wouldn't suffer from that, I would just get the kit lens and use whatever lenses I already have. It didn't work that way, I've bought 2 more lenses and keep thinking about all those cool photos I could take if I just had _____ (fill in the blank with whatever lens the last person posted).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 9:54 AM   #58

dandy35, some time back I upgraded to the Panasonic FZ30 from a Sony V3 mainly because of the zoom. Having the V3 and later the FZ30 I had the chance to experiment with manual settings and, after a while, I really got to understand the limitations of a P&S. So I sold that and got the Nikon D50, mainly because I had the oportunity of a very good deal. I don't have to tell you this, as you may have read it from other users of this forum and may know it yourself by now, but dSLRs can't be beaten by even the most advanced P&S, especially if you shoot in low light conditions. Well, I guess my advice to you would be to go get yourself a dSLR and invest in one or two lenses and, in time, you'll not regret your choice. Even though I have the D50, I would strongly recommend to you the K-M 5D or even 7D or, if you have the necessary dough, go for the Sony A100. Not only you'll have the built-in stabilizer but also have the huge adventage of being able to find a huge range of affordable lenses to go with your body. Nikon/Canon are great but one really has to drain one's bank account to get a stabilized lens. Cheers!
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 1:52 PM   #59

All the recommendations sound mouth-watering. I see that the D5 & D7 aren't being made any more because Minolta has abandoned the camera business & has transferred it to Sony. The A100 is said to be closely related to the two KM cameras.

Meantime, I've found some pictures taken with the A100 at dpreview. I don't know whether the standard kit lens was used, but the last 3 pictures are of a Leica lens - maybe we're meant to infer that it was used?

Herb
Old Jul 2, 2006, 2:08 PM   #60
Administrator

Herb wrote:
Quote:
Meantime, I've found some pictures taken with the A100 at dpreview. I don't know whether the standard kit lens was used, but the last 3 pictures are of a Leica lens - maybe we're meant to infer that it was used?
If you look at the notes under the sample images, Phil Askey (owner/editor of dpreview.com) used the kit lens (18-70mm f/3.5-5.6) for those 3 photos.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote