Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 2, 2006, 1:41 PM   #61

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Herb wrote:
Quote:
Meantime, I've found some pictures taken with the A100 at dpreview. I don't know whether the standard kit lens was used, but the last 3 pictures are of a Leica lens - maybe we're meant to infer that it was used?
If you look at the notes under the sample images, Phil Askey (owner/editor of dpreview.com) used the kit lens (18-70mm f/3.5-5.6) for those 3 photos.

Those are some terrific quality shots. I'll bet you I'll own that camera within a few months.

Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 4:16 PM   #62

Jim -

Thanks for solving that one - and to think it was staring me in the face all the time!

Maybe you can persuade Steve that when he does a full review of the A100, he can include both pictures taken with the kit lens & others taken, say, with the Tamron 28-300 lens that Rainer speaks so highly of?

Herb
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 4:51 PM   #63

Another question - and it might be a stupid one.

Do the DSLR's record the fstop, speed, etc in the info with the photo? That's one thing I've always had a problem with. If I forget to write down what settings I used for a photo, by the time I get the film back I don't know which settings I was playing with that worked or didn't work. Would be nice if t was recorded with the shot.

Thanks.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 5:04 PM   #64
Administrator

Yes. Virtually all modern digital cameras (or at least those from major manufacturers) record information about the camera settings used (aperture, shutter speed, ISO speed, flash on/off, etc.).

This information is stored in the header in an image, and is readable by most image editors.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 5:04 PM   #65

Yes. EXIF information is recorded with each shot taken. There are EXIF viewers (Opanda is the one I use)or just click on Properties after right-clicking on your saved image file and then click on Summary.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 7:00 PM   #66

Thanks. I hadn't realized that. I just checked some of my images taken with my non-SLR digital and it is there.

Going to go back to Ritz tomorrow on lunch and see if they have the 7D body still and the *ist to look at together. When, I check the specs, it doesn't seem like the 7D is that much larger as the guy showed me the other day.

By the time I make a decision here, the decision on the 7D or K100D will be made for me!

Old Jul 3, 2006, 10:22 AM   #67

zygh, thank you for the response. I did end up getting a KM 5D at Ritz. A good deal on a camera that felt great. However I had to return it because of the Flash performance. The onboard flash has a slightly longer delay between stobe and shutter than the other cams in the entry field. The flash delay caused my subjects' eyes to half close resulting in unattractive shots. I now have a Rebel XT and enjoy the speed and flexibility.To anyone considering an ultrazoom and a dSLR, I say do not be intimidated by the dSLR functions/options. You can use one as a P&S and get great shots while you learn how to make use of what a dSLR has to offer.*
uncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:53 AM   #68

uncool wrote:
Quote:
zygh, thank you for the response. I did end up getting a KM 5D at Ritz. A good deal on a camera that felt great. However I had to return it because of the Flash performance. The onboard flash has a slightly longer delay between stobe and shutter than the other cams in the entry field. The flash delay caused my subjects' eyes to half close resulting in unattractive shots. I now have a Rebel XT and enjoy the speed and flexibility.To anyone considering an ultrazoom and a dSLR, I say do not be intimidated by the dSLR functions/options. You can use one as a P&S and get great shots while you learn how to make use of what a dSLR has to offer.?
Congrats on your new camera. Interesting point about the flash on the KM5D. I have noticed that sometimes, but I don't use the on-board flash that much, so it has not been a problem. Enjoy your Rebel.

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:04 PM   #69

Was looking through a photo magazine tonight and saw another DSLR. Samsung GX-1L. Went to the Samsung webpage, but it doesn't say much about it. I did download the manual.

In doing some google searches I found a lot stating that Samsung and Pentax were making cameras together. And, did notice that this GX-1L looks an awful lot like the Pentax *ist DS.

Anyone know anything about this?

Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:12 PM   #70

My theory (and that's all it is, a theory) is that Pentax put out the DS2. It was out for a very short time and all of a sudden, it's not available anywhere, and no one is talking about it. Right about that time Samsung put out their dSLR. Looks just like the DS (which I own), uses Pentax lenses. Best guess on my partis that's where the supply of DS2 cameras went.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote