Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 5, 2006, 3:32 AM   #71

Yeah, the Samsungs are in essence rebranded Pentax DSLR's. Samsung should soon come out with their image stabilized sibling to the K100. Hopefully at a lower price point. I'll stick to KM and Sony though since I got all the lenses and accessories. But otherwise either one of these would make a good choice.

Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 8:57 AM   #72

I did notice that the Pentax has a Pentax lens and the Samsung has a Schneider D-XENON 18mm-55mm.

Any major difference between the two?

I did see that B & H has a listing for the K100D now to ship in July. I entered for notification when they receive them.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 9:35 AM   #73

nhmom-

Pentax has a long and excellent reputation for their lenses in general. However, do keep in mind that each lens has to be judged on its own merrits. Like the Canon line and the Nikon line of DSLR cameras, Pentax, Canon and Nikon can also be fitted with "third party lenses" made by such lens makers as Sigma, Tamron and Tokina, becuse those third party lens makers produce lenses with the proper mount, as required, for the Pentax, Canon, and Nikon camera bodies.

As mtngal mentioned, one of the huge advantages for the Pentax and Konica Minolta brands of DSLR cameras is that they can effectively use older or used lenses that have the proper mount for their repsectiveDSLR cameras.

As it has been previously mentioned the new Samsung DSLR is nothing more than a re-badged Pentax DS2. Like Sony, Samsung wants to get into the rapidly expanding DSLR market, so we will probably see more new DSLR models from Samsung, that will pretty much follow along the Pentax DSLR development line from Pentax.

The new Pentax K-series will be out this month, and the stabilized Pentax K-series camera will follow in about September to October. Schnedier is a very respected, long time German Lens Maker. Schneider has not done DSLR lenses in some years, andI would imagine, they are also anxious to get a share of the rapidly expanding DSLR market. Samsung has worked with Schneider before with their Pro-815 fixed lens, long zoom camera, so it was somewhat natural that the Samsung DSLR camera would use Schneider lenses.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 12:05 PM   #74

I wonder if the Pentax lens on the Pentax DSLR's and the Schneider Kreuznach lens on the Samsung aren't identical and just part of their co-branding marketing deal that so many companies have going on now.

Rainer
Old Jul 5, 2006, 2:06 PM   #75

Rainer-

There would have to be an agreement to use the Schneider brand name from Schneider, but that might be a possibility.
MT
Old Jul 5, 2006, 2:15 PM   #76

I, for one, wouldn't touch a Samsung dSLR with a 10 foot pole. For now, it seems like they are just trying the water with their finger and not much else of it. If they were serious about getting into and planning to stay in dSLRs then they would have done something more like Panasonic or even Sony, and dive right in. Rebranding is such a messy job. Better get the real thing if you're at it. Pentax seem OK. Why not get the K100 instead of the awful Samsung rebrand.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 3:12 PM   #77

This is a fascinating topic. I very much like the idea of having the camera itself, rather than the lens, having the anti-shake function & I'm much tempted by Rainer's idea of combining a Tamron (or some similar zoom) lens with a D5, D7, or an A100, though I've read complaints about the quality of the D5 and D7 (if there any left).

On the other hand, the Sony R1 would (if only it had image stabilization) still appeal to me because, for one thing, it has no movie mode which (for me) is a completely unnecessary bell & whistle) & I don't like paying for things that I don't need.

Meantime, as I said, I'm hanging on to my 2.1 megapixels, Olympus C2100UZ - I don't know how people would rate the quality of this picture that I've just taken with it, but I'm not dissatisfied with it & it suits my purposes.

Attached Images

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 3:57 PM   #78

Herb-

I am also an ex C-2100 big time user as well. I have had my Panasonic TZ-1 for over a month now and it is pleasingly small, has 10X optical zoom with OIS, and it takes great photos. You might want to check out the TZ-1.

MT
Old Jul 5, 2006, 4:26 PM   #79

Herb wrote:
Quote:
This is a fascinating topic. I very much like the idea of having the camera itself, rather than the lens, having the anti-shake function & I'm much tempted by Rainer's idea of combining a Tamron (or some similar zoom) lens with a D5, D7, or an A100, though I've read complaints about the quality of the D5 and D7 (if there any left).

On the other hand, the Sony R1 would (if only it had image stabilization) still appeal to me because, for one thing, it has no movie mode which (for me) is a completely unnecessary bell & whistle) & I don't like paying for things that I don't need.

Meantime, as I said, I'm hanging on to my 2.1 megapixels, Olympus C2100UZ - I don't know how people would rate the quality of this picture that I've just taken with it, but I'm not dissatisfied with it & it suits my purposes.

Nice shot, Herb. Yeah, even a 2MP Digicam can take amazing shots at times. I like the flexibility of a DSLR though. I don't know where you heard about quality issues with the 5D and 7D. I am not aware of any. In fact they are known for their tough built. For me, my combo works very well. I keep the Tamron 28-300 on most of the time, but I have the option to use a faster lens or wider angle whenever I want to.

Rainer

Old Jul 5, 2006, 4:37 PM   #80

zygh wrote:
Quote:
I, for one, wouldn't touch a Samsung dSLR with a 10 foot pole. For now, it seems like they are just trying the water with their finger and not much else of it. If they were serious about getting into and planning to stay in dSLRs then they would have done something more like Panasonic or even Sony, and dive right in. Rebranding is such a messy job. Better get the real thing if you're at it. Pentax seem OK. Why not get the K100 instead of the awful Samsung rebrand.

I think you might be a little harsh there on Samsung. I think Pentax needsSamsung as much in order to develop and manufacture their electronic components asSamsung needs Pentax for their optical expertise and superior brand image. There are tons of alliances out there and optical companies rely on electronics companies and vice versa. For example, the Nikon DSLR's, just as Minoltas all havebeen usingCCD's manufactured by Sony. Kodak has been using the Schneider Kreuznach name on their lenses, Sony the Carl Zeiss name. Each of those companies can make fine products and have been using cross branding and marketing to secure their piece of the pie. I rather would get the same camera with the Samsung name than the Pentax name if it saves me a couple of hundred bucks, regardless of the snoddy grins those hard core Canon users might give me. And I most certainly have no problem with the Sony brand, knowing that their cameras are a continuation of the Konica Minolta tradition.

Rainer