Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 5, 2006, 5:22 PM   #81

Rainer-

I agree with your comments. As the DSLR market continues to expand, we are going to see many interesting/unusual alliances. If Samsung funds Pentax leap to 10mp and they share the camera, with the camera badged under both the Pentax and Samsung brands, that will be a step forward very much like what Sony has done for KM.

IMHO the dust has yet to really settle in the DSLR market.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 5:41 PM   #82

MT - Yes, the TZ1 sounds like a capable little camera. Unfortunately, the absence of an eye-level viewfinder means that I'd need to hold it at arm's length & I doubt I could hold it steady enough. I like an eye-level viewfinder because to use it you need to press the camera against your face & (in my case) I think that helps me to keep the camera still.

Herb
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 5:45 PM   #83

Panasonics have a serious issue with noise. It usually higher than average. That alone is something that should make one very weary when considering a Panasonic. I have owned and used the FZ30 and the only thing I could reproach to that camera was that, for me, the maximum usabilty of it was ISO 100. Fujifilms on the other hand to a great job at it. Still, nothing compares to a sweet dSLR.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 8:26 PM   #84

zygh-

Cover both bases. Carry a Nikon D-50 and a Fuji F-30. They compliment each other.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 1:08 AM   #85

I got a similar setup: KM5D and Fuji F11. The FZ30 was the fifth wheel and had to go.

Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 2:00 AM   #86

I do. I have the D50 and the F10.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 10:38 AM   #87

rduve wrote:
Quote:
I got a similar setup: KM5D and Fuji F11. The FZ30 was the fifth wheel and had to go.

Rainer
I am considering the F30 to compliment my KM5D and 7D arsenalbased on what I hear about the F10 and F11, but it annoys me that it doesn't have an optical viewfinder. I say that despitethe viewfinders being too small on P&S cameras It does have high ISO and reportedly low noise, which says a lot. I guess at some point you have to give something up, since it seems there is no perfect option.

I would consdier theF30 the ultimate P&S if it hadoptical viewfinder, a little more zoom, different media storage and Image Stabilization. If i had to pick only one of those, I would say the viewfinder would be desirable despite image stabilization being important to the quality of the shots. I say this after owning an FZ30 and using an EVF. EVF's just don't cut it, although nicer than just relying on an LCD.

Funny how when I started looking at getting a camera I wasset to buy aP&S. Had my mind set on a canon, but got turned off about LCDproblems, then was gonna go Casio, but they had lenserror issues, although supposedly addressed with the new models. I ended up with the FZ30 as myP&S "all-in one ultrazoom pretending to be an DSLR camera". What a mistake that was... tried hard to convince myself that the noise was acceptable. The biggestjoke about an Ultrazoom in that price range is there is no substantial price savings compared to the right entry level DSLRmarried to the right lens. True, you might not have the Ultrazoom range unless you opt to getabargain pair up like a KM 5D and Tamron28-300MM. Even if you end paying 100 to 300 more to get a basic DSLR, it is stills worth it, dust issues included. ThankGod I was able to return theFZ30, although I would have beenable to sell it on EBay for more than I paid.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 10:43 AM   #88
Super Moderator

Considerthe Panasonic FX01 on your list of P&S to complement your SLR.

My main camera is the Canon 20D, but for a P&S there was nothing that could match the features of the FX01.

The new FujiF30 doesn't change that opinion, because for me having a 28mm equivalent wide angle was more important than the better noise profile. Also I have not found the FX01 to be a poor low-light performer at all, it's perfectly respectable for a P&S.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:27 AM   #89

I bought the Kodak P850 and all the accessory lenses and flash unit. Then Pentax came along with their $100 rebate on the *ist DL (making it $367 with a kit lens), so I ordered the Pentax and my Kodak gear is on ePrey.

I did keep my Canon S1 as it's my defacto camcorder, and I wanted a walk around P&S. My wife also has a Kodak V530 which is a great little pocket camera.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:30 AM   #90

Panasonics have a noise issue, a big one. They should really adress this problem before convincing an ex-Panny owner like myself to go buy thier stuff ever again. It's like I wrote on other threads. The FZ30 is a superb camera but the high noise at even a basic ISO 100 totally ruins everything, for me, at least.

I agree with meanstreak 101%. The FZ30 is what finally got me to go dSLR. I couldn't go back to a compact P&S after having all those manual setting at my hand. In my opinion, the standard at which all P&S should be reviewed should be the Fujis. I don't care whether it's postprocessing or magic, the important thing for me is that the Fujis get you where you wanna go more times than a noisy digicam like Panny does.

Having wide in P&S cams is important, I don't dispute that, but, in my opinion, it is much more important to get usable results straight out of the camera.I am attaching a snapshot I took with my Fujifilm F10 at ISO800. It was wellafter sun-down, the only illumination was from a street lamp.I only resized it in Photoshop. Download it to see full exif. peripathetic, can you please share with the rest of us an unprocessed image at even ISO400 with the FX01 in similar light conditions as the photo I have posted?

Attached Images