Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 9, 2006, 1:17 AM   #1

I was wondering if you guys can help me on deciding what is the best compact camera out there that has the best image quality? By this i mean sharpest image, vibrant colours, low noise, and least chance of getting a blurry picture.

If possible i would like one that is a few years old (like a 2004-2005) model, so i can get it cheap on ebay. I recently purchased a Canon s500 on ebay, and the image quality is good, but i am not looking for good, i am looking for EXCELLENT! any advice?
Apples123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2006, 11:42 AM   #2

p&s with excellent quality - None, IMHO. You need to move up to bigger sensors in dSLRs.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 12:03 PM   #3

well...then the P&S compact with the BEST quality only out of compacts?
Old Jun 10, 2006, 1:44 PM   #4

This is too vague a question, and there are just so many possibilities that it is impossible to answer. Truth is, any name brand camera (nikon, canon, sony, etc) will yield decent if not great images. Compact camera's have compromises (all cameras do in reality) that make it difficult for them to yield great images all the time. Small sizes makes keeping the camera steady difficult, small sensors and underpowered flashes cause them to struggle in low light, etc. Ergonomics is key factor many people fail to consider. Not every camera fits every hand or is easy to use. In reality, in a lot of ways, your camera does not matter...technique and understanding the basics of photography and your camera are the only way to get consistantly great results...this matters more than the camera you are using. It's just as easy to get bad pics with a great camera if your not using it correctly.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2006, 2:16 PM   #5

I posted this because i recently purchased a canon s500 (not SD), off of e-bay in mint condition. My pictures sometimes come out blurry, or lack sharpness. I am thinking of selling this one and getting another one. My eye is on the panasonic dmc-fx01, but i keep hearing that it is noisy, however when i look at sample pictures on pbase.com, the pictures look awesome! I just need a few camera models that take the BEST pictures, and i do understand that point and shoot cameras aren't the best for image quality, but i must have a compact camera becasue i wanto to carry it in my pocket EVERYWEAR! any suggestions?
Old Jun 11, 2006, 8:22 AM   #6

Blurry/soft pics are often a result of poor lighting (especially indoors). The camera is required to use a slow shutter speed to obtain proper exposure. Changing cameras will not remedy this. Make sure you are shooting at the widest aperature and minimum zoom, as this allows the most light into the camera. and if necessary, use the flash. Before spending more money on a new camera, make sure you completely understand all the ins and outs of the one you currently have, and the basics of exposure. You will find that just about all compact struggle with subject/motion blur in indoor/low light situations. What appears to be good light to our eye is often pretty dark for a camera.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote