Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 10, 2006, 3:31 PM   #1

I know questions like this are asked all the time but i am about to buy a DSLR and what to make sure I make the right choice. In Canada I can get the the Nikon D50 with kit lens and 512mb sd card for $849 or the Pentax *ist DL2 TWO LENS KIT FOR $881. I Have held the D50 and liked the way it feels but the pentax has more options. If anyone has used either or both please give me your impresions.
turbo_sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2006, 6:18 PM   #2

I was comparing the DL to the D50. I was able to get the DL shipped for $464 which around here is $100 or so less than the D50 shipped. I bought on price.

Sadly, it has been raining all week and there has been no way for me to put it through any kind of tests real tests other than inside my house.

The biggest complaint of the DL is the slow autofocus. Again, I have only tried indoors in miserable light and it is slow. It actually locks to a target fast, is visually in focus fast but takes an extra split second to lock and beep then you can take the picture. I think you can set the camera to snap anytime you fully press the button down though so not a big deal.

Manual focus is really easy on this camera even in low light indoors so manual focus will be a snap.

Image quality is totally amazing. I have a 3mp Canon A70 which I love but photos from the DL are sharp and detailed so far. There is a wow factor for sure.

It looks like the DL2 has more focus points and it has some sort of preview on the LCD of what the image might look like. I don't know what that is but the DL and the D50 don't have that I don't think.

Do you check depth of field? I don't think the D50 has a depth of field checker. The DL series does and it works fast and easy and great.

The 2.5" lcd is a joy for review, can take 3 different types of batteries includiing AA's.

I am pleased with it's light weight, small size and build quality.

My take right now is if you are not shooting kids running around or lots of sports action shots and need instant lightning fast autofocus then go the DL2 because if you can get the 18-55 and the 70-210???? Pentax lens and see yourself using the higher zoom lens..well I bet it will be another $150+ for a Nikon lens. It's only like $27 for a fast 1 gig sd card for the Pentax.

If speed is not an issue go Pentax. If it is...go Nikon. That's my take based on owning the DL and trying in the store the D50.
corvairfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2006, 7:35 PM   #3

Here is a photo I took of my cat with the 1sdl. Iso 3200. One of those standup 3 way flourescent lamps with the round ring at level 2 brightness on the lamp. No flash.

You can see that the noise level...to my newbie eyes...is pretty darn low at ISO 3200. The auto white balance does make these type of flourescents go orange. Manual wb looks great though.
Attached Images

Old Jun 10, 2006, 7:50 PM   #4

Well I did jump outside and take 1 outdoorsy shot of my neighbors fake flowers. I did a 3 bracket burst. Normal exposure, +1 and -1...very cool feature that bracket mode.

Don't know which one this is.

You can see the DL does push the colors a bit but the default in the camera is more vivid. You can set that to nuetral and the colors will be more natural.
Attached Images

Old Jun 11, 2006, 10:47 AM   #5

thanks for the pictures and the help. With the prices that i have quoted which one would you get. The DL2 comes with 18-55 and 55-200.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:38 AM   #6

I personally would still get the D50, I own a D50 and have only seen peoples pictures via the Pentax, BUT 100% crops of the Pentax have that same fuzziness that I was trying to avoid by upgrading to a DSLR. Its almost as if things aren't quite in focus.

Its hard to explain, but its like a lack of detail. These were all taken with the kit lens aswell. But I find the D50's Kit lens outperforms the Pentax.

Also theres the fact that you will be buying new lenses for Either the Pentax or Nikon, Pentax while now supported by some Sigma and Tamron lenses, Still doesn't have the massive selection of new AND used lenses floating around. I haven't done much research on the Pentax side, but the Nikon has a ridiculous selection, and therefore you can price shop.

The 55-200mm lens that Pentax has is about $150 for Nikon's equivelant. So Its not really a big "savings" to buy the Pentax.

I would worry more about what lenses (and flash's) you think you need in the future.
Lexiticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 12:13 PM   #7

turbo_sr wrote:
Quote:
With the prices that i have quoted which one would you get.
Your stressing over a couple dollars difference.... do you even care about the photography?

Ponitac vs Chevy vs Nissan...
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 12:46 PM   #8

Its not a few dololars its a two lens kit vs a single lens kit and the pentax 50-200 is $276CAD. I was just asking ifpeople thoughtthe deal for the pentax was good enough to buy it over the nikon.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 1:01 PM   #9

Hi Turbo. I had a chance to play around more with my DL yesterday.

No doubt that the raw shots with this camera are crystal clear while the jpegs are softer. But I am very satisfied with the sharpness, color and image quality of this camera. I blew up to a 6x9 from raw and it looks fantastic....can't figure out to get 8x10 on my printer...LOL.

Autofocus is slower than I like in low light but outdoors it is fine. You can fly through setting the ISO, color temp, bracket mode very fast and easy. Very intuitive to use. I used all of these plus manual controls a lot yesterday and it really is a breeze to use.

Did your read reviews on the DL2? Has any focus or jpeg image quality improved with that update?

Again, for my needs this is a great camera at a low price. Course I am happy with my Canon A70 shots and I previously shot on a Canon AE1 film camera to give you my history.

I think that if you are really concerned about focus speed and the ultimate sharpness straight from the camera then you should spend the extra dough on the Nikon.

If you are looking to get into DSLR for a hobby and some fun leisurly shots and concerned about price...go Pentax...the photos are great so far.

Have you had a chance to try any Pentax's to get a feel for the camera? That will be a crucial test.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Old Jun 12, 2006, 1:19 PM   #10

The problem with the DL2 is I have not been able to find any reviews on it or the Samsung equivalent