Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 11, 2006, 9:51 PM   #1

Okay, I know you all must be sick on me, this is like my third camera topic on buying one, but I have not much money so I have one shot and one shot only at buying a good camera, I'll have one soon, then I can actually contribute to the forum

Anyways, my two finalists are the Canon Powershot A530 and the Kodak EasyShare P850. Anyone who has used either, please post thoughts.

Basically, they have the same megapixels but the Kodak is much larger (doesn't matter to me) and more expensive... the Kodak has Image Stabilization (I've heard it's useful for beginners), a 12 times zoon (compared to the Canon's 4 times) and a lithium ion rather than AA's.

Any opinions or advice is much appreciated, I should note that the Kodak is $100 more but that really isn't a factor to me when comparing the two. I just don't want to miss some critical feature that is needed for photography.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2006, 12:39 AM   #2

Alright, let me make this broader... anyone who hasn't used either, please give me some opinions, and if you have used them, all the better. I'm gonna go get some sleep, a reply by morning would be nice:G
Old Jun 12, 2006, 6:04 PM   #3

I'll take one last stab at this topic, tomorrow I'm buying the Kodak P850, so if anybody thinks I'm making a mistake, please let me know.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 9:07 PM   #4

The cameras that you are considering are quite different. I have the A530, and like it. It's pocketable, has good picture quality, and many features. I bought the P850 for my dad.He likes it.It's at least twice as big (both volume and weight) as the A530, but has a 12X optical zoom and image stabilization. It also has many features. If I just wanted to carry something fairly compact around to snap whatever scene appeared before me, I would get the A530. However, for versatility and overall zoom capabilities, I would go for the P850.

Good luck with your choice!
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 9:51 PM   #5

Thank you very much, I was aware of the size difference, although I would like a compact camera, I feel that it's worth having one thats a big more bulky in exchange for the extra features. I was mostly just worried that I would buy one and find out that their was something super important that it was missing.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply, I think I'll go with the P850.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 10:54 AM   #6

My dad really likes his P850, and brings it to most big family gatherings. He likes its big LCD and stabilized images. Kodak cameras tend to be easy to use. I thinkyou will be happy with it. Good luck!
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 7:54 PM   #7

I am now the proud owner of a Kodak P850, thanks all
Old Jun 13, 2006, 9:57 PM   #8

yay! i was late on this topic.. but i wouldve picked the kodak.. bcuz AA/AAA batteries make me sick!
omGARY is offline   Reply With Quote