Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 12, 2006, 2:15 PM   #1

Many years ago my dad was a hobbyist photographer. Now that he's retired he's looking to get back into it. He owns a variety of Pentax cameras (K1000, ME Super, P5) and lenses and wants to get a digital SLR that's compatible with his old lenses. I've glanced over some of the models and being as ignorant as I am, I can't really tell the difference; especially between the *ist models. Can anyone explain the current Pentax model lines and help point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Amerikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2006, 4:16 PM   #2

I'm not a pentax guy but I found this:

Pentax history
All Pentax's digital SLRs are compatible with K-mount lenses, and M42 (42 mm screw mount) lenses (with adaptor).

The Pentax website was utterly useless, just as expected. WHY manufacurers are terrified of supplying the world with useful information about thier products is beyond me. Its all crap.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 4:54 PM   #3

At the moment all of the *ist cameras use the same sensor, so quality is equally good. The differences between them have to do with how many focus points they have (the DS has more than the DL), the viewfinder, and the LCD screen size(DS is smaller). The differences are small to me (though they can be abigger dealto other people, I guess). I have the DS and love it, while I know others have the DL and DL2 and love them. I don't think he would be disappointed in whichever one you buy (I'd buy whichever is cheaper, which is why I have the DS, it was an older model).

About half the time I use lenses that I had bought for an ME camera in 1980, when I first got the camera I used them most of the time.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 8:10 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses. I was surprised how unhelpful the Pentax website was. I tried to use the "Compare our cameras" feature and found that the only difference between their DSLR models is the weight. Clearly that's not the case. How do the K100 and K110 compare to the *ist models? I know the K100 has some jitter reduction, are there any other differences?
Amerikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 2:50 PM   #5

It will be interesting to see the K series camera reviewswhen they come out. I've read where the camera will have a different sensor than the *ist camerassoI'll be interested to see if that affects the quality of the pictures (if it's true, don't know one way or the other). The K models will have more focus points than the DL or DL2, which can be nice (though I tend to use center pointbecause that's what I'm used to andit's the only thingavailable forthe K-mount manual lenses I often use).

One of the items that is supposed to change is the software that Pentax is shipping with the new cameras - it sounds like it will be better than the basic software they now have (which isn't bad, just very basic. Since I use CS2, it won't make any difference to me).

At this point I'm not planning on upgrading myDS, mainlybecause I wasn't all that impressed with the anti-shake on the Panasonic FZ30 (didn't help me enough to overcome some of the things I didn't like about that particular camera). I don't know if the anti-shake will add enough or not, and I realize I'm in the minority on this issue - others often find it a deal-breaker one way or the other. If you don't mind waiting a month, it might be worth waiting and seeing what the reviews say about the camera and if that will affect the price of the DL.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 3:46 PM   #6

The Pentax K100 is supposed to come out in July. It has anti-shake. The K110 is supposed to come out in August. According to the specs I've seen on the Pentax site and at B&H, there are only two significant differences between the two cameras:

A. K100 has anti-shake, K110 does not
B. K100 will cost about $100 more than the K110 - this difference is due primarily to the presence or absence of anti-shake.

I'm looking at both cameras and deciding if the anti-shake is worth another $100. My only quibble is the 6MP. I think I want 7.5 or 8.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:21 AM   #7

Hi Sorry to hijack the thread,

I'm also decided that I'd like a Pentax DSLR...the question is, which one? In the UK, I can get the DS for under £400, the DL/DL2 for under £350. However, the K100D is coming soon. Do I get the DS (because of it's pentamirror) or wait for the K100D and its SR function? All I'm looking for is a solid piece of equipment, at an affordable price, so I can start my journey towards taking great photos. The application: street photography, many of which may be in low light (since I can't get out much in the day time); Portraits and pictures of bugs; and wildlife (safari).

Any advice that I could use to make a final decision would be grateful.

Regards,

Milo:O
Milo00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 11:59 AM   #8

I have the DS and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. From everything I've heard, the DL's viewfinder is very good even though it isn't a pentamirror - not sure that alone would be worth the extra money for the DS. The DS does have more focus points, and for street photography that might be important (one of a couple of reasons why I got the DS over the DL). However, I've ended up going to center focus and spot metering because that's what I'm used to so that ended up not being a big deal to me.

Think of all the pictures you could take while waiting for the new K series to come out! There's always new, better sounding cameras coming out and if you waited for each one, you'd be waiting forever. Both the DS and the DL are well made cameras. You can pick up an old 50mm 1.4 or 1.7 lens pretty inexpensively for low light conditions and get out there taking pictures right away. You could always upgrade to a new K series camera in a year or two, when you've had a lot of experience with your DS/DL.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 12:13 PM   #9

hi, thanks for the response.

Since the DS and DL are available to me for almost the same price, am I better off spending the extra few pounds on the DS? Is there anything the DL/DL2 do better?
Milo00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 12:21 PM   #10

I am going to buy te Pentax DL2 from Jessops on Sunday morning... £349.99. Is this a good price? It seems to be as it comes with the 18-55 DA lens too. Can anyone find a reason why not to get it?

Also, I will be getting a memory card from Emartbuy.co.uk - are they usually good with shipping etc?

Cheers!!

Mark
:-)
greenphotos is offline   Reply With Quote