Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 13, 2006, 4:25 PM   #1

Just ready to buy the Casio EX-Z600, but then saw the movie mode is MPEG4. I think I need the movie mode to be Quicktime, since I use iDVD (Mac), & make a lot of DVDs with slideshows of my photos. Would be great to also add some movie clips. I understand that I can't bring in MPEG video to iDVD. Any suggestions on a comparable camera to the Casio, that has the Quicktime movie mode? Just looking for a good 6-8 megapixel...with good indoor (like for conventions!) capability. Thanks....
JoanA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2006, 3:30 PM   #2

Hi:

Although I do not work with a MAC, I would assume that iDVD can work with MPEG since MPEG is the actual format that DVD video is compressed as (actually MPEG2). You should be able to bring in several movie formats and mix and match them. Once you have layed out your edits, then all of the video gets encoded as MPEG2 before it is ready to put on a DVD disc.

As for digicam movie modes, you would want to ge the best quality (resolution) as possible. In the past, most digicam movie modes have been 320 x 240 pixels at 15 or 30 fps (frames per second). That is ok, but gives you VHS quality video output to a DVD at best. On the other hand, some of the newer digicams are now able to do 640 x 480 video or higher (at 30 fps), which is much closer to the actually resolution of DVD video itself (which is 720 x 480 pixels). Therefore, the 640 x 480 video is at least 4 times better looking on a DVD!

As for what camera to buy, I just recently went through this decision process. I settled on a Canon S3IS as much for its video capabilities as its still image quality.Having used this forseveral weeks now, I think it actually takes better video than still images! The Canon S3IS takes 640 x 480 video at 30 fps and with stereo sound (one of the first digicams to do stereo sound)! The video is great except for one small problem. Itrecords video in AVI format, which is a Microsoft specific format that is uncompressed. This means HUGE files and the possibility of not being able to be loaded in iDVD in your case. I'm taking thevideo andencoding it as MPEG2 before saving the files on my server. The files can be 90% smaller in most cases.

I hope this helps in answeringyour question.

Mike

www.deck7studios.com
mclendenen1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:44 PM   #3

I'm now actually ready to get either the Canon SD630, or Canon SD700 IS (for the image stablilization). As far as using iDVD to make my slideshows, iDVD will only import Quicktime files. Yep, you'd think mpeg would work, but no! What I tried: downloaded the "avi" movie file from Steve's review of the Canon SD630. Doesn't work for my iDVD projects, however, I was able to use Toast Titanium, & make a Video CD (VCD), which works fine in a DVD player. Just no bells & whistles like iDVD with backgrounds, neat motion menus etc.

My research continues...I believe I can download software to convert avi files to mov files. Then I could incorporate those in my iDVD projects.

See, I started off looking for a good digital camera, & got "stuck" with checking out what I could do with the short movie clips I might take. Thanks, for your input - I'm now getting energized to make my purchase, & get going!
JoanA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 9:54 AM   #4

iDVD does not support mpeg2. It's a basic software that does not support many formats. There is a lot of confusion about video formats. Mpeg2 is the format used on DVDs but it is a delivery format, one that is highly compressed and was not designed for editing. AVI is not highly compressed and is therefore a much better format for editing and much higher quality.

You are better off editing the avi files first andthen converting themfor final output.
sail978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 4:30 PM   #5
E.T

sail978 wrote:
Quote:
There is a lot of confusion about video formats.* Mpeg2 is the format used on DVDs but it is a delivery format, one that is highly compressed and was not designed for editing.* AVI is not highly compressed and is therefore a much better format...
Well... at least you proved your own words: AVI is "container" (like Matroska or Ogg), not some video format and those can contain video (+ audio streams)compressed with very wide range of codecs.

Quicktime is also container in that it can contain video compressed by many codecs, starting from Motion JPEG to H264/AVC

http://www.divxland.org/container_formats.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Container_format
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...tainer_formats
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote