Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 14, 2006, 1:42 PM   #11
Administrator

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
All I point out is that Canon & Nikon both offer an upgrade path - with the 30D and D200 being the second level up.
Yes, as it stands right now, the only upgrade path from a Konica Minolta 5D or 7D is the new Sony Alpha 100 (10.2 Megapixels and capable of shooting at 3 frames per second until a fast memory card is full in it's highest quality jpeg mode).

No model targeted at sports shooters yet if you want more than that, and the new Sony is limited to ISO 1600 (as are the entry level models from Nikon and Canon).

We'll have to wait and see what else they have "up their sleeves". But, the new Sony Alpha 100 is probably going to sell very well, especially since you're getting a body with a 10.2 Megapixel Sensor for only $899.95 (list, not discounted) with anti-shake for every lens. A Nikon D200 using a Sony 10.2 Megapixel Sensor is selling for closer to $1,699. ;-)

Yes, they're not in the same market niche, and the new Sony Alpha 100 is probably designed to make a big dent in the under $1,000 DSLR segment. But, Sony will most likely release more bodies later over the next few years. We'll have to wait and see what they have planned for features.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 11:06 AM   #12

I will tout a superzoom. No, it won't do as good a job as a good DSLR with a fast lens, but it will do better than your Sony. It's the Fuji FinePix S5200. It has 10X optical zoom, short shutter lag, and ISO settings up to 1600. It's also pretty easy to use. You can get it for less than $300 online. Check out Steve's review of it here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...s5200_pg5.html

I have taken decent pictures with itat college and pro basketball games (indoors) and high school and major league baseball games (outdoors, night). If you decided to go this route, you could wait a year before making the plunge with a DSLR.

robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 5:22 PM   #13

Well, after looking at the Digital Rebel XT, the Nikons and the Olympus, I went with the KM 7D. I reasoned that yes, KM will now be Sony but I have no doubt that there will be more than one model. A company like Sony doesn't buy a company just to produce one model. And they're already in the digital market.

Secondly, of the three, the KM 7D felt great, much better than the Canon and Nikon. The price was right at Walmart and I've purchaed a Tamron 28-300mm lens. So, now I have a better camera for shooting sports that I can grow into. Andeventually,I might buy acouple more.

What happens down the road? I don't know. I still think I'm ahead of the game. I already have a camera that is an upgrade from the Rebel XT or the Nikon. And who knows what camera companies will be doing. If I bought a Canon or Nikon, will I know that I would only stick with their camera bodies in the future because I have their lenses?

I only know what my requirements are now and with the KM 7D, I know I have a camera that will suit my needs for a long time, even if I decide to become more involved with photography.
sail978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 6:40 PM   #14
Administrator

robbo wrote:
Quote:
I will tout a superzoom. No, it won't do as good a job as a good DSLR with a fast lens, but it will do better than your Sony. It's the Fuji FinePix S5200. It has 10X optical zoom, short shutter lag, and ISO settings up to 1600. It's also pretty easy to use. You can get it for less than $300 online. Check out Steve's review of it here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...s5200_pg5.html

I have taken decent pictures with itat college and pro basketball games (indoors) and high school and major league baseball games (outdoors, night). If you decided to go this route, you could wait a year before making the plunge with a DSLR.
I'd go along with that for someone on a budget.

This particular Fuji model is pretty good at higher ISO speeds in low light, and it's lens is much brighter than average as more optical zoom is used (it beats the heck out of most compact models, which tend to lose 2/3 of the light at max zoom).

It all boils down to user expectations, viewing/print sizes, and percentage of acceptable keepers.

I've got sharp photos taken with pocket cameras in low light conditions using shutter speeds of around 1/10 to 1/15 second (of non-stationary subjects) at ISO 200.

Of course, we won't talk about the 95 photos out of 100 that were blurry trying that approach. ;-)

But, a model like the Fuji S5200 would be a HUGE improvement over a model like the OP is currently using, and give relatively acceptable performance in most conditions, for a lot of users.

A serious sports shooter is going to try and capture every nuance of what's happening. So, faster frame rates, fast AF (able to track moving subjects), faster write speeds to media, faster shutter speeds (thanks to bright lenses and higher ISO speeds) , and low noise (thanks to larger sensors) at reasonable viewing sizes are needed.

But, for the average "family" photographer, capturing memories of their children is more important than how great an image looks at 8x10" viewing sizes, or if there is a bit of motion blur in the images they capture, or if they capture the exact moment someone dunks a basketall, etc.

The OP mentioned a $1000 budget. So, I think most of us are leaning towards the best solution $1k can buy. But, that doesn't mean that you can't get acceptable results using a less expensive solution, depending on your expectations.

Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:04 AM   #15

I have decided to splurge and go with the Canon EOS 30D. Upgrade-ablilty and having owned a prior Canon SLR swayed me. I will be getting into lenses soon, it comes with a 17-55mm I believe. Any recommendations on lenses, ones mentioned and others are greatly appreciated. Thank you all for the prior help and recommendations.
BobbyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:59 AM   #16
Administrator

I'd go with JohnG's recommendations.

As he said, I'd probably start off with a Canon 50mm f/1.8 AF Lens for indoor low light use (and perhaps a little longer prime around 85 or 100mm).

If you've got the budget, for sports I"d get a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro HSM if you buy new (around $800 discounted), or they have several "flavors" of this lens with and without some of the desginations (like DG, which supposedly provides better coatings for digital) and Macro, and even HSM .

But, if you compromise on some of that type of thing, you may find you a better deal on the used market.

I'd check the Canon Autofocus Lenses at these vendors (they all sell both new and used gear). You may spot some bargains on some bright primes and zooms. I'd go for a higher quality lens used, versus a lower quality lens new.

http://www.keh.com

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

http://www.adorama.com

Make sure to visit the Canon Lenses Forum and ask for opinions on any lenses you consider.