Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 14, 2006, 5:59 PM   #1

In deciding between an entry DSLR(XT, D50, Maxuum) and Super zooms (Fz7) I have found that the less expensive FZ7 has anti shake whereas the XT and D50 don't which seems to force one to more expensive lenses. And the Maxxum has it in the body. I have a slight tremor which doesn't seem to effect my pix since I use a cheek-weld with the view finder on my A70 (which has a shutterbutton that isn't working).

From somewhere I recall the anti-shake as giving about 3 stops improvement; I think this is = to 1/8 the shutter speed at the same ISO. ???

Appreciate any wisdom.

Thanx!!

i
braveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2006, 7:22 PM   #2

I love antishake/IS !

Well lets say you have a superzoom with a reach of 432mm.

Normally wisdom says the slowest shutter speed to use (handheld)is 1/focal length or even for safety 1/1.5xfocal length

So that is 1/432s - 1/650s

With two stops gained by the IS that becomes 1/100 - 1/162s much better.

Some people claim IS can gain you over 3 stops , 3 taking you to 1/50s - 1/80s and thats hand held !

With the tcon on my Sony H1 (734mm!) I can hand hold a teleshot at 1/200s or even 1/100s if I am carefull .

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 7:27 PM   #3

Shutterbugs like us have been getting by just fine without it for over a century. But once you use it, it's hard to go back.
Skuzzlebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 4:19 AM   #4

IS is essential on 10-12X zoom cameras, but a ridiculous extravagance on a 3-5X zoom,
mweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 7:48 AM   #5
Administrator

I should give you 2 to 3 stops improvement. 3 stops does mean shutter speeds 1/8 of what you'd normally need to hand hold a camera. But, I would only count on 2 stops consistently over what you can normally hand hold. If you get 3 or more, consider it a bonus. ;-)

Without a tripod or anti-shake, the rule of thumb is that shutter speeds should be 1/focal length or faster. IOW, if you're at 30mm, you need 1/30 second or faster. If you're at 50mm, 1/50 second or faster, etc.

But, it's only a rule of thumb. Some people can hold a camera steadier than others, and some may require even faster shutter speeds.

The longer the focal length, the more camera shake is amplfied, which is why we have a 1/focal length rule of thumb.

But, if your shooting moving subjects, you'll also need to make sure your shutter speeds are fast enough (anti-shake only helps with blurfrom camera shake, not from subject movement).

To get fast enough shutter speeds for non-stationary subjects in many low light conditions without a flash, you'll need to make sure the lens you use is bright enough (larger available apertures, represented by smaller f/stop numbers), using a camera that has higher available ISO speeds.

BTW, here are some good articles on the KM 7D that you may want to read through by Mike Johnston (a professional photographer and writer):

He was so impressed with his 7D that he devotedsome of hisweekly Sunday Morning Photographer articles to it (a discontinued series now, but Mike was writing this weekly column for a long time).

Catch the Rave!

The Tale told by Two Pictures

BTW, Sony is now claiming 2 to 3 1/2 stops of improvement with thenew Alpha 100. They probably improved the algorithms to give it another half stop. Steve has a First Look Preview here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_.../alpha100.html

Quote:
IS is essential on 10-12X zoom cameras, but a ridiculous extravagance on a 3-5X zoom
I'd disagree with you. Anytime your shutter speeds get below 1/focal length for most users, it will help get a sharper image if you're not using a tripod.

For early morning landscapes where you stop down the aperture, it's helpful. Even for macros (where you may want to stop down the aperture for more depth of field) it's a great feature to have. So, it's not just useful in low light (although I personally get the most benefit in low light, shooting at shutter speeds much slower than I would be able to without a tripod with another camera).

I've managed to get usable images shooting at around 1/10 second with a 100mm f/2 using my Konica Minolta 5D in very low light (underexposing ISO 3200 to get shutter speeds that fast).This lens would be equivalent to a 150mm lens on a 35mm camera. You'd normally want shutter speeds 15 times as fast without a tripod (so, I was shooting well outside of the design limits for anti-shake).

I probably won't buy another DSLR without it (I'm currently shooting with a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D). I love having it in the body, since all lenses you buy benefit from the technology (bright primes, macro lenses, cheap zooms, etc.).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:04 AM   #6

whilst agreeing with jimc that the anti-shake method employed in K/M cams does have cost/performance advantages over other manufacturers methods, i still say that it is NOT at all important when viewed overall. Probably 99% plus of photographers do not use cams with anti-shake technology, yet somehow they manage to achieve more than acceptable results in most situations.
mweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:07 AM   #7
Administrator

mweb wrote:
Quote:
Probably 99% plus of photographers do not use cams with anti-shake technology, yet somehow they manage to achieve more than acceptable results in most situations.
Yes, and a lot of them are using tripods, too. ;-)

Now that I'm shooting with a KM 5D, I leave my tripod in the car more often than not.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:08 AM   #8

Skuzzlebutt wrote:
Quote:
Shutterbugs like us have been getting by just fine without it for over a century. But once you use it, it's hard to go back.
Yup. I have even managed wide angle shots of 1/2 second that show no blur, of course I was very careful about holding the camera steady...

I turned it off once and forgot to turn it back on, got a few blurry pictures before I realized what happened.

Quote:
IS is essential on 10-12X zoom cameras, but a ridiculous extravagance on a 3-5X zoom,
Ridiculous indeed!!! From someone who's never had IS, I'd guess.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:10 AM   #9

This guy discovered uses for AS that werent expected, I have used that technique myself and love it.

" Before I got my hands on the Canon [IS] lens, I always thought of IS as a second-best substitute for faster aperture. But the real beauty of IS is that you can add a real sense of movement to your photos in the same way you can with a tripod, but can't with a fast, non-stabilised lens."
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 9:43 AM   #10

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:
This guy discovered uses for AS that werent expected, I have used that technique myself and love it.

" Before I got my hands on the Canon [IS] lens, I always thought of IS as a second-best substitute for faster aperture. But the real beauty of IS is that you can add a real sense of movement to your photos in the same way you can with a tripod, but can't with a fast, non-stabilised lens."
Can you explain more fully.

Thx
braveht is offline   Reply With Quote