Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 20, 2006, 4:41 PM   #11

For the A100, please see if you can find documentation on the controls.
According to Ken Rockwell, http://www.kenrockwell.com/sony/a100.htm, the A100 seems to have many of its important settings buried in menus rather accessible directly via a button or command dial. This may cause you to miss important shots if you have to adjust settings by navigating menus.
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 4:45 PM   #12
Administrator

Webapprentice wrote:
Quote:
According to Ken Rockwell, http://www.kenrockwell.com/sony/a100.htm, the A100 seems to have many of its important settings buried in menus rather accessible directly via a button or command dial. This may cause you to miss important shots if you have to adjust settings by navigating menus.
Ken has a habit of "reviewing" cameras that he's never used. Ken's articles can be entertaning. But, I'd take anything that Ken says with a large "grain of salt".

It's a good control layout for most users.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 1:06 PM   #13

Yeah I'm not real concerned about a "review" that ends explaining why the camera won't actually be reviewed.

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Ken has a habit of "reviewing" cameras that he's never used. Ken's articles can be entertaning. But, I'd take anything that Ken says with a large "grain of salt".

sagefool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 4:23 PM   #14

If you shooting in supertele range then I would suggest going with canon. Get 20D (almost brand new are cheap) and something like 100-400L IS or 400mm f5.6 (no IS). The zoom doesn't work well with 1.4xTC but 400mm f5.6 prime is real nice with the 1.4xTC even though AF can be slow when using AI servo (continuous focus) mode.

Most of the bird shots on my web site are from these 2 lenses. Ihave 10D and now use 30D. I started with FZ1 and also have FZ5.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 4:27 PM   #15

One more thing, sony tele lenses seem quite expensive (at least looking at the MSRP).

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I am also from bay area and it is been a while since I went to Audubon Caynon Ranch. last time I was there, the egrets were too high up in the treese. I find rookery at palo alto baylands to be much better for shooting egrets.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 5:08 PM   #16

Hopefully that is just the standard MSRP crap and they will have similar markdown as all the other lenses seem to. I've been looking at various Sigma lenses that seem to provide excellent value for the money.

I certainly wouldn't mind going with the canon, but at this point outfitting myself with it is a bit out of my budget (body/lenses/memory/bag that will actually fit this stuff/misc crap) where as the sony combo falls into it.

I may just wait and save up money and then go try the sony out when it comes out next month and try to come up with some kind of final decision then.

As for the egrets, that is the only time I've been to the Audubon Canyon Ranch and the top viewing platform seemed to provide a really nice look down into the nests. It was a bit too far away for the fz30's 420mm, but the angle seemed good. I bet it depends on which trees the birds choose from year to year.

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
One more thing, sony tele lenses seem quite expensive (at least looking at the MSRP).

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I am also from bay area and it is been a while since I went to Audubon Caynon Ranch. last time I was there, the egrets were too high up in the treese. I find rookery at palo alto baylands to be much better for shooting egrets.
sagefool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 1:09 PM   #17

That is why I stated that somebody check the camera manual or get to use the actual camera. I don't think there is anything wrong with his warning. For me, I certainly don't want to be fumbling through the menus to change ISO, Aperture, or Shutter Speed.

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Webapprentice wrote:
Quote:

Old Jun 22, 2006, 2:18 PM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
That is why I stated that somebody check the camera manual or get to use the actual camera. I don't think there is anything wrong with his warning. For me, I certainly don't want to be fumbling through the menus to change ISO, Aperture, or Shutter Speed.
Just go through the review here to see the controls and menu screens.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_.../alpha100.html

If you're shooting in Aperture Priority, the control wheel in front of the shutter button changes your Aperture. If you're shooting in Shutter Priority Mode, the control wheel changes your Shutter Speed.

If you want to use Exposure Compensation, just press the +- key on the back while spinning the control wheel and watch the viewfinder scale to set it..

If you're shooting in Programmed Auto, the control wheel changes both Aperture and Shutter Speed at the same time (steping the user through availale aperture/shutter speed combinations for the way the camera is metering.

If you're shooting in Full Manual, a setup choice will let you control what the wheel changes (shutter speed or aperture) If you set it to Full Manual where Aperture is changing by default, all you have to do to change the shutter speed instead is press the +- key on the back of the camera at the same time with your right thumb, while spinning the control wheel using your right forefinger, all without taking your eye from the viewfinder.

As for ISO Speed, the KM 5D had a dedicated ISO speed button, and an entire mode dial dedicated to White Balance..

With the new Sony Alpha, they replaced the 5D's dedicated dial for white balance with one that saves one step going through menus in some cases.

So, you spin the dial to the desired function (ISO speed, etc.) instead of using an up/down arrow first to select it after pressing a function button for some things.

So, if you change ISO speed often, just leave it set to there. No big deal. This dial and button are on top and can be used with your left forefinger ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:54 PM   #19

JimC,
I didn't see this review yet. From the pictures and description, it looks like the important controls are all there and accessible. Thanks.

I stand corrected.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 1:30 PM   #20

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:

You can always get Minolta or 3rd party like Sigma....Used Minolta aren't cheap, but cheaper than the MSRP so far for most Sony....
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote