Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 15, 2006, 4:38 PM   #1
ble

I have been asked to choose a digital camera for my company. It will be mainly used for documenting failure analysis of small electronic packages. My main concern is cost and a good macro setting of the camera (flower mode). The camera can be any size, and I am trying to stay in 300 dollar budget. Any suggestions. Oh, pixels are not that important, the pics will go into documents, so 3-5 mega pixle is fine. Not making posters. Most camera ratings I see talk about Mega Pixels and zoom. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks B
ble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2006, 8:07 PM   #2

How small of items will you need to photographing?
StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 1:17 AM   #3
E.T

How big targets are exactly?

Also you propably don't want heavy distortion which would be very visible with targets in question. That's what common wide angle macro causes among other things like bad corner softness and lightning problem.
(for getting small area wide angle macro requires cramming lens to target's side)

I assume this is close to what you would need:

1600x1200
That's what tele macro of Minolta 7-serie and (Konica)Minolta A-serie would take.

Dpreview has very good macro test in review which shows amount of distortions and corner softness and size captured area is mentioned.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2006, 11:46 AM   #4
ble

Steve, looking at scratches and small impressions in metal housings, and traces that are about .015 inch wide. I used a Cannon Rebel XT with the standard lense and was satisfied, but don't have a budget or need for a camera of that quality/capability.Hoping I could get good macro and close ups with something in the 4 megapixel range or better and under $400. B
Old Jun 17, 2006, 11:50 AM   #5
ble

E.T. That looks good. Is there a quantitative number or some value I can look for that will tell me a camera will take a photo like this? I.E. if you say 12X zoom, I will know I have more zoom than a camera with 4X zoom. Is there a spec like that for macro, or do I have to look thru all the test result pictures and pick the one I like the most? Are the cameras you are describing SLR digital type? Trying to stay in a $400 or less budget and atleast 4 megapixles. B