Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 19, 2006, 6:22 PM   #1

i am looking for a new camera for baby pictures.* i am looking at the canon s2is, because i would like the longer zoom lens, but that camera is bigger.* should i look for a more compact camera that would be more portable in a purse, etc?**
ktbraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2006, 7:13 PM   #2

That's the kind of question only you can answer... how much does unobtrusive portability mean to you? If you want quality snapshots, there are a number of compact and ultracompact cameras that will do a good job. A camera that has an adjustable-position LCD screen is obviously good for taking pictures down at a small child's level.

ktbraun wrote:
Quote:
i am looking for a new camera for baby pictures.� i am looking at the canon s2is, because i would like the longer zoom lens, but that camera is bigger.� should i look for a more compact camera that would be more portable in a purse, etc?��
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 1:59 PM   #3

I think Panasonic's FX series have a mode called baby, which emfatizes the skin tones and has a feature that gives you the exact age of your baby if you set it up at the beggining.
Marco_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 9:59 AM   #4

Two of the biggest problems with good baby pictures (as I am finding out ) is 1) Low light: The baby hates flash; 2) speed: the baby is fast, wont hold a pose for more than 1 millisecond and the mood can change lightning fast.

I have found that a good dSLR works better. If you go with the S2 or any of the point and shoots, you would have to use the flash most often than not and that is very obstrusive to the baby. Go with a Nikon D50, or KM5d/7d or even Canon rebel 350. All of which are excellent low light cameras.

Finally all of the above dSLRs also have burst modes and exposure bracketing modes to take a series of pictures, one of which undoubtedly will be excellent.
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote