Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 20, 2006, 11:31 AM   #1

my son is looking to buy himself (so money is an issue) a new digital camera. He pretty much has his choices narrowed down to the Fuji s5200 or the Sony H2. We have been having a lot of discussion about the relative merits of IS vs better low light performance. He asked me to please post this up here and see if anyone could weigh in and offer him assistance with his decision. He wants a camera that takes good photos under a variety of conditions. He definitely does want the ultra zoom for the added flexibility they give. Can anyone help please?

Thanks, Peggy

pmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2006, 12:51 PM   #2

I have a couple of teenagers, and portability is the biggest consideration for them. If your son is like my kids, you might want to consider the Panasonic TZ-1. I have no personal experience with it, so can't say whether it's worth getting, but I do know that small is good for this age group. (I got my daughter a Casio Exilim which she still uses four years later and my son a Canon SD200, which he continues to use two years later). While neither of these have the zoom that you're looking for, they are both very easy to slip in your pocket and bring out if the occasion warrants -- but not be seen as a dork if it doesn't!

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 12:59 PM   #3

IS can work wonders expecially on superzoom cameras but I have never used either of these cameras. Why not consider the canon S2 IS, it fits the price range, it has 12X zoom and digital zoom for a total of 48X I believe (if you're into digital zoom) and IS plus a bunch of cool features and a roating screen. But if your stuck on one of those two I like the Fuji but then again I have never used either camera and I hear good stuff about the H2 also
badhabbit05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 1:10 PM   #4

I have had the Fuji S5200 for about 8 months. It is a superior lowlight digicam. It has a very short shutter lag. I used it instead of my Pentax *ist DS to photograph an end of quarter party at a college where I teach. With a flash, the Pentax would have taken better pictures. However, because of the relatively fast lens on the S5200 andthe fact that it take decent pictures at ISO's 400 and 800, and my not wanting to switch lenses during the party, I chose the S5200. You can go here to check the pictures:

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...20EOQ%20party/

If I were going to do mostly daylight shots, I might consider one of the other cameras. If I were going to do a lot of lowlight shots, I would pick the Fuji.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 5:30 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments. I think my son has pretty much decided on the Fuji s5200 but the local camera shop sure gave him a hard sell on the Canon S2IS (they said "we only sell REAL camera brands"). Although they lost all credibilty in our eyes because the salesman insisted that the s2is has a cmos sensor instead of ccd and that meant faster speeds and less image noise from heat! Needless to say I checked Canon's website as I didn't think it had a cmos, and I was right, it is a ccd. Also he (my son) found lots of comments on the web about the canon e18 error, and that put him off. He does still like the Sony H2 though. Tough decision! We are hoping for a good 4 th of July sale this weekend.

Peggy

pmanza is offline   Reply With Quote