Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 22, 2006, 2:51 AM   #1

hey all im new here, and let me tell u i am SO SO paranoid when it comes to picture quality and the noise level to the point that i bought an Olympus Stylus 700 (VERY nice exterior) for like $327 (including tax) but i returned it after 2 days simply because it had poor indoor performance with very noticable noise even at ISO set at minimum which was64...... and the best of all is that they charged me $45 bux for restocking fee (sears) so 327+45= $372 which i could of bought a $400 with it......

now im really torn apart between a sony dsc-w50 and the canon SD600 (all because of steves reviews lol...) and i cannot decide on which one to buy... nevermind the internal features, i care about image quality, noise level and how it would perform indoors especially...

thanks to all
Levon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2006, 3:27 AM   #2

if u worry about picture quality, i duno why you're looking at such compact digicams.. i, myself decided to go with the sony dsc-w50. looks good, and just good to take on the go. now im just wondering if it would go on sale near 4th of july.. :idea:
omGARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 3:31 AM   #3

well i wouldnt want a digital SLR or anything im just looking for a easy to carry (not an ultra compact thats for sure) camera with the most noiseless pictures... my friend hadan olympus mju 400 and it was like 4mp or so and i never ever noticed any noise and the quality was always perfect.. and thats an old model too... how come i cant find any nice cameras with picture quality now in 2006?
Old Jun 22, 2006, 9:25 PM   #4

I would go for the Canon, based on picture quality and those cheap SD cards. Sony uses the duo cards which are expensive like the olympus XD cards.
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 9:33 PM   #5

yaaaaa now i remember the MS duo shi#$y cards... i need to get me a canon.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 11:30 PM   #6

See if you can still get your hands on a Canon Powershot G5. I had quite a few cameras. That one took the best pics of all the digicams. However, low light shots could still be noisy. I also went through the Panasonics FZ20 and FZ30 Ultra zooms, which I both loved, but since you are paranoid about noise, they would probably feed your paranoia, although noise really is not even visible unless you go up to ISO400 and crop in closely. Now I have a DSLR (the Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D) and I am VERY happy, but you said you don't want to go DSLR. Here are another couple of options: the Fuji S5200 or S9000. They are known for very low noise and great image quality. And especially the S5200 with its 10x zoomis really a great bargain at $250 or less.

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 5:18 AM   #7

anymore recommendations? - i dont want the w-50 no more mainly cuz of its different storage format (ms duo) but what about other nikon's (similiar price tag)
Old Jun 25, 2006, 6:09 PM   #8

Here is another tip: The Fuji F10 or F11. Small, compact, and great image quality with low noise.

Here is a shot I took with my F11.

Attached Images

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote