Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 22, 2006, 10:46 AM   #1

Hi Guy's i am needing all your help and advice in choosing my next Camera

Right basicly i am replacing my old Fuji Finepix F601 for a newer model as i feel i'm not really happy with the F601 as it often blurs pictures & i don't think the quality is the greatest TBH and most of all it's too bulky/heavy for me

What i really want is a small compact Camera that takes good quality standard pictures (point and shoot etc) about 6m pixels but thats not essential.
The cameras i have listed are the ones listed on the site as best buys i have listed them kinda in preferance of order for that i was thinking but would like your opinion on it too
  1. The Coolpix S6 looks like a cool camera with some good features & it comes with a charging Cradle & has Wifi too so this is probably my prefered choice at the moment but i may be wrong as i know little about cameras if so please advise why ?[/*]
  2. Sony's W series namely the 50/70 and the 100 these all look like craking little cameras is the 50 smaller then the other two ? i like the camera & could afford to get the 100 but would i really need it ? what do you all think about these cameras bearing in mind size is important to me too
    [/*]
  3. the Casio EX-S600 looks like a nice camera & is again reviewed favourably in your site but i don't know why really bit i ust don't to be as smitten with this one but should i be & why ?
    [/*]
So to Recap i'm after a good quality point and shoot camera which i really want to be as compact as possible for about £260 Sterling i've picked a few from this site but are there others i should consider ? I'm really nervous after buying my F601 and not really being happy with it after it cost me £500 too so please all advice welcome & give your opinion please

Many thanks in advance
Piston Broke

Piston Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2006, 6:10 AM   #2

Right Despite all of your overwhelming Replies :roll: i decided to take matters into my own Hands & Go to a Camera Shop to view all the cameras's in question & have ruled out all the Sony's & EX-S600 but found a new problem when i saw the Panasonic Fx01 i was amazed by it's functions size & style so now i'm confused which one should i get the S6 or FX01 ? i'm pretty sure it's gonna be one of these two & i want to order it on monday so i'd appreciate your opinions PLEASE !!!

Old Jun 24, 2006, 9:33 PM   #3

funny, i considered the same cameras too -- i ended up buying the dsc-W50. I don't remember why I didn't choose the coolpix, maybe because of the price. I believe I read the quality isn't as good as the casio or sony.

So I was in a deadlock between the sony or casio. Then I checked both cameras out at Circuit City, and I didn't like the look and feel of the casio. Of course, it is THINNER, which caught my attention, but that's all there is to it. Plus I don't like the docking cradle, which would be very annoying to use every time because you'll have extra accessory on your desk, and it doesn't hold your camera very tight. Piece of crap, to me anyways.

A different casio caught my eye, almost the same dimensions as the s600, the z60 -- which looks a lot better to me because of the brushed metal. Quality wasn't as good. So I finally chose the Sony dsc-w50, because there wasn't anything about I didn't like, except that it's twice as wide as the Casio and that it looks a little clunky, but that's because of all the stickers on it. After the stickers are removed, it's a piece of masterpiece. I'm exaggerating. The sony just fit my style, plus it had brushed metal, i know i'm very shallow. And it's real easy to use and understand.

BUT, like in Reading Rainbow, you don't have to take my word for it, you should check out the cameras at a Circuit City near you. But it's kinda hard to actually have a feel for it because all the cameras are bulked up with security wires. And it feels bad to ask an employee to look at one out of the box -- with their gazing eyes, and your necessity to take a long time to study the digicam, you won't feel comfortable. Well, to me.. haha.. anyways, GOOD LUCK mr. BROKE!
omGARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 9:35 PM   #4

oh and if you do choose the S6, (everybody has their own tastes), I recommend the S5.. almost the same -- no WI-FI connection (who really needs that anyways) but a whole lot cheaper.
omGARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 10:16 AM   #5

Thanks for your reply Gary

In the end i don't think i'll go for the Sony as the Memory stick is more expensive as yuo can get 2Gb SD memory for about £30 i also looket at the T9 which is Tiny but for some reason it really didn't float my boat . So it really is down too the Panasonic FX01 or the S6 (the S5 only has a 2.5" Lcd as opposed to the 3" one on the S6) i've read a few favourable remarks about the FX01 on this site but theirs not too much about the S6 so i'm still really stuck on my decision the Z60 looks a a nice camera has anyone else got an opinion on theses 3 cameras or does anyone have one i'd appreciate peoples opinions but in general i think i'd prefer Panasonic Or Nikon over Casio

A couple of techy questions if someone could help :
  1. Does the Wireless S6 only connect to a wireless Laptop or can it connect to a machine through a Wifi Router ??[/*]
  2. How long have the FX01 & the S6 been available for sale ?
    [/*]
  3. Is the Anti Shake on the FX01 anygood
    [/*]
  4. What sort of Quality picture is the S6
    [/*]

Old Jun 28, 2006, 4:51 AM   #6

In the end i plumped for the Coolpix S6 as no one had anything to say about the FX01 so far i'm pretty impressed the pictures so far have been clear & colourful & not many Blurred piccy's so far i'm still a little concerned that the FX01 was a better camera but in the end it was the docking station that won it for me my only gripe about the S6 is probably that it doesn't feel as natural to hold than the FX01 did when taking pictures but then maybe thats just me and i'll get used to it over time the 3" LCD is awesome & i only took a short time to hook it up the wireless to my laptop all seemed ok i don't think you can hook it up to a wired PC on a wireless network !
Old Jun 28, 2006, 7:56 AM   #7

My first piccy with it