Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 23, 2006, 1:17 PM   #1

Hi all.

I have been passionate about photography for some years now, although i'm still certainly an amature with a lot to learn.

I have a Lumix DMC FZ20 and looking to upgrade to a DSLR. For the last week, I have been dreaming, eating, drinking, sleeping camera reviews! I was bouncing back and forth between the Canon Digital Rebel XT, Nikon D50, and Olympus E-500... And driving myself crazy in the process! lol Each camera had a drawback that I "think" I don't want and is a deal breaker.

Rebel - crappy kit lens, don't like the ergonomics, a little pricey.
D50 - No black and white shooting mode, limited features set
E-500 - bad low light performance, expensive and limited lenses

... Then I discovered the Pentax range of entry level DSLRs. I really like what I have been reading. The Pentax *ist DL was sounding really good to me but then I discovered the K100D for sale. Sounds great, but I can't find any reviews for it at all. I was wondering if anybody has any experience or knows of any reviews of the K100D? I'm liking the sound of the image stabalization!

I have a couple of questions regarding the K100:

1) I'm really attracted by the "bulb" setting that allows you to expose for as long as you want. How important/good feature is this? To my amature mind it seems a very good feature. I think the other cameras don't have this feature?

2) Another feature I'm impressed by is the ISO 3200. Again, to my amature mind this is a very good/important feature. So what do you think? Have I summed up the weaknessess and plus points correctly? Is this the camera fo rme?

Thanks in advance :-)

Blueberry Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2006, 2:00 PM   #2

Ooops. Sorry. :-)

I noticed the camera isn't out yet! ( 07/07/2006 )

Well... my questions still stand tho. I'll now add an additional one: Is it woth waiting around for the K100D to get the image stabalization and more 11 af area points or just go for the *ist DL ?

Thank you.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 2:22 PM   #3

I would wait for the K100D, if I was set on Pentax. I had considered getting a DL but found it a little too entry level for me.
Broncosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 3:02 PM   #4

Assuming that Pentax ships the K100D on time, and you aren't in a hurry to get a camera, I'd probably wait - it's not that much longer (couple of weeks?). And as soon as it comes out I would guess that some retailers will drop their price for the DL/DL2. By the way, I don't normally suggest waiting because you can take SO many pictures while you are waiting and there's always someone out there who is promising something better and greater. You could easily wait forever!

I own a DS and love it! As of right now, I have no plans to upgrade because the DS does everything I want. Just my opinion - the DS has 12 AF points but I almost always use the center one - just what I'm used to. So that feature wouldn't be worth waiting for. Panasonic's IS on the FZ30 didn't help me enough, so I'm not sure whether the Pentax system would be worth the extra cost (for me). For whatever reason I find I don't miss having IS at all on the DS and I've been much happier with my photos. I'd look at the initial reviews of the K100D and then decide if the extra features are worth the extra cost over the DL.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 6:17 PM   #5

Hi, I'm also interested in the new Pentax cameras andat this timeI'm waiting for the K series to come out.

I don't like this wait but.. what can we do..

Anyway I have a question and it is what is the difference between the *ist and the K110D? :?

I've been researching Pentax Specification pages but I couldn't find it.

The three models are listed at http://www.pentaxslr.com/bodies each has it own page with specs.

Yourhelp is appreciated.

Paul
PaulCa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:06 PM   #6

There are more autofocus points with the K110D and the software is supposed to be better. Since it is rumored that the K cameras will use a different sensor, that might make a difference. If you are not waiting for the anti-shake K100D, then buy the DL and enjoy it (I usually use center weighted and center focus anyway - that's what I'm used to).
Old Jun 24, 2006, 6:09 AM   #7

Thanks for the advice everybody.

The D50 has no black and white mode, is this really a weakness or do I just believe it to be one? I know I can create black & white in post processing, but to my mind it just isn't the same as the camera catching it at the moment of the shot. Am I right?

In general, what do you think of the D50 and the *ist D compared with each other?

Thanks for the help :-)
Old Jun 24, 2006, 11:20 AM   #8

I don't think the lack of a b&w mode would be a limitation at all, but then, I like playing with my pictures in Photoshop. I prefer having control of what I'm doing to the picture, even though that can get frustrating at times.

I prefer the Pentax because it is smaller, lighter and fits into my hands better. Just my opinion, but I couldn't find anything that compelled me to buy the Nikon over the Pentax (I've read elsewhere that they use the same sensor). For me, personally, there were several reasons to choose the Pentax - the size/weight (a biggy for me!)and the backwards compatibility with old lenses. Both will give you excellent pictures.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 12:17 PM   #9

Thanks for the advice and opinons.

What about the "bulb" mode on the Pentax cameras where you can get an exposure for as long as you like? I'm pretty sure the other cameras I have mentioned don't have that. Is my thinking correct that this is a pretty good thing to have? I have in my mind shots of frozen waterfalls, ocean surge, and star trails... although I guess I won't have the resolution to capture any stars.

Old Jun 24, 2006, 1:41 PM   #10

You have to use a remote for bulb mode since that is the only way to keep the shutter open for an unlimited amount of time.

I have looked at and used the Nikons (D70, D50) and there is nothing that made me wish I had not purchased my Pentax, and the viewfinder alone makes the Pentax the best of the bunch.

I found the Nikons focused much faster, but not always accurately in low light, but the Pentax dealt with highlights much better and rarely blew them out like the Nikons did on a regular basis if you shot in jpg.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote