Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 15, 2006, 4:52 PM   #21

Just an observation: Since moving from both the Fuji S-9000 and the FZ-30 to a DSLR, I have seen how much better the photos are, and the greatly added flexibility that a good DSLR camera can provide.

I don't see many posts from people leaving the DSLR ranks and returning to a Fuji S-9000 or a Panasonic FZ-30/40/or whaterever the future holds forP&S cameras.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 5:59 PM   #22

There is no doubt the D-SLR gives much better results... Same reason photographers use(d) medium and large format film instead of 35mm. But the size/weight of the equipment needs to be considered. The convenience of having all the lenses you need in one small package, the image stabilisation, it all fits in a small bag. Once you decide you are prepared to carry the bulk there is no going back. You will also be forever tempted to get better lenses, especially considering the reviews of the stock lenses that come with most D-SLRs.

And if you do walk around with a DSLR, a kit-bag and change lenses in public your friends and colleagueswill want you to take pictures at weddings and expect professional results! I create more delight by showing up with a CD/DVD slide show with **incidental** pictures I inconspicuously took!

Keeping this in mind,... the upgrade path will always be D-SLR, it is inevitable! But what will Panasonic think of to supersede the DMC-Z30??? I kind of hope fora larger sensor, the smaller zoom would be OK to keep size reasonable, and 8megapix suits me fine!
waltervp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 6:39 PM   #23

All in all, it isyour personal choice. I was not attempting to change your mind, just making an observation. BTW I went to a DSLR in 2000. So I am not somebaody who just made the change.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 10:35 PM   #24

waltervp wrote:
Quote:
Keeping this in mind,... the upgrade path will always be D-SLR, it is inevitable! But what will Panasonic think of to supersede the DMC-Z30??? I kind of hope fora larger sensor, the smaller zoom would be OK to keep size reasonable, and 8megapix suits me fine!
A larger sensor means a higher price and usually a larger canera. I think for those very two reasons manufacturers shy away from creating such a beast. They realize the average point and shooter doesn't want a big camera or a big price tag. Look at the price on the Sony R1... that is an expensive P&S and it's zoom range is not the greatest.

The price difference between P&S and DSLR is minimal right now. I have even seen cases where the DSLRs are lower, especially if you fact in a rebate or a closeout. I had purchased am FZ30 a few months ago and it was 485 as theloweset price from a reputable dealer. You can buy DSLRs in that range even without a rebate or special closeout. Of course, price isn't everything and a camera isn't worth much if you don't take it with you.

A few months ago I was convinced that an Ultrazoom was the camera of choice for me. I figured if itdidn't work out I could always sell it on EBay andpossibly break even or take a small loss. Well, I didn't have to wait that long. I knew right away that it just wouldn't cut it if I really wanted to get back intophotgraphy as a hobby. The FZ30 was horrible at an any ISO over 200. 200 wasn't great, in fact most claim 200 is awful, but I tolerated it. I have no clue why they bother with higher settings than 200 on that camera sinc it is so bad I consider it unusable. Lucky Iable to return it and I now own two DSLRs. There is just nocomparison.ISO 3200 on my Maxxumsis noisy,but no so bad that I can't use it.I wouldonly consider a P&S when it comes to needing one as a pocket camera.Just yesterday I purchased a FujiF30, mainly for my wife to use, but I may steal it when I just don't want to carry my KM 7D or 5D.

In all honesty, if you are in the market for an Ultrazoom because you like the range and don't want to change lenses, you best betisa smaller DSLR with a Tamron 28mm-300mm lens or other bargain zoom. On a digital camera it is apx. the 35mm equivalent of a 32-450mm zoom lens.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote