Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 26, 2006, 3:09 PM   #1

Hallo team,

I have to decide between these two Digital Cameras and I realy don't know which to choose. Panasonic is cheaper but in my opinion it is compare-able to Canon.

Can you help me to decide? Is there someone who has tested both?

Thanks in advance...

GPEL (Athens, Greece)
gpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2006, 7:20 PM   #2

You can find many reviews of these cameras at this and other sites. I would rate the camera's as comparable.

Sometimes what is good for one person is not good for another.I was looking for a single camera to do everything for me, and was seriously considering these two cameras. Ultimately I bought a dSLR and will buy a mini camera to achieve my goals, so I don't owneither of these two camera's, but Iseriously tried them out.

One of themajor differences between these cameras that I foundwas SIZE and WEIGHT.

The Canon is not that much bigger than than the Panny, but it is bigger, and just enough bigger than I could not consider the Canon to be pocketable in my jacket pocket.

The Panny is that wee bit smaller, but even more importantly, it is LIGHTER. A lot lighter. I could possibly carry the camera in my jacket pocket without worring about tipping in that direction as I walked.

The Canon is heavier due to 4 AA batteries and a lot more metal etc in the body. I would not down grade the Panny due to the plastic body, plastic is used in high end dSLR's, but the Panny does have a lot more plastic used in it's construction.

Other differences. I suffer from fat man fingers. I found the Canon to actually be more difficult to accomidate my hands and fingers versus the Panny.

If I was going to buy one of these cameras I would most likely have bought the Panny... lighter weight, better feel to the hand, and nearly jacket pocketable.

Just some other things to consider as you evalute these or any other cameras

StevieDgpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 4:34 PM   #3

I have been in this dilemma for weeks as well. Reading reviews and forums for hours. Made the decision to buy the s3. The shop adviced me to buy the fz7 which I did. Happy with the pics but still couldnt forget the s3, returned it and got the s3. Had it for 24 hours and went back to get the fz7 again. Yes I know....The price I paid was almost the same and I ended up with the fz7 happy. I dont think the s3 can compare. Pictures worse, bigger, smaller screen. A big disapointment going from the fz7 to the S3. Check out pbase.com for ordinery peoples pictures taking with the cameras.

benj0219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 5:38 PM   #4

Thank you both,

Here in Greece it is not easy to buy something and then go back to the shop to return it.

So I have to decide which one to buy. From your opinions, the revies and the sample pictures I downloaded these days I consider Panasonic as the best solution.

I'll try it by myself and I will tell you. :|
Old Jun 27, 2006, 5:57 PM   #5

Yes get the FZ7,, it does look like a good camera you might not want to take it past 200 ISO, but don't think the canon would be any better though.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 3:16 AM   #6

Yesterday evening I was talking to a friend of mine and he told me that he bought the SONY DSC-H5 a week before. I told him to bring it to my home in order to perform a "mini" test. I liked theindoor quality of pictures, with or without flash and Irealized that the Image Stabilizer does a perfect work. The ZOOM is unbelievable! considering that now I own a 4x zoom digicam.

What do you have to say for SONY? You can see that now I'm realy confused :?:??(AGAIN). Stay at Panasonic or reconsider new data and go to SONY?

Thanks.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 4:25 AM   #7

Looking at some of the images from the Sony H2/H5 on dpreview, I find it very impressive in both macro and low light,seems no problem at ISO400 which is not the case with the Panasonic.

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 5:43 AM   #8

U prefer SONY? :?
Old Jun 28, 2006, 1:39 PM   #9

The Sony H2 reviewhasjust been posted ondpreview, and this camera let alone the H5 which its review is due in a couple of days wins the best resolution test out of the Canon S3 and the Panny F7, the H5 should do even better again, the Carl Zeiss lens is a winner, the Canon came 2nd which is a suprise considering the Panasonic uses Leica lens.

Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:56 AM   #10

What has always kept me away from Sony cameras is their use of Memory Sticks instead of SD cards. Ditto for Olympus and Fuji with their xD cards. SD cards of all sizes seem so much less expensive than either memory sticks or xD cards or are the latter going down in price now? If so, I would consider the H2 or H5. Thanks.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote