Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 28, 2006, 1:49 PM   #1
RD

Hi!

I am looking for a small camera that I can carry in my purse for all those unexpected moments. I would like to stay at $250 and under. A co-worker has the HP R817-- Love the size and features--Not sure if it is the right camera for me. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Rachel
RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2006, 2:46 PM   #2

Can only offer opinion on two, both Fuji models. Daughter uses an A345 and has been very pleased for about a yr now, so my wife just got the newer A500 model. It's a 5MP camera, small enough for purse, uses easy to find AA batteries, though she has two sets of rechargeables from Powerex, and is easy to use. She has only taken about 35 shots so far, but has been pleased. Best of all, Fuji just recently dropped the prices for this and other cameras, so it can be had for under $150. We have 4 different Fuji cameras in our family, and believe they are good bang for the buck.
St.Barnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 5:40 PM   #3

Here's my opinion for what it's worth...When I was looking for a digital camera a while back I wanted one that was small, had an optical viewfinder AND a good-sized LCD screen. A lot of cameras leave off the optical viewfinder but if you find yourself outside in bright sun trying to frame an image on that dim screen that old viewfinder is nice to have. Plus, turning off the screen will make your batteries last longer. I also wanted an easy to use menu system, intuitive controls and I wanted the camera to use cheap, readily available AA batteries--not some proprietary battery pack. Finally, I wanted a camera that uses SD cards--they are cheap, plentiful, and I already had a couple that I use in my MP3 player. I ended up getting a Kodak Easyshare C360--it met all the criteria and has surpassed my expectations. It is really easy to use, but has some really advanced features available if you want to get creative. I saw that Best Buy has it this week for $179.

I would stay away from HP--love their printers, but I've heard their cameras are not that reliable and getting them repaired is difficult. Also I would stay away from cameras that use MemoryStick (Sony) and xD cards (Fuji and Olympus) since SD cards seem to be the way the industry is headed.

As I said this is my (biased) opinion--hope it helps!

James
junebug1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 4:13 PM   #4
RD

Thank you St. Barnard and Junebug for your opinions. I am going to look at the cameras this weekend and see which one I like best. I do already own an SD card from a previous camera. My mom has the Kodak Z740 and the colors on that are really good. Thanks again for your help!
RD is offline   Reply With Quote