Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 29, 2006, 9:21 PM   #1

What should I buy?

Most important are good pictures. Especially outdoors. Especially landscapes. With snow and lots of sky and tricky stuff like that. I like to climb mountains and would like to get decent pictures for one.

Next most imporatnt is size. I would love a TINY camera but I know tiny and great pics usually don't go together.

Cost is sort of a factor but I'd rather pay more for something that will make me happy than cheap out and never use it.

So what do you guys recommend?

Thanks! Jason
jasontb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2006, 9:23 PM   #2

Oh yeah, lots of features would be important too. Point and shoot cameras have always seemed to leave me with less than ideal pictures. I love options. Sometime the camera just isn't smart enough.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:42 PM   #3

You might take a look at the Panasonic FX01 because of the wide angle lens. It has true optical stabilization and a good Leica lens. The wide angle would be good for scenery.

You can do a lot with spot metering and/or EV shift referring to the histogram. I've always insisted on full manual everything for my pocket cameras, but I think I might drop that requirement next time round.

One thing that might not be too good is that it is following the trend to just use the LCD with no optical viewfinder. That could be a little difficult in very bright sun.

If you want the option of full manual everything the Casio Z850 is quite tiny. It has a good lens and a great control setup. It also has a small optical viewfinder.

I just hold the camera with the long side up and take three or four panorama shots to make up for not having a wide angle. Full manual controls or a panorama mode help for that. You end up with a 4:3 ratio shot equivalent to about 27mm with a 38mm equivalent lens when you do that. If you want to develop a 4 X 6 print you end up with a little wider angle than 27mm.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 2:58 AM   #4

How do the LX1 and FX1 compare? I see one has more pixels...but I'd image 6 MP is already enough? I see the lenses, though both Leica's, are not the same. Is the difference between them as big as the price difference seems to be?
Old Jul 1, 2006, 2:52 AM   #5

What about the FinePix F30?
Old Jul 5, 2006, 3:06 PM   #6

IMHO, The Fuji F-30 is an excellent camera choice. I have been very impressed with mine.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote