Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 1, 2006, 12:21 AM   #1

hi. i need help!
i'm looking for a second camera to take macro shots in low light / indoor environments and looking at the Rebel XT / Panasonic FZ30 / Fujifilm FinePix S5200.
i am not set on those models but after extensive research, finally narrowed it down(LOL)
however, the more i read, the more confused i get....
can anyone offer any sort of advice or recommendations?

i will not be blowing up the images but need a camera that will take great macro shots (well great as in the images aren't blurred) in low lighting without a tripod.
i'm wondering how much noise is a factor when my images will only be 640 x 480 at the largest.

thanks in advance!
monamacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2006, 8:06 AM   #2

For shooting macro's, a tripod is almost a necessity. DOF is paper thin at close distances, and even the slightest bit of camera shake will lead to blurring.

In terms of low light performance, a DSLR with a bright prime is hard to beat.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 10:02 AM   #3

monamacro, those 3 choices of yours are really different from one another. I wonder how you came down to those 3 picks...
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 12:13 PM   #4

rjseeney, thank you for your response =D

zygh,
thank you for your response.
when i first started searching, image stabilization was my main concern since a lot of my current macro photos come out slightly blurred. as i did more research (obviously i'm a camera novice =p) i started learning more about ISO, shutter speed, aperture control, etc., to prevent underexposure in low light settings.
with that said, i'm not looking for the camera to do all the work for me but one that will assist me? since my unsturdy hands are useless LOL.
i also downloaded sample photos from a digital camera review site, and resized them to see if the noise will show up in web sizes... needless to say, since friday, my first choice is the 305D but i'm still not sure if i need such an advanced camera for my needs.
i also looked at the fuji F30 but the camera is just too small!

i'm less confused than i was on friday, but still undecided on which camera is the best for me.
any other advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!
monamacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 2:25 PM   #5

monamacro,I don't want to set you off course or anything, but there are lots of other dSLRs that come cheaper and do just as good of a job as the 350D from Canon. I, for one, have the Nikon D50 and for a few hundred dollars less than you pay for the Canon, you can get Nikon, Pentax and Konica Minolta. For instance if you can still find a K-M 5D or 7D, they have in-body stabilization and you can find lots of cheap lenses to do the best job. Don't be too hasty, Canons are great but they also charge a lot for the lenses.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 5:37 PM   #6

zygh is correct. Monamacro might do better with a simpler, less costly solution to this problem such as a Panasonic TZ-1, a Fuji F-30 (this camera has really good low light capabilities), or a Fuji E-900. All of those cameras can be purchased on the internet for $350 and less.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 6:22 PM   #7

Pentax is having rebates for up to 100$ per product for its ist DL dSLR and lenses. Check it out on the news section at Steve's Digicams. I'm sure you can get a better deal there than with a Canon dSLR.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 7:18 PM   #8

Just my 2 cents, but I don't think the FZ30 would be the right camera for you - it can take good pictures in low light only if you can keep the ISO down to 100, which would mean a long shutter time and a tripod, otherwise the noise is noticeable even when you reduce the size.

Since low light and macro are primary concerns, I'd go with a dSLR and a bright prime along with a macro lens, as previously suggested. I think that the Pentax DL with the rebate is an excellent deal - certainly less expensive than the Canon XT. Just my opinion based solely on my experience with owning an FZ30 for a month, but the IS system on it didn't make much difference to me. If you get the Canon, you'd have to buy a lens with IS, and I've heard they are expensive (a better choice might be trying to find a KM dSLR if you can, because the IS is built into the camera, not the lenses). Or wait until the Pentax K100D ships - itwill have IS built into the camera also.

I have a Pentax DS and use 1.4 or 2.8 lenses for low light without much problem. For macro pictures I use the onboard flash with a macro lens and f22 most of the time - the DOF at macro distances is small which means taking advantage of a faster lens difficult unless your subject is flat.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote