Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 6, 2006, 9:29 AM   #11

Usually you those cameras dont do well in higher ISO settings. It seems like a freak of nature for a subcompact. Could it still take non-blurry pics on kids moving indoors? Maybe, maybe not, but I've never seen the guy from dcresource really like a fuji that well.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 10:32 AM   #12

Kalel-

Actually the professional review at: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fi...ew/index.shtml is very positive, enthusiastic, and laudatory. Yes, for sure this is a point and shoot camera, it is not a DSLR camera, as JimC has so accuarately pointed out. It does suffer from measurably reduced aperture when fully zoomed, but it has asignificantly lower noise signature atISO 800, and 1600. ISO 3200 gets dicey and IMHO is only suitable for small prints.

However, for a P&S to produce excellent, virtually noise free,photos at ISO 1600 indicates a rather capable P&S camera. The Fuji F-30 also produces very sharp images ans is very capable of good night photos as well. All in all it is an interesting digital camera. I purchaseda F-30on that basis and only received it yesterday.

It will take a few days to get used to the F-30, and I will then be able to provide more samples for the forum.

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 10:37 AM   #13

MT,

According to the information here it sounds like it's a good step forward but still falls short of the "The low light level capable digital camera that can stop action indoors is here" claim. F5 isn't fast enough even if ISO 3200 is clean.

Again, it sounds like it's a better low-light performer than it's competition but still not a low-light action camera (but getting closer).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 10:42 AM   #14

John-

You are indeed quite correct. The Fuji F-30 will never replace a Canon 20D when shooting at an indoor basketball game. Instead, it is an interesting step forward that further extends the capability of traditional P&S digital cameras.

MT
Old Jul 7, 2006, 3:13 AM   #15

By the way, the reason I said I sell cameras part time wasn't to show my expertise in cameras but to know how customers feel on different cameras. I see in alot of other forums where people are asking for a subcompact and get suggestions for a much bigger camera. Size is definitely the priority for these people and will not budge for anything larger. That's most of the time and not necessarily all the time. I would love for some of the people to buy an A620 when I know it's what they're looking for in quality, but they want that same performance in a subcompact.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 10:35 AM   #16

From Pricegrabber.com -

Fuji F30 best price $312

Pentax *ist DL dSLR - $367 with lens after $100 rebate.

The Fuji is cheaper (much cheaper out the door), but the rebate puts the dSLR in the same range. I'd say get the Pentax, put it in Auto, and shoot away. I think you'll come closer to getting those candid kid shots with the dSLR, and if you want, you'll have room to grow with the photo hobby.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 11:00 AM   #17

rfortson wrote:
Quote:
From Pricegrabber.com -

Fuji F30 best price $312

Pentax *ist DL dSLR - $367 with lens after $100 rebate.

The Fuji is cheaper (much cheaper out the door), but the rebate puts the dSLR in the same range. I'd say get the Pentax, put it in Auto, and shoot away. I think you'll come closer to getting those candid kid shots with the dSLR, and if you want, you'll have room to grow with the photo hobby.

Russ
You can buy it the fuji for 314 at Buydig and there is a 50 dollar rebate. That means There is a fifty dollar rebate which brings it down to 264. I am providing that information to not compare with the Pantax deal, but just as information for anyone that might want to buy the Fuji.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:08 PM   #18

Any reasons for keeping flash off?

Even with my 30D and 50mm f1.8 lens, I use flash and ISO400 at f2.8 for indoor shots. Why people so much against the flash. It won't give the best pictures but neither will be the dinky p&s.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 1:05 PM   #19

Bobby,

I agree with you when you're talking about a DSLR - especially with external flash where you get more coverage, can bounce and have better recycle times than on a digicam flash. I also use a flash for my indoors / non sports pictures. But there are times when flash is not practical.

Graduation shot from balcony some 60' away:

When natural lighting is preferred for mood (and where you don't want to freeze action):

And, of course, where flash is not allowed or you don't want to wait for recycle times:

But you are 100% correct in that flash is not a bad thing - especially with group photos - you can't take a picture of several people with a 1.8 aperture and expect them to all be in focus. Try this shot at 1.8:

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 1:14 PM   #20

Those are wonderful photos, John. Congratulations!

Like it or not any DSLR is going to take a better photo than your average P&S camera. Likewise, when you are able to use a flash plus a DSLR your chances get a good deal better in the "saver" department.

Yes, we would all like a small easily pocketable camera that could do as well, but those cameras do not currently exist.

Thanks for the wakeup call. Noiw I must get back to my DSLR.

MT