Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 3, 2006, 2:04 AM   #1

I've asked some questions here before. I do most of my shooting at home, with a tripod, of the 9 month olds. However at the time I went shopping for a camera I wasn't thinking of features and adjustability, and decided I wanted one that offered me portability. So I picked a Canon Elph SD-400. A great pocket camera.

Now, to be fair, on a bright day with the light streaming indoors and the flash off and tripod fixed... I can get some nice shots if I do two things:
1) Turn off the flash (obviously)
2) Leave the camera in AUTO mode

The problem is, if I take 50 shots of the kids...45 of them turn out blurry because the kids love to move.

I've tried adjusting the ISO on the camera, but anything more than the standard setting just results in grain. So I've been stuck going through 40 blurry shots to get the handfull of keepers. When some of those blurred shots would have been *PERFECT*.

So I have begun to realize that the camera I bought and the camera I need are not one in the same, and if I want great shots of the kids I'm going to need to upgrade my little 1/2 year old SD-400.

Question 1: Can I get what I am after (being able to take non-blurred shots of the kids with the flash OFF even if they move a little bit in a POCKET SIZE camera? Or do I need to step up to a DSLR to get that ability.

Question 2: In terms of dollars, how much am I going to have to spend to get this ability..and do these cameras have settings for Novices, or am I going to have to take a course

I've tried adjusting the shutter speed on the SD400...that just makes the pictures unbelievably dark (even in seemingly bright daylight), I've tried bumping the ISO up....and that just makes the pics so grainy as to be unusable.

I read a review online that said the graininess from this camera was higher than most when the ISO numbers were bumped up.

Do they make a small pocket-sized camera that will allow me to reduce the shutter speed, bump up the ISO a bit and get a better chance at a non-blurred picture if my subjects moves WITHOUT getting a grainy, noisy mess?

..help appreciated...

Thx.

PS: I'm no photographer....I've snapped some nice pics, mind you, but I'm not an ISO/Light Meter type of guy....I basically just get in the mood to snap pics of the kids and I go at it for 10 or 15 minutes when the light is right.

HeadRusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2006, 2:20 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I was in the same position a couple of years ago.

Shooting kids indoors without flash needs high ISO.

Get a DSLR, the entry-level models now are really not that expensive, and in Auto mode are no harder to use than the small cameras.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 3:28 AM   #3

Anyone else read the headline and think for a second that he wasn't talking about cameras?
Clashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 4:47 PM   #4

Why not take a look at either the Fuji F-10 or F-30 that both have high ISO capability. It would be a less costly solution thanthe cheapest consumerDSLR camera.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 8:49 AM   #5

...:lol:

Clashman wrote:
Quote:
Anyone else read the headline and think for a second that he wasn't talking about cameras?
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 8:52 PM   #6

I sell cameras for my part time job and you need to understand a few things. The others are telling you correct, but your looking for a different answer. I get alot of people who come in and want exactly what you're looking for: small and compact, good in low light, and no blurring. Sorry, it's not going to happen. Those small lenses do not allow enough light in them to give fast enough shutter speeds in low light. My suggestion would be to deal with what you have and maybe thinking about getting a second camera for situations. I carry two cameras and works out great. I know it's not what you want to hear, but you're not going to find another subcompact that will perform good in low light or indoors with moving objects.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:16 PM   #7

kalel-

I disagree with you. The low light level capable digital camera that can stop action indoors is here, and already on the market. It is the Fuji F-30.

You might also ask what are my qualifications, in as much as you also have some experience because you have a part time job selling cameras. I have written three books on digital cameras and I conduct digital camera workshops all over the world. So yes, I know a good deal about digital cameras too.

Here is an example photo. Check out all the samples on the www.dpreview.com Fuji Forum, I think that you will be quite surprised. The F-30 can use ISO settings up to and including ISO 3200, allowing it to take hand held night photos. It is a remarkable camera!

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 7:17 AM   #8

MT,

I'm a bit intrigued by the F-30. But, in fairness, a close-up portrait is always going to look a lot better than an action shot - less noise for sure, and of course it always helps when your subject isn't moving. Any examples of the camera's performance at ISO 3200 w/o flash on moving subjects indoors? Not even talking sports here, just kids playing around as per the OPs situation.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 7:42 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Does anyone actually have an F30 yet?

I've seen no reviews. DPReview forums are not an even vaguely credible source of info IMO. Too many liars and lunatics mixed in with the few people who have a clue.

At any rate, for me the advantage of having nice pictures of my little one is worth far more than the extra few quid to get a DSLR over the P&S.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 7:46 AM   #10
Administrator

Steve hasn't finished one yet. But, Jeff has a review over at dcresource.com now.

In addition to his night shots (which, IMO, really don't tell you much about a camera), he's got some crops of an inside scene further down on the review page. Of course, he's using two 600w Quartz lamps for lighting (much better lighting than you'd have in a typical home interior). ;-)

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu...ew/index.shtml

In any event, it's a much cleaner output than you'd get from other non-DSLR models.

As for moving kids indoors without a flash, even a DSLR with a bright prime can have troubles in typical home lighting at times. Also, the lens on the Fuji drops off to f/5 on it's long end (typical for a subcompact model). So, you begin to lose the advantanges of higher ISO speeds if you zoom in much compared to a DSLR with a brighter lens, even if the Fuji's noise levels were comparable.

You probably don't want to use the ISO 3200 except in emergencies (although it's better than you'd expect from a camera like this). In Jeff's opinion, it's not really usable (although for web size snapshots it could work in a pinch based on some images I've seen posted from it).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote