Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 3, 2006, 12:29 PM   #1

As my choices listed above im simply looking for ease of use, quality of photo, flexibility of range, price point, and versatility in light.

Which should I choose for my best bang for buck.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30

Samsung Pro815

Canon RebelXT [350D]

Nikon D50/D70

Please help as I am eager to buy but havent had too much comparative opinions, only really one sided views that continually sway me toward1 of the 4 back anf forth.

Thanks all.
Malakei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2006, 12:30 PM   #2

As my choices listed above im simply looking for ease of use, quality of photo, flexibility of range, price point, and versatility in light.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30

Samsung Pro815

Canon RebelXT [350D]

Nikon D50/D70

Please help as I am eager to buy but havent had too much comparative opinions, only really one sided views that continually sway me toward1 of the 4 back anf forth.

Thanks all.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 12:30 PM   #3

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30

Samsung Pro815

Canon RebelXT [350D]

Nikon D50/D70

Thanks all.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 12:32 PM   #4

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30

Samsung Pro815

Canon RebelXT [350D]

Nikon D50/D70

Thanks all.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 3:04 PM   #5

It's hard to answer your question usefully without knowing what kind of photos you take. Do you take portraits, landscapes, wildlife, night scenes,etc.? Do you shoot mostly in automatic modes or do you shoot manually? Do you have a rough idea of what your budget will be? Will you have money down the road for additional lenses?

If you answer questions like these you may get some useful advice. Also, if you post your question and the answers to mine in the "What Camera Should I Buy?" forum you'll probably get some help.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 3:30 PM   #6

I only have the FZ20 but I do know, the Samsung Pro815 does not have imagestablizer, making the big zoom almost usless to most people for hand held, quick shots.

The FZ30 you have a lot of lens for the money. I personally would not go with DSLR becauseyou willneed to spenda lot of $'s for extra lenses just toget the range the FZ30 already has. Not counting the convenience of the FZ30 and ability to get the quick shot from 36-432mm. Sure there is a little noise, butyou can clean that up in no time if it bothers you.

That's just my opinion, for what ever that is worth.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 3:43 PM   #7
TC3

Had the Canon....went back as i did not like how it felt in my hands. Friend just got the D50.....has a really nice pro feel to it and would be what i would choose if i was in the market for a camera right now. I also like the pictures it produces more than that of the Canon
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 6:53 PM   #8

I can't comment on the quality of each respective camera, but can about the main feature of each style. I have a Coolpix 8800 and value the "one package has all" nature of it. It's very nice to be able to take a long range zoom shot and then a macro flower shot with the same compact camera. I appreciate that a dslr may be better in some instances, but if you haven't got it with you because you don't want a camera and bag of lenses to haul around, you don't get the shot. I find my Nikon far exceeds my initial expectations and would presume some of the newer models would be similar. If you walk a lot and shoot a lot, as I do, and don't like a lot of "stuff" to carry, the choices are fewer than your four. If price and bulk aren't a factor, the DSLR route may be better. If price is absolutely no factor, I'd buy a dslr and an ultra thin, high MPmodel to always have in my pocket for those unexpected shots. I have found that 8MP, as in my Nikon, allows a lot of chances to edit without ruining the quality of the shot.

Good luck ! My neighbour just bought a Canon S3 IS and I think that looks like a pretty good camera for half what I paid for mine.

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 10:04 PM   #9

Well, I was thinking of buying this camera essentially for vacation shots that I wanna capture the best and widest variety of pictures. Im thinking more now that the dslr LIKE cameras are more my route with the built in lense. The dslr from what I understand from most of my responses now and research, may require several hundreds of dollars worth of lenses before you really unleash the true quality while you sort of have the out of the box quality you want with the lumix and pro815. Im leaning more towards those two now for that reason. I appreciate the help guys as well as pointing out what camera should i buy, i must have went passed that forum cuz i was looking for it at first when i joined.

thanks again any more comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 10:10 PM   #10

Choices are listed above:

Canon RebelXT

Nikon D50/70

Panasonic Lumix FZ30

Samsung Pro815

Ive heard good things and bad things about them all but really dont know which one fits me best. Ive now seen them all and felt them in my hands except the rebel. I find the Lumix feels a bit plasticy but i can deal with it if its what i should buy.

Mainly buying this camera for vacation photos and good memories photos that i want the best quality i can get for my money but versatility without much baggage would be nice which has caused me to lean more towards the dslr-like two. Mainly i wanna find out the downfalls of buying one over the other. Any major features one camera has which another doesnt. Any noise problems or artifact or quality issues with any of the cameras. Convienence issues or benefits. I have SD cards already but will buy CF if necessary they are pretty cheap online nowadays so thats not really an issue.

Im really just hoping that perhaps someone has had a couple of these and can help narrow out some of the ones in my list.

Thanks allot for all who comment