Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 4, 2006, 8:53 AM   #1

My teenage daughter hasgot into photography in a big way over the last 8 - 9 months following her purchase of a little Samsung Digimax p&s camera. She certainly has talent in terms of her compositions etc, but of course is now coming up against the limitations inherent in her very simple camera and wants something that will give her a great deal more control, flexibility and scope to be creative.

She now aspires to the ownership of a Nikon D50. No bad thing I'm sure, but I feel that it might be a rather steep learning curve for herbearing in mind that she has had no experience of using a camera withany form of manual controls. She has borrowed my Canon A610 but being "Dad's Camera" she has not made extensive use of it and I feel that she would be better suited toa compact camera with lots of manual options to learn about the use of aperture and shutter priority, DOF, ISO values etc.

I did suggest to her that she should consider a Canon like mine but of course to suggest to her teenage sensibilities that she should have something in common with Dad is tantamount to heresy.

She does like the Canon S2/S3 but of course that's getting into the price range of the Nikon D50.

Are there any "realistic" suggestions for compacts that might suit her needs, bearing in mind that I've already suggested a number of options such as Nikon Coolpix and Sony compacts only to have these dismissed out of hand as being totally unstylish. (Remember she's a teenager!)?

ron519098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2006, 9:04 AM   #2

ron-

'Just an idea, but perhaps a Fuji E-900 would get her creative juices flowing. It has a stylish appearance, a full suite of manual controls, as well as 9 mp. I own one and it is quite a capable camera.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:30 AM   #3

Any discounts being offered on Canon S2 or Sony H1 since they've now been superceded by newer models?

Does she dig the swivel LCD of your A610? If she does, maybe you could get her an A620 - might make her feel "superior"...
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:42 AM   #4

MT

Thanks for the suggestion. The Fuji is pretty much in the price range of the A620 so might be a candidate.

flippedgazelle

Yes, I know and I did suggest the A620 to her, however "its just too similar toDad's camera". What we have here is female teenage logic over-ruling rationality.I think its sometimes called stupidity.

ron519098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 2:56 PM   #5

I'd say that handling a DSLR is not as difficult as constructing an engine. The point is that you shouldn't underestimate your daughter's capabilities in learning. Maybe she will learn using a DSLR in a week or so. I'd say, if she's fast in learning things that she likes, get her that D50!
Verloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 3:36 PM   #6
Administrator

ron519098 wrote:
Quote:
She now aspires to the ownership of a Nikon D50. No bad thing I'm sure, but I feel that it might be a rather steep learning curve for herbearing in mind that she has had no experience of using a camera withany form of manual controls.
I would not underestimate the potential for a teenager to learn quickly. My first "serious" camera was a Canon Rangefinder with no built in metering at all.

In no time flat, I was spending time in the bathroom doing contact prints from B&W film (and I wasn't even a teenager yet at the time).

Check out a book at the local library on basic photography and before you know it, your daughter will have a better understanding of exposure than most of us do (and the same concepts that apply to film will also apply to digital). If she's got a good eye for composition, the rest will fall into place (and there are far worse things a teenager could spend their time doing).

With a modern camera, you can turn the mode dial to Auto while learning and have metering and autofocus, too.

If budget permits, I'd probably accomodate her.

You can get some pretty good deals on entry level DSLR models anymore. For example, a Pentax *st DL (which uses a Sony 6MP sensor as does the Nikon D50):

Pentax *st DL DSLR kit at Buydig.com

or, for a little more, you could go with a factory reconditioned Nikon D50 with a kit lens:

http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/prod...ku=NKD501855RB

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 3:57 PM   #7

Pentax now has a $100 rebate on the DL.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 6:19 PM   #8

I think Jim hit the nail on the head. If you buy her a "in-between" camera before jumping into the DSLR pool, you will just be pouring money into something that limits her now (& you'll end up buying a DSLR anyway later). I'd put the money into a decent DSLR now...why spend it twice?
Old Jul 4, 2006, 7:00 PM   #9

Allowed me - Kalypso :
AMEN!
My teenage son also went through the same situation, and thanks God
that I can afford to get him the Nikon D70. After just over 2 yrs, he then
wanted the Canon 20D and I was "lucky" to sell the D70 and get the "best"
camera (in 2005 time). Of course, his skill is now way more advance than
his dad! (and he made some $$$ too).
So, go ahead Ron5xxxx, "spoil" your daughter rotten will you?
HAH!HAH!HAH!!!
Quanvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 8:25 PM   #10
Log

well i myself had mostly experience in the ps field, then yesterday i splurged and bought myself a nikon d50... parents tend to underestimate us teenagers when it comes to learning what we enjoy to do... they are alittle expensive and im sure if my parents could have afoorded it they would have bought me one... but i just got it myself... i got it yesterday and am already in love! best purchase i have ever made!

Logan

P.S. I'm 15 so i do have an idea what its like to be a teenager on a mission to develpo their passion further than a P&S
Log is offline   Reply With Quote