Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:53 AM   #11

thelmuffinman32 wrote:
Quote:
So guys, let's hear your opinions. I'm either going to get a D50, Rebel, or the 7D. YOu guys say the 7d is a great deal and I beive you but will it be good for me to learn on?
The 7D is in a class above the Rebel or D50 (which are entry-level DSLR's). Many more features & anti-shake in every lens you put on it. Look at Steves list of "Best Cameras":
http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

Old Jul 5, 2006, 11:01 AM   #12
rey

Quote:
So guys, let's hear your opinions. I'm either going to get a D50, Rebel, or the 7D. YOu guys say the 7d is a great deal and I beive you but will it be good for me to learn on?
I think Nikon users will tell you the D50 is a nice camera, Canon folks will say the same about their camera, and KM users with KM, etc... So in the end you decide what's best for you. Be sure to look at lenses as well, not just immediate cost of the body. The body becomes obsolete in a few years, while lenses you keep for much longer.

Make sure you buy it from a legit store though, use resellerratings.com to check an online store's rating. If the price is too good, chances are you're getting ripped off.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 11:35 AM   #13

After reading what the people who have replied here had to say and Steve's best cameras, I've decided to go with the 7d. I chose the 7d because of it's many features compared to the other two for the money. As I am a quick learner, I hope to learn to use most if not all of the features of this camera. Thanks to everybody who has helped me by answering my questions and suggesting the 7d.
thelmuffinman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 3:29 PM   #14

I retract my previous statement. I would feel alot more comfortable on invesing my money into a camera whose company is not going to stop making cameras. When I visited Konica Minolta's site a few minutes ago, I read a statement that said they stopped making cameras. You guys say when you buy a camera your stuck with that company because of the money spent on lenses. Well what if I wanted to upgrade later on down the road?
Old Jul 5, 2006, 3:56 PM   #15

Sony has bought out Minoltas camera business & will continue to make lenses & cameras utilizing Minolta technology. They already have the Alpha soon to be out (but the 7d still has it beat on features & is cheaper too)!
Old Jul 8, 2006, 7:28 AM   #16

What are my options as far as storage goes with the 7d?
Old Jul 8, 2006, 8:39 AM   #17

On Konica's 7D website it says "This product has been discontinued", how does that pertain to buying this camera?
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 10:24 AM   #18

The "discontinued" referrs to the fact that actual production of the KM 5D and 7D has stopped. However, there still is inventory on the dealers shelves around the world. They are allowed to sell of that inventory and Sony, under the terms of their agreement, will provide customer support and warranty service.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 11:35 AM   #19
E.T

thelmuffinman32 wrote:
Quote:
What are my options as far as storage goes with the 7d?
Compact Flash (CF), biggest capacity cards are available in it and with very affordable prices.
Also it's technically above others card types and will be still around when just released SDHC has been forgotten. ("High Capacity", sure... limited to 32GB while CF went straight for 137GB limit twelve years ago)

Here's writing speed with different cards.
http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/cfcard/index.asp?cam=7D
Big Transcend 120x cards are very affordable. (~half of Sandisk Extreme III)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 11:58 PM   #20

thelmuffinman32 wrote:
Quote:
After reading what the people who have replied here had to say and Steve's best cameras, I've decided to go with the 7d. I chose the 7d because of it's many features compared to the other two for the money. As I am a quick learner, I hope to learn to use most if not all of the features of this camera. Thanks to everybody who has helped me by answering my questions and suggesting the 7d.
Many of us have purchased 7D and 5D cameras since the KM/Sony announcement. In fact I own both because after purchasing the 7D, I got a closeout on a display model 5D from circuit city for 269 with a lens. The reason I got it so cheap was it had no accessories and I don't need them because it uses the same accessories as the 7D.Others have gotten display models with accessories for around 360 and up. If you check circuit city, you may even find one brand new for 450-492, but they are scarce. Walmart had the 7D for 699, but if you want a KM don't wait.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote