Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 4, 2006, 6:13 PM   #1

Well, let me first start off by saying that this is my first post and definately not my last. I'm looking into buying an entry level digital slr. Specifically I'm thinking about purchasing the digital (obviously) Canon Rebel. I take pictures of everything from bmx to mountan top views which different lenses will be able to accomidate that. I'm wondering what you guys feel about the Rebel and if you think it is good for me. If you have any other suggestions then feel free to let me know! Thanks for helping me decide!

-Alex
thelmuffinman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2006, 7:12 PM   #2

thelmuffinman32 wrote:
Quote:
Well, let me first start off by saying that this is my first post and definately not my last. I'm looking into buying an entry level digital slr. Specifically I'm thinking about purchasing the digital (obviously) Canon Rebel. I take pictures of everything from bmx to mountan top views which different lenses will be able to accomidate that. I'm wondering what you guys feel about the Rebel and if you think it is good for me. If you have any other suggestions then feel free to let me know! Thanks for helping me decide!

-Alex
What is your experience with Digital Cameras before now? And, are you asking a question when you say "I take pictures of everything from bmx to mountan top views which different lenses will be able to accomidate that"? You will spend way more in lenses, memory & accessories than the the cost of just the camera.

Whether the Rebel is good for you depends on many things...your knowledge of photography in general, do you want Image Stabilization (& can afford the lenses that have it), do you understand aperture & shutter speed relationships, exposure, depth of field, etc?
Old Jul 4, 2006, 7:36 PM   #3

All of the entry level dSLRs are capable of taking outstanding photos.

You mentioned nountain top views. The main drawback I found with the Canon Rebel is its size and weight. I'm a hiker and chose a Pentax *ist because it is smaller and lighter than the Canon. If weight is an issue, take a look at the Pentax*ist DL (or theupcoming K100D, not yetshipped)also.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 7:59 PM   #4

Weight is not an issue. I don't have an insane amount of knowledge about cmaras, yet. I bought my girlfriend a Sony T7 for her birthday and taught myself how to use that from differents forums and articles off the internet and then taught her. Originally I was going to purchase a T7 as well but I feel alot better with being able change lenses and add different accessories to suit the many different oppritunities I experience. A few of my close buddies also have dslr's and my sister is a photographer for AOL. Learning won't be a problem as I have many sources and am taking a photography class in school next year. As for the lenses, I'm not exactly asking which ones will suit me, yet.

-Alex
Old Jul 4, 2006, 9:59 PM   #5

Ok, so I've found a place where I can get the Rebel and an EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 lens for 650 bucks, is this a good deal? Is this lens a good all around first lens? I'm not too sure if this is possible but I don't my first lens to be for any specific thing. Please don't flame as obiously I'm new to this but very excited and motivated to learn. Thanks for all help so far!
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:11 PM   #6

You can also get a Konica Minolta 7D with the 18-80 kit lens from Wal Mart right now for $699.00. Many more "professional" features for about 1/2 it's original price (including anti-shake on every lens you ever buy)....
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:48 PM   #7

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
You can also get a Konica Minolta 7D with the 18-80 kit lens from Wal Mart right now for $699.00. Many more "professional" features for about 1/2 it's original price (including anti-shake on every lens you ever buy)....
See what I want is a good camera that will be good to learn with yet be an awesome camera with great quality. Honestly, I don't even know what the numbers mean yet and I can't really search the internet too well as I'm on vacation in Maine and I'm using my phone for all this. Hopefully once I return from my trip I will get a better understanding of what I'm looking for, what I want, and what I need. By the way, does anyone know of a site woth like a faq on cameras so I don't waste all of your time with my noob questions? Thank you.

-Alex
Old Jul 5, 2006, 8:34 AM   #8

A friend of mine suggested I get a Nikon D50. Is this a good learning camera? I really want to hear what you guys think my first dslr should be.

-Alex
Old Jul 5, 2006, 9:40 AM   #9

Kalypso is so right about KM 7D. Awesome camera, awesome price...I'd get one myself for that price
Verloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:19 AM   #10

So guys, let's hear your opinions. I'm either going to get a D50, Rebel, or the 7D. YOu guys say the 7d is a great deal and I beive you but will it be good for me to learn on?