Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 5, 2006, 4:55 PM   #1

Hi,

I have a Canon 35mm Rebel and 3 canon lenses for it. I purchased these in 1996.

Does it make sense for me to choose a Canon Digital Rebel?

I was considering the Digital Rebel XT 8 megapixel

If so...

Will the 10 year old canon lenses be compatible with it?

Should I buy a new "digital" lens when buying a body?

Can those be used on my 35mm body?

Canmy existinglenses be used with any of the other Canon digital bodies?

Would I be better off spending a bit more/possibly buying used to buy a higher end model somewhere like http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductList.aspx

my budget is about $900

thanks mark
mgason is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2006, 12:34 PM   #2

I can't see the other link, but I would whole-heartedly recommend going with a new Rebel XT. Review the feature list to make sure, but the minimal functions that are disabled in the DREB compared to the more expensive Canons are not needed for most people.

By going with a new camera, you will get the peace of mind of a full warranty.

I believe Amazon has a rebate, so the Rebel XT body is now $600. Because of the recent price drop of DSLR's (due to economies of scale), you're not going to save a whole lot buying used gear. People are hesitant to sell their year-old equipment at a huge loss. You'll have a killer camera that would have cost over $3000 a few years ago, and still have a couple hundred bucks left over to buy a new lens (if you want.)

Also, your current lenses youv'e been using with the film Rebel are completely compatible with the DReb. What lenses do you have? Don't worry about buying new lenses unless you actually need them, you won't need new lenses just because you're buying a digital SLR.

madmaxmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 1:54 PM   #3

mgason wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

Will the 10 year old canon lenses be compatible with it?

Should I buy a new "digital" lens when buying a body?

Can those be used on my 35mm body?

Canmy existinglenses be used with any of the other Canon digital bodies?
Any EF lens should work on the Canon digital SLR bodies currently out.But, you should note that most DSLRs have this 'crop factor' - in the case of the XT, 20D and 30d it means you take the focal range of the lens and multiply by 1.6 - so a 100mm lens BEHAVES LIKE a 160mm lens on one of these bodies. Great for people that use telephoto lenses. Bad for people that use wide angle (a 24mm lens becomes 38mm). So, you may need a new lens if you do wide angle work. The 1D Mark II N has a 1.3 crop factor. The 1D-s and 1D-s Mk II and the 5d all have full frame sensors so there is no crop factor.

'Digital' lens could mean one of two things:

1. Has a special lens coating to reduce flare that is more prevelant on digital sensors than on 35mm film.

2. Has smaller optics because the image circle needed by 1.6x crop factor sensors is smaller than 35 mm. These lenses are only usable on 1.6x crop factor Canon bodies - if you use them on a film body, or the 10D, 5d or any 1d Digital body you'll get vignetting around the edges since the lens doesn't create a large enough image to cover the sensor. The benefit to these lenses are they are smaller and lighter than a 'full frame' lens because they don't need as large of optics - the downside is you're stuck with a 1.6 crop camera.

As to whether you're better off with the XT or a higher end camera - that depends on what you shoot and whether you need the features those cameras provide:

better build quality, higher ISO capability, better burst rate, etc. A new 20d can be had for $1050 right now but the question is - do you need the added features. Or if you really want a full frame sensor - then the 5d is the only affordable option but it's way over your budget.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 5:16 PM   #4

Hi,

The rebel XT body (black) at B&H also has a rebate and comes in around $580.

seems the way to go for me. I can buy a more expensive body later if I wish. I do like the idea of the sensor in the 5d. By the time I am ready that will be cheaper. ;-)

Maybe I can spend the extra on a wider angle lens than I currently own.

By "Digital Lens" I meant those that can come bundled with the Rebel. I assume these are as you describe "Has smaller optics...."

I think I will just buy a body, I don't think I want a lens that only works on my digital body, and have not read good things about the bundled lens.

How do you compensate for the cropping? do you just learn to adjust ? Could you explain that a little more JohnG.

Do you mean the actual image will be a lesser area than that I see in the viewfinder?

Does the LCD show the correct image?

Thanks for all the advice

Mark
Old Jul 6, 2006, 5:47 PM   #5

mgason wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

How do you compensate for the cropping? do you just learn to adjust ? Could you explain that a little more JohnG.

Do you mean the actual image will be a lesser area than that I see in the viewfinder?

Does the LCD show the correct image?

Thanks for all the advice

Mark
Mark,

The image in the viewfinder (and on the LCD AFTER the picture is taken - you can't preview on the LCD for the Canon DSLR cameras) will appear as if you had a lens of 1.6x focal length more. So, if you are using a 50mm lens - the image you see in the viewfinder and the image that will be captured will look like the image of a 80mm lens on your film body. So, you still see exactly what is being captured. If you have a 50mm prime lens - just think of it as an 80mm lens on the XT and you'll be fine.

Or in another way - put a 50mm lens on the XT and an 80mm lens on your film rebel - look through the viewfinders and take a picture from both of the same subject and the 2 pictures should be pretty close.

Also - just to re-iterate on the LCD - unlike non-DSLR digital cameras, the Canon DSLRs do not allow you to preview images on the LCD screen. It's because they still use technology similar to SLR film bodies - there is the mirror between the lens and the sensor - so there is no image being projected on the sensor for display on the LCD until the picture is taken. Several non Canon DSLRs are now coming out that provide this feature - they do so by having 2 sensors. One for preview and one for capturing the image. I'm sure I messed up some finer details of this explanation but I think it gets the point across.

What I would suggest is this: take your lenses to a camera store and try them on an XT body - you'll see what I mean about the crop factor and you'll also be able to verify your autofocus still works (it should but probably a good idea to verify).

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 9:01 AM   #6

Thanks,

that makes sense now.

will be off t the store with my lenses soon

mark