Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 6, 2006, 2:30 AM   #1

Am I right in thinking and deducting from reading this forum, that a good rule of thumb for those interested in going the d50, EOS350, or KM D7 way, and not having money to buy new lenses every few months, is to buy the body only, and get another lens, not the kit lens?

Will Sigma lenses always be better than the kit lenses on these cameras? I am thinking of buying one of these three cameras, (body only) and getting a Sigma 18-200 lens.

Wise? Or not?

lpatterton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2006, 4:36 AM   #2

I'm not sure why so many people believe the kit lenses are useless. Are they pro-level?? Are the functional, solid lenses??? Absolutely. Any optical shortcomings likely will not be noticed at normal print sizes (4x6, 8x10) or monitor viewing size. They are typically very lightweight. Sure they may be a bit slow aperature wise, and certainly lack in build quality, but for the price they are hard to beat. The typical consumer/casual/entry level photographer will never notice (nor even need) the advantages higher end glass offers.

Sigma is like any other manufacturer. They have quality stuff, and consumer grade stuff. When comparing prices, their consumer grade stuff is no better or worse (or at least only marginally so) than the 1st party lenses consumer (ie kit lenses) stuff.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 4:48 AM   #3

so basically if i replace the 18-55 and 55-200 kit lenses (for example) with a Sigma 18-200, the only difference will be the fact that I have now a walkaround lens?

Quality-wise it will not make a difference?
lpatterton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 8:57 AM   #4

lpatterton wrote:
Quote:
Am I right in thinking and deducting from reading this forum, that a good rule of thumb for those interested in going the d50, EOS350, or KM D7 way, and not having money to buy new lenses every few months, is to buy the body only, and get another lens, not the kit lens?

Will Sigma lenses always be better than the kit lenses on these cameras? I am thinking of buying one of these three cameras, (body only) and getting a Sigma 18-200 lens.

Wise? Or not?

Actually the kit lens I got with the KM 7D is exceelent and at the time was only 50 dollars higher than the body only price for a 400 dollar lens. The bad news is they now are selling for a much higher price now. You might still be able to get a KM 7D with the basic kit lens for 699 from Walmart online. That is lower than the normal body only price so it's a no brainer.

As for Sigmas always being better....I have heard the opposite depending on which Sigma lens you are talking about.

As for walk around it depends on the type of walking you do. My walk around is a 28-300mm Tamron. The beauty of the Tamron right now is that you can get it for about half the price of it's replacement model and still end up with a decent lens. The new model has some changes, most of which are minor and not really noticable for twice the price. Obviously there is a trade-off between 28-300 compared to 18-200. I prefer more zoom than wide on average for outdoor shots. I can usally back up to make up for wide angle as opposed to getting closer to what I'm shooting. There are shots I would miss by not having the zoom. It all depends on wants and needs.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 9:14 AM   #5

lpatterton-

IMHO buying the DSLR bodyonly makes sense when you have a selection of the respective brand name lenses already on hand. As has been previously mentioned, the kit lens is usually sold at a discount in the initial sale.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:28 AM   #6

I think the kit lenses are generally decent, similar to the consumer-level lenses from the various makers. So if you're going to buy a similar grade lens anyway, you might want to keep the kit lens since the bundle price is cheaper.

But it really depends on your needs, what you're shootiing, etc. I have owned a couple of Canon DSLR's, and my walkaround lens is a 50mm 1.8, because I shoot in natural light and that focal length (after multiplier) is perfect for candids and portraits. And the image quality of a fixed lens is superior to zoom lenses (at a given price level.)

I also later added a 28-105 Canon USM zoom to replace the Canon kit lens, primarily for the nice USM focusing and generally well-regarded image quality (for a consumer lens.) It's a $250 lens, but I doubt image quality is so much better than the 18-55 kit lens.

Other people here seem to gravitate towards the 28-200 type superzooms. I can see those being great if you shoot all sorts of stuff, so that you're really taking advantage of the extended zoom range and not having to often switch lenses.

madmaxmedia is offline   Reply With Quote