Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 6, 2006, 2:35 PM   #1

At work, we use digital cameras for still pics, but need to add a short audio description of each pic (which is used back at the office to rename each pic to something useful).

The Kodak DC-265 was a very useful camera. It not only auto-rotated pics taken vertically (rather than horizontally), but allowed us to easily add a sound bite to each pic. Sadly, our 265s became less and less reliable.

The most recent acquisition was a Minolta dImage S414. It's been "okay", but every time we use it, we are reminded how much we liked the good ol' DC265s. The Minolta just eats batteries, even if we turn the display off when taking pics. It wasn't bad at first, but it's eating batteries more and more quickly. We'd been using the NiMH batteries, but I've started buying the super alkalines (titanium) which are designed for digital cameras and such, but it still goes through batteries!

What cameras are out there that allow a sound memo to be attached to the photo? (Online resources don't even cover this angle!)
seattlejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2006, 7:18 PM   #2

Hi ..... thought I'd ask again ................................

I need a digital camera that takes still pics which I can then (easily) attach a voice memo to.

Any ideas?
Old Jul 10, 2006, 7:43 PM   #3

How long does the voice memo need to be? More than 20 seconds?

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 1:12 AM   #4

Naw ..... 10 seconds is generally enough, no more than 20.

"-)
Old Jul 11, 2006, 1:44 AM   #5

Joe-

There a number of digital cameras on the market that include the voice memo feature. Two that quickly come to mind are the Canon G-6 and the Olympus SP-350. I am sure that a bit of research will turn up even more.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 2:56 AM   #6

There are many cameras that have a voice memo feature. I think all current Casios have it.

In Steve's reviews look in the record mode screens & menus section and read the different menu choices. I just grabbed a current Olympus at random (D595) and it has a choice for sound recording with still images. Since my old C50 also had the feature I would guess most if not all Olys have it as well.

It is a common feature. I would narrow down my choices and then look for that feature.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 9:41 AM   #7

Thanks ... I'll check.

At the camera store last night, I was told a lot of cameras had the capability of adding an audio memo, but more as an afterthought. The easiest one still required the user to take a picture, then switch to review mode (one button on this camera), then press the shutter button to record the audio, then switch back to picture mode. This may not sound like a big deal, but it's not a very intuitive thing, and when you're talking about going through this process for each and every picture (we're talking a couple of dozen pictures with each session), it's far less than the best.

"-)
Old Jul 11, 2006, 2:02 PM   #8

It sounds like your salesman borrowed Rube Goldberg's camera and assumed they were all that way. But almost any procedure becomes intuitive to most people after they do it a few times.

I tried it on my Casio Z750 and it couldn't be easier. In audio snap mode the camera automatically reverts to display after you take the shot with a musical note and available time. When you are ready to do the voice recording you push the shutter. If you don't want to record the entire 30 seconds you can push the shutter when you are through. When you push the button to stop the recording it reverts back to the picture taking mode you were in.

The camera stays in audio snap until you turn it off, even when you cycle the camera off and back on.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 5:27 PM   #9

slipe wrote:
Quote:
I tried it on my Casio Z750 and it couldn't be easier.
Quote:
The camera stays in audio snap until you turn it off, even when you cycle the camera off and back on.
LOL!!! I just got back from yet another camera store (the same store's Seattle location) and we finally got a couple of excellent candidates ..... one of them being the EX-Z1000 ... just up from your model.

It would appear that a number of Casio's EXILIM series has just what you described ... which just happens to be precisely what I was looking for.

Okay, it may have been the EX-Z57 rather than the EX-Z1000 ... but an even better candidate is the P-505. Sure, it appears to be a discontinued model, but is more intuitive, and easier to grip. The Z1000 is just too small to hold comfortably ... I'm always afraid of dropping it. The P-505 has a really funky look to it, but is ideal in so many ways to our needs!

Thanks for the input, mtclimber and slipe!

"-)