Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 7, 2006, 9:13 AM   #1

The Kodak is not enough only 2mp and getting old, but takes great pics, The Lumix(which i just had to have!) Is way to much, I cant get a decent pic of my kids, too many settings, too heavy and too complicated. Heck i bought a tripod, extra xoom lens, extra memory cards and it all sits in its case after less than 2 years. It does take great pics of the moon, but i want kids pics.

My kids are involved in baseball, wrestling etc and they dont sit still i want a nice digital camera, that i can just put in auto and shoot and get a clear crisp pic. I really dont want to go over $400 . I was looking at the Olympus sp500 but I think with that much zoom i would end up with ssame problems.

Any camera you can think of to suite my needs before the lumix goes to ebay??

i dont want a wimp camera but i want one easier than the lumix

Thanks for any input

KikididiRN
KikididiRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2006, 9:39 AM   #2

KikididiRN wrote:
Quote:
The Kodak is not enough only 2mp and getting old, but takes great pics, The Lumix(which i just had to have!) Is way to much, I cant get a decent pic of my kids, too many settings, too heavy and too complicated. Heck i bought a tripod, extra xoom lens, extra memory cards and it all sits in its case after less than 2 years. It does take great pics of the moon, but i want kids pics.

My kids are involved in baseball, wrestling etc and they dont sit still i want a nice digital camera, that i can just put in auto and shoot and get a clear crisp pic. I really dont want to go over $400 . I was looking at the Olympus sp500 but I think with that much zoom i would end up with ssame problems.

Thanks for any input

KikididiRN
I'm not aure what trouble you are having with Lumix since you can shoot in full auto just like a point and shoot. Are you shooting action shots in low light or some other unique situation that requires user intervention or special scene mode? If you simply object to the size of it, that is a seperate issue.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 9:43 AM   #3

KidkidRN-

Rather than just recommending a camera out of the blue to you. Perhaps we ought to take a bit of time to really analyze what camera will suit you best. It is sort of like purchasing a new pair of shoes. If the shoes don't fit well, they might be very pretty indeed, but you will most probably never wear them.

Since both of your described choices thus far are long zoom cameras:

(1) How much zoom do you really want or need?

(2) Is camera size a consideration? What size works best for you? Do you want something that will fit easily into your purse

(3) Are megapixels a consideration? How many mp?

(4) It sounds ;like you are taking sport photos, can you use flash?

(5) How close can you get to those sporting events to take your photo?

(6) Will you be taking many photos where a low level of lighting is involved? What percentage of your photos are taken in low lighting conditions?

(7) How do you use your photos? Do you make prints? How big are those prints, generally? Will you ever be making 8" X 10" prints?

(8) Are you familiar with optical image stabilization? Do You need it?

(9) Of the photos that you are currently taking, what percentage are less than clear or show some degree of fuzziness or subject/camera motion in them?

(10 ) Are you currently considering, any specific cameras?

(11) Are you willing to do any post processsing of your photos using photo editing software, or do you just take what the camera produces?

I know that seems like a lot of questions, and I do apologize for all of them. However, your camera represents an investment, and we want to get the most out of that investment. We really want to tailor the camera, as closely as possible, to your specific needs at present, and if possible in the future as well.

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 9:47 AM   #4

KikididiRN wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for any input

KikididiRN
I amalsolooking to purchase a point and shoot camera to compliment my DSLR for those moments that it is inconvenient to carry. I will probably buy a Fuji F30 because it takes decent pictures in lowlight and has most of the features I want. They have a 50 dollar rebate on this model right andit will run you around 300 if you check the price on NEXTAG.COM or other web based shopping service. There are other cameras that do the trick, but I have searched long and hard for a point and shoot camera. The reason I still don't have one is that by the time I was getting close to deciding what I wanted a few months ago I elected to get a DSLR first. I believe thatrebate ends July 15th, so I am going to decide for sure very soon.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 9:54 AM   #5

1) How much zoom do you really want or need? I dont need 10x, buy im not sure what I need

(2) Is camera size a consideration? What size works best for you? Do you want something that will fit easily into your purse size doesnt matter to me

(3) Are megapixels a consideration? How many mp? Yes i want enough that its a clear crisp beautiful pic that can go up to an 8x10 pic

(4) It sounds ;like you are taking sport photos, can you use flash? Yes I can use flash

(5) How close can you get to those sporting events to take your photo? This varies sometimes im right there within 5 feet sometimes 30 feet

(6) Will you be taking many photos where a low level of lighting is involved? What percentage of your photos are taken in low lighting conditions? Wrestling events the light varies but alot is low light sits

(7) How do you use your photos? Do you make prints? How big are those prints, generally? Will you ever be making 8" X 10" prints? I take my card to walmart or where ever and get prints made most are 4x6 or 5x7 but i want the option for nice 8x10

(8) Are you familiar with optical image stabilization? Do You need it? I am slightly familiar with it, but it only helps if hands shake right, not if my 5 years old is zipping across the yard

(9) Of the photos that you are currently taking, what percentage are less than clear or show some degree of fuzziness or subject/camera motion in them? In sports with the kodak they are fine but i need more than my old kodak gives, with the lumix i never fet a clear pic, Im not really into fixing all the setting before i take an action shot, i know its not the camera, it me

(10 ) Are you currently considering, any specific cameras? Im open to any i want simplicity yet an option for some creativity

(11) Are you willing to do any post processsing of your photos using photo editing software, or do you just take what the camera produces? No i dont want to do any editing if at all possible, Im a nurse and spare time is far and few between

KikididiRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 10:29 AM   #6

kidkidRN-

Why not take a look at the Panasonic TZ-1:

It would give you greater zoom. The ability to extend your flash beyond 10 to 12 feet by using either a higher ISO number, or a slave flash. It has OIS. It does well in auto mode. And it produces good photos.

Why not take a look at the Fuji S-5200:

It has all of the TZ-1 features, plus it has a higher usable ISO setting (up to ISO 1600).

Why not take a look at the Pentax DL:

With the $100 rebate currently available on the DL model, you get all of the TZ-1 and S-5200 features plus an even higher ISO capability and the use of interchangeable lenses. Using the DL with an 18-200mm lens, you could cover just about any photo situation.

I suggested cameras with up to 10X optical zoom because I am attempting to cover your future needs as well. So there are three suggestions. Take a look at them. Physically handle them in a camera shop or store, and then let's chat a bit more. Perhaps we have to refine our selection even more. I hope this has been helpfil.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:16 PM   #7

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
kidkidRN-

MT
He already has FZ20. if he can't get shots with it, TZ1 is not going to help. Sorry.

kidkidRN- rather than buying a new cam, why not you post some of your shots so people of the forum can help you with getting the most out of your existing camera.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 1:17 PM   #8

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
kidkidRN-

MT
He already has FZ20. if he can't get shots with it, TZ1 is not going to help. Sorry.

kidkidRN- rather than buying a new cam, why not you post some of your shots so people of the forum can help you with getting the most out of your existing camera.
What makes you so certain that the TZ-1 wouldn't help. Obviously the original poster wants something seemingly simpler to use and that alone may help. Everything is not always so complicated that it requires posting bad pictures. Look at the original post. The major complaint is "Too many settingd, too heavy, too complicated" and paints all the picture I need. The person reccomending the TZ-1 has a lot of professional experiance so maybe the reccomendation to get a TZ-1 is on the money.
Meatwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 1:28 PM   #9

Get the Fujifilm F30. It will get you where you wanna go and beyond. No need to go on looking at others, it's here and it takes noise free shots at even ISO 400, with usable photos for up to ISO 1600 (!!!). And you get all this for less than 300$ after rebate in the States.

Cheers!

P.S. Check out this review of it and read closely: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu...ew/index.shtmlOnce you understand what I'm talking about, you'll see that there is really no other compact p&s out there (except for the Fujifilm F10 and F11 :-)).
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 1:49 PM   #10

KikididiRN,

I incline to agree with meanstreak. Why don't you just try setting the Mode dial to P & then use the Lumix just as you've been using your Kodak? According to the specs, P is Program AE which is a point-n-shoot simple mode.

Herb
Herb is online now   Reply With Quote