Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 9, 2006, 3:17 PM   #11

I'm enjoying this immensely! Actually, I have experimented with the different settings. The problem is that the only time I can experiment is during the play, and then I'm frantically trying everything in an attempt to get a useable photo. I'd be so grateful for any advice you can offer. Thank you.
techaide2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 3:33 PM   #12

melt1109, I did read your comments about the camera for your dad. In fact, I was really tempted to order one from myself. I'm just a little leery ordering a camera that I've never picked up and held. I really do like the idea of anti-shake. I was definitely looking for that in a P&S camera.

So far, I own a Sony Mavica CD300 which is OK but has only a 3X optical zoom. Then I bought the Kodak DX6490. Enjoyed that one but was wishing it had image stabilization. Then I dropped the Kodak so I'm back to the CD300. The camera I use at school is a Konica Minolta 6 pixel P&S with IS. The worst part about that camera (IMO) is using 4 rechargeable batteries. Seems like I am forever charging batteries.

I want a nice camera that can give me a good handheld image at lowlight with no flash. I'm driving myself crazy with this decision. I've spent most of the last 5 hours on the computer researching cameras. Currently, I'm leaning toward the Oly E500 because of the 2 lens and because there is a store near me that has one -- but I change my mind every few minutes so who knows what I'll end up with!
Old Jul 9, 2006, 4:18 PM   #13

melt1109 wrote:
Quote:
5. You don't mention whether you are interested in post processing, (which I am not), but I think in general, the D50 will do more in camera processing than the KM 7d. Check out steve's reviews and forum posts for more on that. The KM deal wasn't out there when I bought and I sort of lucked into what I got, but if I had it to do again today, I'd probably go KM/Sony for anti-shake. Then again...I sure do love my Nikon. (Of course, the Canon, etc. folks will chime in too, which is as it should be.)

The amount of in-camera processing can be adjusted in the 7D. I imagine you can do that in most DSLRs but don't know for sure.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 4:23 PM   #14

techaide-

Even with your Mavica by advancing the ISO 400, and not using any zoom you should be able to get reasonable photos. Above that an approximately $300 investment will get you the Fuji F-10 or F-30 which can use higher ISO settings.

However, you must keep in mind that as you zoom the camera outward the aperture IS REDUCED and that will cause your photo quality to decline rapidly. It is the amility of DSLR cameras to handle higher ISO settings without noise that makes them so much better for no flash situations.

Here is another ISO 400/P&S sample to show you that it can be done. This sample was taken with a Panasonic TZ-1

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 4:28 PM   #15

techaide2 wrote:
Quote:
melt1109, I did read your comments about the camera for your dad. In fact, I was really tempted to order one from myself. I'm just a little leery ordering a camera that I've never picked up and held. I really do like the idea of anti-shake. I was definitely looking for that in a P&S camera.
I was a little leary since I had never held a 7D before I went to buy one. I was ready to buy one blind, but was fortunate that I able to check it out since I was buying it in person. I can tell you this, it felt a little heavy when I first picked it up, but I was holding the body only. As soon as I attached a lens it became an entirely differnt camera and adding the lens made it feel more balanced and natural. After owning and trying out other cameras, I have yet to find something as comfortable to hold as the 7D. Even the KM 5D which feels similiar but lighter doesn't feel as good. Bear in mind I have small hands. This camera has been noted to have great ergonomics and the controls are well placed. Speaking of controls, at first all the buttons and dials seem overwhelming, but they make the camera settings easy to get as opposed to flipping through menus screens to get what you want.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 4:50 PM   #16

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
However, you must keep in mind that as you zoom the camera outward the aperture IS REDUCED and that will cause your photo quality to decline rapidly. It is the amility of DSLR cameras to handle higher ISO settings without noise that makes them so much better for no flash situations.
Now I'm a little confused. Are you saying that a DSLR camera will be better if I want to zoom? But, the example was with a P&S? Did you not use the zoom when taking the example photo? Thanks again for your help.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 6:12 PM   #17

techieaide-

I apologize. I did not mean to confuse you. The last sample photo was taken with a Pana sonic TZ-1, using very little zoom to keep the aperture as wide as possible.

As I understand it, you question why a DSLR camera does a better job with no flash photos?

(1)You can use higher ISO settings up to 1600 and 3200 for some DSLR's.

(2) A DSLR will generally have a better/faster (wider aperture) lens

(3) With a DSLR camera you can zoom freely and take a smaller reduced aperture penalty.

Here is a no flash sample from the Canon 20D (a DSLR). I purposely used a slowed shutter speed to show the action of the dancer.

MT
Attached Images

Old Jul 9, 2006, 6:31 PM   #18

mtclimber, please see if I understand this correctly:

If I am using a P&S camera in low light, I will want to get closer to the subject because the image quality will decline if I use the zoom feature.

If I am using a DSLR, I can possibly use a higher ISO or zoom and the image quality will not deteriorate as quickly?

So, I could get good results with a P&S in low light if I am reasonably close to the subject? Otherwise, I would be better off with a DSLR?
Old Jul 9, 2006, 7:10 PM   #19

techaide-

Yes, you have understood everything correctly. The point I was attempting to make was that yes, P&S cameras can take no flash photos, but due to the size of their CCD (imager) and their lower ISO settings, they are much more limited than DSLR cameras.

Do you see why using P for program mode is much more advantageous than using the AUTO mode in both P&S and DSLR cameras?

Flash is a more dependable light source, but there are indeed times when you cannot or don't want to use flash.

So what DSLR cameras are you considering? There is a $100 rebate currently available on the Pentax DL and the KM 7D is attractively priced at http://www.walmart.com at $724, but the 7D is a rather complex camera and you should expect some learning curve.

Tell me more about what you need to know and how I can help you out??

MT
Old Jul 9, 2006, 7:20 PM   #20

Quote:
I want a nice camera that can give me a good handheld image at lowlight with no flash. I'm driving myself crazy with this decision. I've spent most of the last 5 hours on the computer researching cameras. Currently, I'm leaning toward the Oly E500 because of the 2 lens and because there is a store near me that has one -- but I change my mind every few minutes so who knows what I'll end up with!
Well the folks here will give you good feedback. Though I appear to be unable to learn aperture from ISO, I actually have worked in technology for a long time so I have a bit of experience spec'ing, recommending within budget, deploying and living with users on things sight-unseen....so I have some calmness over the plunge, but I WAS IN YOUR SAME POSITION. I thought my heart would explode before i pushed 'buy'. Of course, though my dad is buying sight-unheld on the KM, he has a lot of camera experience and was able to make some interpretive decisions from the reviews and after seeing mine.

I just threw out the meager thoughts I had, but hang in there, everything you're soaking up now will be valuable info in the long run no matter what you buy.

M

melt1109 is offline   Reply With Quote