Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 9, 2006, 7:15 PM   #21

Yes, I understand that I need to get out of the Auto mode to get the best pictures.

I'm considering the Olympus E500, Pentax *istDL, Nikon D50, and theKM7D. I started with the Pentax *istDL because of the low price (approx. same cost as a P&S after rebate). The Nikon D50 has a reputation for being better in low light. The KM7D is very interesting because of the anti-shake as well as the reduced price. I like the 2 lens kit with the E500 as well as the fact that it has quite a few scene modes, and the dust cleaning feature seems handy. Each camera seems to have its good and bad points.

One question I have is about a zoom lens for a DSLR camera. The zoom in P&S cameras is described as 3X optical, 10X optical, etc. I'd like (if affordable) a zoom in the 8X - 10X range but I don't know how to look for this in a DSLR lens. Would the 40-150MM kit lens with the E500 come close to what I'm looking for?

My budget is $1,000. All suggestions welcome!
techaide2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 7:38 PM   #22

the entire point of buying a (d)SLR is to have lens interchangeability

the P&S cameras have extremely small sensors (film planes) to allow the use of hi 'x' factor zooms

most consumer level dSLRs have APS-C size sensors which are 4-8 times the area of the P&S size sensor

to make a 10x zoom of significant quality for a dSLR would cost around $10,000

eg. the minolta hi speed autofocus 80-200mm f2.8 APO zoom (2.5x) = $1,800 new

any zoom in excess of 3x will be an optical compromise

try to limit your lens collection to 3-4 pieces:

a fast prime 50mm f1.7 (about $90)

a medium all purpose 'walk around' 28-100mm f3.5-5.6 (about $125)

depending upon application a fast telephoto;

85mm f1.4 (about $500)

200mm f2.8 (about $750)

+ a good sturdy tripod

PHOTOGRAPHY IS NOT ABOUT LENSES - IT IS AN ART

$300 worth of gear - no editing (except crop):

bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 8:48 PM   #23

www.buydig.com has the Olympus E-500 two lens kit at $729 and there is a $100 rebate available also from Olympus. buydig is very reputable and the offer a 14 day return policy as well. I have purchased at least 10 cameras from them. That will give you some additional money for accessories. However, I want you to keep in mind that the Olympus has a tendenacy to show some noise at high ISO settings. The max ISO setting on the Oly E-500 is ISO 1600. The E-500 is an 8mp DSLR.

www.buydig.com has the Pentax DL with the kit lens at $464 and there is also a $100 rebate on the DL from Pentax. I will post a Pentax sample for you in this post. The photo was taken with the Sigma 24-70 lens, which is a good inexpensive lens. www.cametacamera.com also has the Tamron 28-300mm XR lens on sale for $140 right now so yo could get into Pentax at an even lower cost. The Pentax DL also has a max ISO setting of 3200. The Pentax DL is a 6mp DSLR.

The Nikon D-50 (also a 6mp DSLR)is selling for $548 (refurbished by Nikon) with the 18-55mm lens. Because I had a bunch of Nikon lenses, I just bought the refurished by Nikon body from Beach Camera for $399 four months ago and I have not had a single problem with that DSLR.

Now let's take a look at how to detirmine the amount of optical zoom. On any lens you simply divide the lowest focal length into the longest focal length. For example if we were looking at a 28-300mm lens, by dividing we can determine that that lens will give you 10.7X optical zoom.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 9:12 PM   #24

Techaide-

I apologize for the duplicate postings, my browser went wacko. I re-booted my computer and things appear normal once more.

I just checked www.ebay.com and you can get an 8mp Olympus E-300 with the 14-45mm kit lens for around $260 to $290. The E-300 is the model previous to the current E-500. It is a good camera and a I use several of them for my DSLR Workshops with great sucess. That is another low cost option.

So here is a E-300 sample photo as well that I just took. I used the Olympus 40-150mm lens that is part of the two lens kit. That lens can be bought on www.ebay.com for around $140.

MT
Attached Images

Old Jul 9, 2006, 10:08 PM   #25

mtclimber, you have been so helpful!! I'm really interested in the Tamron lens you mentioned. (Maybe I shouldn't be, but once you've used the 10X optical zoom on the P&S, it's hard to go back.)Is that only compatible with the Pentax or would it work with one of the other cameras you listed? Did you suggest this with the Pentax because of that camera can be used with high ISO settings? I think my preference would be in this order:

1) Pentax because of price and high ISO settings

2) KM7D because of the anti-shake, and it's gotten great reviews

3) Oly E500 (I think I would really like this camera because of the scene modes, but the noise starting after ISO 400 bothers me, yet the samples you posted at ISO 400 were great so maybe it would be OK?) Out of curiosity, would the Tamron lens work with this camera?

4) Nikon - I'm sure it's a great camera, just seems that I can find better "deals" on others.

Thanks again for all your help!
Old Jul 9, 2006, 10:37 PM   #26

techaide-

The 28-300mm Tamron XR lens is avaialable for the Nikon, Pentax, and the KM 7D. It is a very good lens at an excellent price.

The Pentax DL at around $470 less the $100 rebate, plus the Tamron 28-300mm XR lens brings your total net cost in at about $510 to $520. A good source for that lens is www.cametacamera.com. That package would be measurably less than the cost of the KM 7D. The Pentax Package lets you cover from 27mm to 400mm (due to the aps-C multiplier formula). That gives you more than 10X optical zoom.

Here is a sample photo taken with that Tamron 28-300mm XR lens.

MT
Attached Images

Old Jul 9, 2006, 11:37 PM   #27

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
any zoom in excess of 3x will be an optical compromise

Any zoom is a compromise but that doesn't mean it isn't worth buying or that you will be unable to get great shots with it. I don't know why you draw the line at anything over 3X, but it is misleading since there are great lenses out there that are very good despite being in excess of 3X. Perhaps they don't meet your standards, but you might be the exception herebecause there are plenty of photographers on this forum willing to use them. Prior to owning a DSLR, I shot exclusively with fixed lenses becasue I had to compromises because I could only afford a few lenses. There was many a time Iwish I had a owned a zoom back then. Probably would have bought one eventually, but I gave up photgraphy for a while.Sure a quality fixed lens in every flavor is the best way to go in controlled settings. In the real world though you will miss a lot of photo oppourtunities switching lenses and limiting yourself to 3X or lower.
Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 12:26 AM   #28

Well, I waited too long. The price of the Pentax *ist DL just went from $464 to $519 before the $100 rebate.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 6:18 AM   #29

Gozinta,

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 4:24 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 8:46 AM   #30

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
Gozinta,

A man of few words... what's your point? Nice shot of a bird.

Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote