Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 10, 2006, 9:26 AM   #31

Bernbeau-

Thanks for posting both photos. I love them because of their simple elegance.

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 9:36 AM   #32

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
http://www.buydig.com has the Olympus E-500 two lens kit at $729 and there is a $100 rebate available also from Olympus. buydig is very reputable and the offer a 14 day return policy as well. I have purchased at least 10 cameras from them.
I have purchased from Beach , which is the same as Buydig. I had an unpleasant experience with them, although I would probably still buy from them because they do have the best price. I received an FZ30 from them which had a minor issue; infact it might not have been a defect and they readily took it back. They had the option of determining whether it was normal and returning it to me or replacing it. They opted to replace it but did so with a obviously used camera. The box was in poor shape and the camera hada scratch on the hotshoe. The date and time had already been set and the battery had almost a full charge. There were fingerprintson the LCD from handling. They took it back and gave me a full refund on the camera and they were also supposed to refund my shipping expenses, which they agreed to do, but never did. I had to get American Express involved andBeach never answered the dispute so I ended up getting a creditfor shipping thanks to American Express who simply deducted it from Beach. What was really bad is that both returns happened during the Jewish holidays and they literally shut down for days, so I was without the camera for weeks during the first exchange and had to wait awhile to get my money back. The only reason I would still buy from them is that they didgive me a refund despite the fact that trying to give me a used unit as an exchange did not sit well with me. They claimed they did not know how that could happen since they only sell brand new. I think like most retailerswhenever they can if a return looks almost as new they try to sell it as new, but in this case they should have looked the unit over better and sold it as a demo. They probably also count on some people not noticing or not bothering to complain. Ultimately they did me a favor, since trying out the FZ30 made me realize that it just couldn't take good pictures except under ideal conditions. I probably should have just gotten a refund the first time I sent it back, but was trying to give the FX30 camera a chance. Idid try the second one until I got my answer that I could return for a refund, but the FZ30 is just awful. Doesn't come close to a DSLR and anyone who thinks so is either to please or just trying to justify their expense. Sorry putting a Pseudo Leica lens in front of a small sensor just doesn't cut it except in well lit situations. Any DSLR no matter how basic will blow away the FZ30 or anything similar.
Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 10:42 AM   #33

techaide-

As of this morning (07/10) www.ibuydigital.com still has the Pentax DL with kit lens at $457.

MT
Old Jul 10, 2006, 11:53 AM   #34

I'm really leaning toward the KM7D. Would it be harder to learn to use than the Pentax?

Things I don't like about Pentax are: 4 AA batteries, no anti-shake, few focus points

I've used the rechargeable batteries, and they always drain when not in use. I don't use the camera that often. Then, when I want to use it, the batteries are drained.
techaide2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 1:03 PM   #35

techaide-

Yes, the KM 7D does use a propietary Lithium Ion battery. So it would retain its charge for a longer time. Yes, the KM 7D will have a deeper and longer learning curve, but I am sure you can do it. I would not hesitate getting your order into www.walmart.com, they have already raised the price once.

MT
Old Jul 10, 2006, 1:53 PM   #36

Gozinta,

my point was: Try this with a 10x zoom on a 'point and shoot'

lol.....John

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 4:24 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 2:20 PM   #37

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
Gozinta,

my point was: Try this with a 10x zoom on a 'point and shoot'

lol.....John

Then your point is irrelavant to the conversation since I was talking about zooms greater than 3X on a DSLR.

Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 2:55 PM   #38

Well, I did it. I ordered the KMD7 from Wal-Mart. I'm still second guessing myself about the Pentax. I know that I should have ordered it because of the price. I feel guilty about spending so much money especially with my lack of knowledge and experience. The battery issue is a really big thing for me. Oh well, if this camera doesn't work out, I can always return it to Wal-Mart.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks again to everyone for your comments, especially you, mtclimber!
techaide2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 3:07 PM   #39

techaide-

Your decision was a good one. Yes, there will be a learning curve, but as I mentioned before, you will be able to do it. Rumor has it that Pentax, after licensing the anti-shake technology from Sony, is working closely with Samsung, and are hoping to come out with a 10+mp, anti-shake DSLR for the Christmas market.

That is a tight working schedule, that might be difficult to make. It will be nice to see more advanced DSLR cameras come to market.

MT
Old Jul 10, 2006, 3:16 PM   #40

Gozinta,

Let me rephrase: Try this with ANY 10x zoom !!!

A 10x zoom (with an APS-C image circle) with a constant f2.8 DOES NOT EXIST (at any price)

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 4:24 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote