Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 9, 2006, 9:07 PM   #1

Fuji has an Anti-Blur feature on the S-5200 that is supposed to take the place of an image stabilization feature. Does anyone have any feedback regarding how well this works in real life?

The two cameras I'm considering are the Fuji S-5200 and the Canon Powershot S2.

Thank you in advance,

Chris
crypkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2006, 9:17 PM   #2
Administrator

What are you going to be taking photos of?

All Fuji is doing is increasing ISO speed. There is no stabilization system (anti-blur is marketing hype).

Each time you double the ISO speed, a camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast for the same aperture and lighting and get proper exposure.

The Fuji you're looking at does offer higher usable ISO speeds compared to the Canon.

But, the Canon has a real image stabilization system (versus the marketing hype you hear from Fuji).

That doesn't mean it's better, depending on what you're taking photos of.

Stabilization (as with the Canon) reduces blur from camera shake. But, that won't help with blur from subject movement.

The Fuji has higher ISO speeds. That will help with both camera shake and subject movement (but, you'll get higher noise levels as ISO speeds are increased).

There are pros and cons to both. Personally, I'd probably lean towards the Fuji. It's a very inexpensive camera now for one offering ISO speeds as high as it has available in a non-DSLR model.

If you want higher usable ISO speeds *and* a real stabilization system, take a look at a Konica Minolta 5D or 7D (or the new Sony Alpha 100)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 9:24 PM   #3

I'm replacing an Olympus C755 that has a broken battery door. Believe it or not, the cost of fixing it is @$220. I thought I'd look at what I could get for a few dollars more that was actually new, or factory refurbished.

I've generally taken candid shots of people (my daughters) where the picture actually came out nicer than if they had posed. (Hooray for zoom lenses!) I also take the camera backpacking, so size and weight are a consideration. Lastly, I take pictures of my daughters playing in the school bands.

So I'm not looking for a camera to take motion shots, like of a basketball game, but of situations where the subject was not moving much at all.

I hope this helps. Your input will be very much appreciated.

Chris
crypkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 9:58 PM   #4
Administrator

Well, for school bands (where you've got some low light conditions they'll be playing in), I'd probably value the higher ISO speed of the Fuji more. They're never motionless (even though they're relatively still), and higher ISO speeds let you get faster shutter speeds.

There are pros and cons to both.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote