Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 9, 2006, 10:59 PM   #1

I have been doing a lot of research lately as I am preparing to purchase a camera. After lengthy amounts of time going to tech stores and readingreviews on this awesome web site, I have narrowed my search down to these 3 cameras. All seem very similar to me. I am trying to choose between the Casio EX-Z600, Casio EX-S600, and the Casio EX-Z60. I noticed the main differences in that the sizes of the LCD screen (not that big of a deal to me), and the battery life (all have pretty good battery life, so again, not a main concern). Can anyone help aid me in my final decision?? I know all 3 cameras are 6 mega pixels.. but does that mean they all take the same quality pictures? Any other differences or cool features that I should be aware of?Thanks for your help!!

Chad8737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2006, 5:51 PM   #2

From what I've read and heard the Ex-z600 and s600 modelsare better than the z60 model, so i'd go with one of those. The z600 model also has the zoom as a ring around the shutter button as opposed to the two buttons on the back of the s600, so that might be a preference thing. try taking pics with both if possible to see if one feels better.
Redhawks09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 5:58 PM   #3

Hmm... ill take that into consideration. Anyone else? I am also slightly considering the EX-Z750, which I have heard has a lot better picture quality compared to the 6 MP models I originally considered. If anyone has any 4 of these camera's, your thoughts would be appreciated!!!
Old Jul 10, 2006, 6:47 PM   #4

http://www.kenrockwell.com/casio/exz600.htm This guy seems to think the S600 would be a better choice. Is it just because it has a better video mode?
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:17 AM   #5

Anyone else have an opinion?:?
Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:27 PM   #6

Chad-

If size is not an issue, take a look at the Canon A-620, the Fuji F-10, or the Fuji F-30.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 3:09 PM   #7

I'd kinda like one of the slimmer models (Ultra Compact?) but those cameras do look very nice. thank you!
Old Jul 23, 2006, 5:46 PM   #8

Hi Chad8737

I had been going through the same dilemma with Casio subminiature cameras. I was looking at the Z750 and the Z850. They were both similar but some improvements in the 850 had some losses from the Z750. I learned of the new release of the Z1000. After much research I was still pretty confused as to whether the Z1000 offered much more at 10megs than the 750 or 850. The prices on the net were comparable between the Z850 and the Z1000. I decided to bite the bullet and take the Z1000!!

I ordered it from Techtoys and it was delivered via UPS exactly as promised. The sealed package was fresh from the Casio Factory with nothing missing. I had a question and the Techtoy staff answered it clearly and quickly. I paid $375. for everything including a 1gig memory card and they threw in a nice leather case for the camera. I was glad for that extra protection for that 2.8" LCD screen.

I'm not great with reading manuals but Casio supplied a PDF file on their CD Installation disk that covers everything you need to know about the Z1000. The software only worked for Windows XP and Mac OS 9 users. I have both but do all my digital pics in a Mac. Since I'm running OS 10 I was happy to discover that Mac OS 10 recognized the camera right away so there was no problem transferring pics in the Mac.

I've only had it a few days but so far all pictures and movies have been good. The battery life is quite remarkable. It has remained charged through a number of tests and movies for a few days! I'm not really a very technical photographer. I just point and shoot.

Oh, I was more serious in my earlier days. I had the Nikon FTN of the 60s and the usual B+W Darkroom. It was a wonderful camera and took great pictures. Since Digital cameras arrived I've had one "brick" from Sony and finally decided to try a subminiature camera.

Rather than enumerating all the features, (Steve's review is so much more complete than I could ever write) let me just say I'm enjoying exploring all the features. I will say that the Z1000 offers both a freedom of a real serious photographer to make his own camera settings as well as offering a myriad of "preset" choices for point and shoot guys like me.

I hope this is somewhat of a help in making your choice! Good Luck!
jimbo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 5:59 PM   #9

Jim-

It nice to hear from a Casio Z-1000 user. When you have a chance could you please post some photo samples. Thanks!

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 2:51 AM   #10

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Jim-

It nice to hear from a Casio Z-1000 user. When you have a chance could you please post some photo samples. Thanks!

MT
I second that. I'd love to see some photos and videos. I notice that the video quality is now 25fps, I'd like to see if it hurts the overall quality of the Camera.
CDRacingZX6R is offline   Reply With Quote