Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 11, 2006, 10:51 AM   #11

Thanks everyone, great points and I think I'll just jump in and do it! And Mtnclimber...it's true, the old MX was originally mine before he took it over. It wouldn't be unheard of for the same thing to happen in reverse!
Terresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 11:22 AM   #12

jakelrot wrote:
Quote:
My situation:
Baby on the way and given relatively free reign by DW to upgrade our dear old CyberShot and APS cameras in favor of a new cam and camcorder (the camcorder selection is a whole different nightmare) to record all the new milestones (how obvious is it that this is our first?).

Well, I just bought the DL and I really like it. However, since you're also looking for a camcorder, consider the video that the S3 shoots. I quit using my camcorder when I bought my S1. If you're looking for a "convergence device", get the S3. However, something tells me you want the DL (or a dSLR). If so, then get the DL and be done with it. You know you will sometime in the future.

Congrats on the new kid!

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:25 PM   #13

Thanks, Russ. I ended up getting the *ist DL kit from Willoughby's Monday night when it was $289 AR and am playing with it already tonight.
jakelrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:31 AM   #14

Thank you to you all for your input on my decision, and to you, jakelrot, for allowing me to piggyback on your thread. I ordered the DL today, and am picking it up tomorrow. I think I got a great deal, so I wanted to share it if anyone is still considering this camera. I got mine at Circuit City, but went through dealnews.com. They have a 10% off coupon (click through their link), so it came to $375.19 after rebate. Plus at Circuit City, if they have it in stock at a local store you can pick it up, meaning you don't have to wait as long to get it. Now if I can only wait until my husband's birthday, I'm literally bursting at the seams I'm so pleased with the decision and the price!
Old Jul 13, 2006, 7:11 AM   #15

if circuit city had a deal that good (almost as good as beachcamera, minus the wait!) i would've picked it up there last week, it was a killer waiting the whole weekend until monday, but not worth $100+ it would've cost me last week! you're gonna love the DL, i'm loving it after only 3 days, the low light shooting alone is just amazing!
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 8:52 AM   #16

Terresa,

I'm really glad that I didn't just rely on the other DSLR vs. P&S threads for my decision since my post was able to serve double-duty for us. I actually ordered the *ist DL at Circuit CIty last week to take advantage of a different 10% off that put it at $400 AR but left it for instore pickup while I tried to make up my mind. Then it dropped in price at CC again on Sunday and my research was really getting me revved up to get it. I was just hoping for another 10% coupon this week when the Willoughbys deal came up and I had to jump on it. By yesterday, as soon as I saw on UPS that it was out for delivery, I was peeking out the window for the UPS guy every 5 minutes like a kid waiting for his back-of-the-comic-book x-ray glasses to arrive. I'm still having a hard time focusing on my work and ignoring its call at this moment and I'm really looking forward togetting to play around with mine this weekend. Good luck holding off on opening yours, er your husband's, until his birthday!

See you on the Pentax DSLR boards!
jakelrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Good luck holding off on opening yours, er your husband's
I know, I feel like I'm Homer Simpson, when he gave Marge a bowling ball for her birthday, engraved with *his* name on it!

It was so cool to come here and find someone debating between the exact two models I was, so I'm very glad you started a new thread for it.

I hope you'll soon be posting some great baby pictures on the Pentax dSLR boards, I can't wait to see them!
Old Jul 14, 2006, 8:54 AM   #18

I just checked-out Circuit City and it would come out to $411 AR for me (adding $29 California sales tax).

Haven't hit the send button...decisions!
cameanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 9:54 AM   #19

$411 after tax and you can go and pick it up today??? the $20 you'll save online is not worth the wait, go for it, its a great camera!!
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:40 AM   #20

I agree - good price for an excellent camera - get it and have fun!

I bought my DS in January and paid quite a bit more than that. I don't regret getting it when I did - I've had SO much fun these past 6 months with it, and that experience has been priceless.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote