Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 10, 2006, 5:00 AM   #1

I currently own a Canon S400. I love its smallness & am happy with the images. However I would like alarger LCDand high quality videos with longer recording times. So, I am considering upgrading for a similarly sized ultracompact "pocket" camera with larger LCD & improved video capability & still have great photos also. Iwould especially like one that has some zoom capabiity while filming.IS would be nice too, but not critical.Other than that, I don't want much!:roll:

After spending hours reviewing potential cameras (including manufacture's sites), Iam having a hard timefinding consistent answers about video capabilities.I would greatly appreciate some knowledgable input or guidance where to look! Cameras being considered are:

1.Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX01. Main weak point seems to be picture noise, & not much detail about video mode.

2. Canon SD700 IS: sounds like great camera with superior images, but can't find details about video - length of recording time & other features such as zoom.

3. CasioEX Z750. This sounds like a great all around camera with excellent video featurers. Can you zoom w video?

4. Casio EX Z600: Also sounds great, but apparently the video takes much more memory &the recording time for video on a card is dramatically less than EX750. I have mixed messages about zoom feature -- apparentlyuse digitalzoom.

Can anyone shed more light on the video features of these cameras? I am also open to others suggestions under $450.

Thanks!

danlisahall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2006, 11:21 AM   #2

try this (is mpeg4 in movies, with 2G SD you have 100min video)
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/hd1.html
plop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 3:02 PM   #3

For around$450?Consider:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/c6.html
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 10:37 PM   #4

That is at my high end,very cool -- had not come across the Sanyo before.It also may be a bit bigger than what I want, but I am going to take a look at it. Thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2006, 4:59 AM   #5

After a lot of consideration, I bought an EX-S600 a few weeks ago and am very happy with it. Very small size and movie function were critical for me and I have a 2GB card. Excellent video (although see my post in the Casio section re video playback). The MPEG4 seems to be an excellent format and whilst you cannot use the optical zoom whilst filming, you can preset it and also use the digital zoom if essential.

J.

PS. Good info on Casio and Canon in particular, inc Z750 & S600 reviews,and on digital photgraphy in general :

http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm
jldelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 2:30 PM   #6

I am curious - why did you chose the ex s600 over the EX Z750?
Old Jul 11, 2006, 3:40 PM   #7

I can agree with Jldelta regarding the suitability of the Exilim Card digicams for video. I bought the EX-S500 over 9 monthsago for my wife for stills, but we have been pleasantly surprised with the video performance and sound quality. I have combined clips from the S500 with those from our Sony Digital8 Camcorder to make DVD videos - you can tell the difference but its not dramatic. Its particulary useful for clips of relatives who won't let you point a camcorder at them! The ability to do some onboard editing is also handy.

I agonized between the EX-750 and the EX-S500 but chose smaller size over better image quality and have not regretted the purchase. Also, I had been very pleased with my 2 year old EX-P600, but rarely used the Aperture or Shutter priority, or the Bracketing options.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 9:30 AM   #8

I chose the S600 on the basis of its thinner size : I wanted to be able to carry it in my shirt pocket if necessary (not such a good idea unless it's a shirt pocket with a button !) and it has anti-shake, unlike the Z750.

The Z750 (or Z850 now) may be the better choice for the advanced photographer, as it offers both more and more accessible fine adjustment, but the S600 already has more than I will normally use.

If you read what Ken Rockwell has to say on the site I posted above, you will see that in his professional opinion, the choice of camera is not so critical to the images produced :idea:, so you might as well choose something that you will actually use. I love SLRs, but mostly left mine at home becasue it wasso big !

J.
jldelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 9:56 AM   #9

Thanks to all who responded and particpate in these forums -- your experiences and insights have been very helpful. I have ordered a EX Z750 on the strength of its movie mode &the fine adjustment potential (though I do not know how much I will use it). The 750has everythingI needalthought the IS would be nice.

One surprisingthing Ilearned on the canon forum is that my Canon S400apparently is considered by many tobe the best of the S series! Interesting how new new tech & more MP is not a panacea (as KenRockwell points out).