Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 10, 2006, 1:29 PM   #1

I need to pick up an ultra compact camera. The key dimension is the thickness of the camera and it will need to be .7" or thinner. I have a DSLR so I can sacrifice picture quality with this camera for it's accessibility to carry it comfortably in my pocket. Only needs to be 3 ish MP but I won't complain if it's more. Also the lack of zoom is not a concern.

I'm looking at the Canon SD20 right now but it's old and hard to find.

Features Wanted (in order of importance)

1 - Ultra compact. .7" or thinner

2 - Price (under $300)

3 - Picture quality
photo_nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2006, 1:31 PM   #2

I guess my question is who makes the smallest 3+MP camera that's not a complete piece of junk.

Old Jul 10, 2006, 3:02 PM   #3

I have always thought that the Casio EX-S600 looked nice and sleek, only .63" thick! 6 MP, 12X zoom...nice point and shoot. Also comes in cool colors!
Redhawks09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 3:29 PM   #4

I have a Casio EX-P600 and a Panasonic FZ-1, and later bought my wife a Casio EX-S500. Whilst being mainly a P&S photographer, I did compare the P600 with our old 35 mm camera, and then the S500 with the P600. Control of exposure is very good with both cameras and both are very fast in use. The P600 with 6 mg and a Canon lens is slightly sharper with 100% on screen crops, but the EX-S500 is the one we take out due to its slim size. (I use the Panasonic for wildlife due to its 12x zoom with image stabilisation and 4 fps burst mode). Many reviewers criticised the image quality, but most users (including ourselves) seem happy with their purchase. My wife doesn't understand or use the easy exposure compensations, ISO adjustments, etc, but likes the best shot modes for flowers and back lit subjects. I like the ability to customise and remember settings and don't miss the P600 shutter and aperture priority and bracketing features. I did a tremendous amount of reseach on all cameras before purchasing any of the three cameras, but have no other practical experience of other cameras.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 2:14 PM   #5

thanks for the suggestion. I picked up the Casio S600. Looks like the review on this site had good things to say about it and the physical size of the camera should be nice.

Thanks again for the help.

Old Jul 11, 2006, 3:17 PM   #6

Glad that you found the information helpful - its only my experience but there are a lot of other positive user reviews in Amazon, Dpreview, Cnet, etc.

I'm sure that you would play with the settings - I disabled the PLAY/REC buttons in the Setup menu. Otherwise, the camera can get turned on by accident getting it out of its case (a slim tobacco pouch to keep it slim!), and the lens extends to give an error.I set the contrast, saturation and sharpness to +1 in the Quality menu to get results that matched those of the other cameras.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 2:12 PM   #7

photo nathan,

I am also looking into a Ultra compact and am considering the S600. How do you like it so far? The pics looking nice?
Chad8737 is offline   Reply With Quote