Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 11, 2006, 3:22 AM   #1

hi guys.....I have found a good deal on a KM D7....thing is, I am not that advanced a photographer but would like to be.

Would the KM 7D be too much for me? My slr-experience: have used a friend's very old Nikon FE for a yr now, and ready to go digital. Not the richest chick on the planet so can't really upgrade very often; the camera I buy now will have to do for the next 6 yrs or so.

Also worried about the availability of lenses here in South Africa. I suppose I could order online from the US or UK. Thinking of getting Sigma 18-200 for my travel purposes for now, maybe something better later.

Thoughts on this camera for a quick-learning amateur?
lpatterton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2006, 3:38 AM   #2

I don't think a camera can be to advanced as long as it has some auto or semi-automatic modes. Maybe you will only use a small percentage of its features but if you're getting a good enough deal then nothings really going to waste. If you can use a regular SLR, you can use this camera.
Broncosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 4:04 AM   #3

you should jump in and get it! that's a great camera and you'll soon get to know the basics of it.
plus, the great thing about K-M is that you can get bargain prices for lenses which is a great plus as you outgrow your gear and find that you need better and better lenses.
cheers!
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 7:09 AM   #4

I will agree that the camera is NOT too advanced. The only real question is whether you are OK with a DSLR and the size/weight/extra gear that entails. The worst camera to have is the one you always leave at home. So, as long as you can accept the 'baggage' that comes with any DSLR then go for it. By all accounts it's a great camera that both novices and more experienced shooters can enjoy.

Good luck!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 11:02 AM   #5

I believe that the KM 7D is not too advanced as well. However, that may just be one half of the equation. Isn't the other half of the equation the sincere desire to move ahead with your photographic skills.

Undoubtedly, the KM 7D will take great photos. You can do the same,however, it is going to require a measurable learning curve as ell asasincere desire to become that better photographer in the process.

Please understand that I am sincerely not attempting to rain on anyone's parade. Rather, I would like you to just keep in mind that even concert pianists practice to retain their edge. Youimprove your skillsby learning your camera and the nuances of light. To do this you will need to take lots of photos, while attempting all the whileto gradually and progressively improve your photo skills.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 2:17 AM   #6

aggghhh so much for the good deal....I phoned them and it turns out their website isn't up to date, they don't have any in stock and obviously will never have that one again.

back to decisions decisions....

lpatterton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 2:46 AM   #7

As for affordable dSLRs you can look for Pentax and Nikon (D50) as well. These days Pentax have a rebate. You could also still look for a good K-M deal on the net. There is always one up, I think. Or you can count your marbles and go for Sony's A100.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote